Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 20:22

Plan: Smart Carb,Atkins,low fat
Stats: 197.5/189.5/150 Female 5feet 4 inches
BF:in a relationship
Progress: 17%
Lightbulb 6 simple suggestions

I have had my first successful week of obstaining from sugar and wheat. I wanted to share a couple of things which has inspired me and helped. Each morning I start with a simple prayer asking that I be supported in making good choices for myself, for that day.
...Organize your eating
...Make eating a conscious activity
...Identify why you eat out of emotion
...Use temptation to change your life
...Change unwanted behavior

I haven't mastered anything, I am just making it one day at a time. I feel so terrific after only one week. I do know about falling off, cheating, and the rest. I know that the first while changing anything can be a rush.....I am just not going to look at this as temporary, this has to be a lifestyle change for me. I am starting my second week of induction, and will stay with it until I am comfortable to move ahead. I have had a lot of help from this web site, thank you all.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 20:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/191.5/144 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Smile Hi!

Hi Miss Lilly!

I'm on day four of induction! Could you give me a few meal ideas that you have had. I'm already tired of meat , cheese ane lettuce! Thanks in advance!!

Julglo (Julie from Ohio)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 20:49

Smile Hi Julie

I was just resonding to your last post. xo
This week I barbqued a bunch of chicken and steak. I hard boiled 12 eggs. I made a salad of mixed greens...lettuce. For breakfast I have had eggs....quick scrambled. I bought a cute fry pan for omlettes...with cheese and salsa, sometimes a little steak. My salad has green peppers and cucumber, sometimes big green olives or black ones. And salad dressing. My real treat comes in the day while at work, I blend up 4 tbsp of whip cream with 8 oz water and sugar free vanilla.....throw in some ice and it is a yummy low carb shake. The foods I am making are all in the fridge for me, I am trying to set myself up for success. So far so good. xo
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 20:52

Default Julie

What I was getting at is that the foods I have prepared are in containers in the fridge, so that if I am hungry....I have something to turn to. The dressing I make is mayo, fresh dill (lots of it) 1 tsp lemmon juice, and some water to thin out. Fresh pepper.
The eggs I chopped up and sprinkled them on salad.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 20:55
Registered Member

BF:
Wink LOL

Hi MIss Lilly!!

Well, my friend at work always tell me when you fail to plan ...you plan to fail!!!

I need to get my fridge packed with foods that I can grab quickly. I love spicy foods! Are we allowed to have lemon juice while on induction. Is that considered a fruit? You food ideas sound delicious!! I"m getting motivated and I thank you tremendously!!!!!

#6   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 21:08

Default Lemon and Lime

Julie lemon juice is measured as 1 tbsp 1.3 carbs. You don't need that much, perhaps 1/2 that. I had fun shopping and making it all up. that's what Sundays are for! tomorrow I will go to the market..get fresh items, barbque something for the week...and keep going. I have eaten more meat and eggs in the past week than I have in the past two years! I didn't think I was such a carnevore! Tomorrow I am also getting some shrimp meat from the market, and will chow on that. If you would like we could keep in touch through our journals. i am always looking for inspiration.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 21:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 240/225/118
BF:
Progress: 12%
Wink

Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to prepare some things ahead now too ..great idea!

And the dressing recipe sounds good...I only have one for Thousand Island and I am getting tired of it so now I am going to try yours

I am on day 5...in ketosis and not hungry...I am like you guys..I really want to change my lifestyle not just diet until the pounds are gone. I know they will only come back if I eat as I did before.

Good luck to you both!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 21:40
Registered Member

BF:
Question Ketosis

Oh and that is another question--

Did you all use the ketosis strips??

I work with a couple girls that are doing Atkins and they stated that they knew they were in Ketosis by their urine? But do I need the strips? Is this a dumb question?? LOL
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 21:44
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: // Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default One of my favorites

This is one of my favorite dishes and I believe it's legal for induction (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Artichoke Chicken Bake

2 6-oz. jars of marinated artichokes, drained and chopped
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (fresh grated, not the stuff in the green can)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp garlic, chopped (about 1 clove)
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (I prefer 2 chicken breasts, and cut them in half as I like the chicken thinner)

Spray 11 x 7 inch baking dish with Pam. Salt and pepper the chicken breast pieces and place in baking dish. In a bowl, combine the artichokes, parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, and garlic, mix well. Spread artichoke mixture over chicken breasts. Bake uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.

This takes about 5 minutes to prepare and is so so good. For leftovers, reheat in microwave ~ 50% then pop under the broiler for a minute or so to crisp up the artichoke mixture again.

ljm
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 21:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 240/225/118
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Ketosis Sticks

I use Metabostix but there are many different brands. Just be sure you get the ones for diet and exercise ..I think there is one for diabetics that is not the same or something.

Ketosis sticks turn pink to purple if you are in ketosis according to Atkins' book. I use them to see if I am in ketosis or the fat burning state desired for the ketogenic diet <Atkins>

I suppose it is good motivation for me too ..to see the stick turn lets me know I am okay. And not overdoing carbs

Good luck to you!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 21:52

Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%
Default Re: 6 simple suggestions

Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Lilly
...Organize your eating
...Make eating a conscious activity
...Identify why you eat out of emotion
...Use temptation to change your life
...Change unwanted behavior

Such good advice!

Your list truly represents the hallmark of succes with this WOE, at least from my experience so far.

Organizing your eating and making eating a conscious activity are <b>so</b> important. Having the appropriate foods on hand, and planning when and how much to eat, is critical, and reduces the probability of falling into trouble with points 3, 4 and 5.

A little anecdote: I recently went to my 6yo's kindergarden class "end of school show". It was early, and we were a bit rushed getting him and my 4yo ready to go, and I just didn't have time to think about eating. Fortunately, I had some prepared celery sticks w/ cream cheese in the refridgerator, and grabbed half a dozen before leaving. Even so, I was not prepared for the onslaught of "temptation" that greeted me when we arrived at the school. Danishes, muffins, banana bread, big bowls of fresh fruit... ugh... But, I didn't cheat, and didn't let it bother me. Instead, turned my mind to how yummy those celery sticks with cream cheese were. lol...
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 21:57
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up Yum!

Your chicken bake sounds wonderful! My DH is doing this with me to support me and I need recipes like this. Thanks so much!!!

I'm getting hungry!!! lol
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 22:02
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: // Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

I hope you like it. It's amazingly good for how simple it is.

ljm
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 00:50

Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%

Great suggestions!

I HIGHLY recommend spending time in the low-carb recipe section of this site. I've learned some great snacks (some of them crunchy) and tried several dinner recipes and side dishes. So far all have been delish and give the variety I crave.

Just took some perch out to make the EASY baked fish tomo. This diet really doesn't need to be boring and repetitive for any out there struggling with that!!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 05:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Julglo, I'd HIGHLY recommend the same. You need variety and yummy foods!!!! Go look in the recipe sections and look for the threads with all the stars first.

Look in the section that rates the low carb foods

Go to www.netrition.com and click on the "very low carb foods" choice on the menu

READ READ READ READ

Knowledge is MORE than power here, it's yummy too!!!