Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 19:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192.5/177.2/135
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Any one else notice joints aching a little more?

Maybe I'm just getting OLD. But....I seem to be having problems with just plan old sore joints. I have increased my exercise but...I have been doing water exercises ..up from 2 days a week to 4 or 5. Just wondered if maybe the extra protein is causing this? Anyone feedback would be great. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 20:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I remember the muscle aches (almost like flu) that came with Induction But you are beyond that. Many people find that LC helps their joint pain & arthritis. Perhaps you should change your exercise routine. maybe you've just gone past what your body is comfortable with at the moment.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 20:38
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Ladyvlts,

My joint aches increased when I started LC. I read somewhere (long after I started unfortunately) that if you are prone to arthritis, it might be best to decrease carbs gradually rather than dropping suddenly.

What to do? The Drs Eades (authors of Protein Power) suggest that some folk might be sensitive to arachidonic acid, found in egg yolks and red meat. So you could try cutting down on your egg yolks and red meat for a bit and see if that makes a difference.

The other thing they suggest is taking fish oil capsules, 1 after meals three times a day. Definitely helps me! Try to get the enteric coated ones if you can, avoids the "fishy" burps.

The other thing that has helped my pore ole joints is celery seed tablets. Do make sure you drink plenty of water if you try the celery seed tabs, as they are mildly diuretic, and as low carbing itself has a diuretic effect, extra water is called for.

And I have to reinforce what tofi said here, too. (Don't want her bashing me up. ) It could be as simple as the increase in exercise. You could try cutting back a bit and see if that helps.

All the best!

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 20:56

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I wondered the same thing. Lately my back has been aching. And you'd think with all of the weight that Im NOT carrying around anymore that it would have lessened.

If anyone has any information about LCing and arthitis, I'd love to get a link to that. Arthritis is RAMPID in my family and I already have signs of it in my wrists and fingers (at 27 years old). Thanks.

~Angi~
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 21:15

Plan: lap band...low carb
Stats: 225/181/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default hi I'm Trisha

I too have started water aerobics, and I'm finding when I do too much, my muscles and joints will hurt...I'm moving things that I haven't moved in years...and I'm also using the water weights....I am a lupus/fibromyalgia patient and water aerobics is suppose to be one of the safest ways to exercise...they don't want me walking on a treadmill, or using a stair climber...If you're exercising everyday, you might want to not use weights every day. I find the days that I use them is the day's I'm the sorest...I am having fun with the aerobics, and I am starting swimming laps...Really, my all over body is getting better with Atkins and the aerobics...just, when you're sore, don't do too much, and build yourself up slowly...I did too much today and my lseft arm is hurting...so gonna take a pain pill and go to bed...

good luck...

Trisha
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 21:54

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I actually found the reverse to be true, as the weight came off my knees hurt less going up the stairs. I actually caught myself running up the stairs in the parking deck ( 4 flights ) the other day !
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 06:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192.5/177.2/135
BF:
Progress: 27%

Thanks everyone. I really think that if I was going to have pain it would have been back in October when I kicked up my exercise after my hysterectomy. Not...recently so I'm thinking it may be something I'm eating. I'll try some of the suggestions and Thanks everyone for the response!