Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 09:47
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/188/160
BF:42/40.2/20.0
Progress: 13%
Angry Zoloft..need help!

Hello Everyone. I believe I am having a major metabolic resistance problem. I REstarted Atkins again about 2.5 wks ago. When I did it before I lost weight..no problem. But this time, I am now on Zoloft for Panic Attacks. I have read that this medicine can cause major stalls in weightloss, and I feel that this is what is causing my problems.
In the 2.5 wks Ive lost no more than a few pounds. I drink lots of water, eat what I am supposed to, and walk every day. My keto strips test in the medium to high range EVERY DAY. Does it make sense that I am so high in ketosis, and not losing ANY weight?? I have taken my measurements as well, and no change. My scale has a BF measurement as well, and that has not moved.
What should I do?? I cant totally stop taking the medication due to my panic attacks. Are there any other options? Possibly alternative medication?

Please Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 10:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 123/117/108 Female 5'1"
BF:Unknown
Progress: 40%
Default I think..

you might be surprised after a few weeks of low-carbing, you may be able to get off the Zoloft........I had been having panic attacks for YEARS.....and was put on Zoloft to control them. After taking it on and off for two years, I got mad and (slowly) stopped the drug completely......I had read somewhere that carbohydrates can cause panic attacks so I decided to give this diet a try.... But, guess what?? Since starting the low-carb wol I have not had ONE panic attack.......nor have I had the 'stressed-out' feelings that I used to get just before I would have one. If you do decided to try to get off it, PLEEEAASSE do it slowly......your body will have some serious side effects if you just stop taking it.
Good luck.....
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 10:48
Registered Member

Talking

I've actually only been on the Zoloft for about a month and a half. I believe at 50mg. Im ashamed to say, but sometimes I forget to take it. Thats what happens with the hectic college/working life. Actually I think Ive only taken it 2x this week. The only thing that I have noticed having a probem with is feeling like my throat is closing in. I used to get that alot a long time ago, caused my stress. I havnt felt the "panic attack" feeling coming on in awhile though, which is good. I feel so out of control when that happens.
Im just afraid of the panic attacks coming back again. I am almost done with school...3 weeks to go!!! which was a resource for alot of my stress. So maybe this is the time to see if I dont need to be on the medication anymore. Ive tried everything from Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor, Prozac, Xanax, etc. I JUST WANT TO BE NORMAL! hehe
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 11:38

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

You may want to check with your prescribing Doctor about possibly switching to Wellbutrin.

It's a wide-use antidepressant that tends not to have any weight-gain issues as the others do. (In fact, i've heard it can encourage weight loss.)

I have no idea about if it has any anti-anxiety effects.

Your mileage may vary.

Hogey
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 12:22
Registered Member

Wellbutrin is primarily used to treat Depression. I am not depressed, but instead have an anxiety/panic attact disorder. One minute im fine...the next minute I'll have a panic attack out of the blue.
I think I just want to wean myself off all drugs all together, and try a more natural approach. I'm trying to work Yoga into the schedule!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 13:32

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 210/210/180
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi
The Zoloft you are on is for depression. It is an SSRI drug and they are all for depression. I would of thought you would be better of with a beta-blocker or a mild tranquillizer like diazapan (valium) I cannot for the life of me understand why some Doctors perscribe these SSRI's for anything other than Depresion/OCD and Bullima, as that is what they are for. I would watch out for side effects on Zoloft, it is not very user friendly, If you must go on a SSRI I would go for the tried and tested Prozac.
regards
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 13:36

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default SSRIs

gb,

All of the SSRI type drugs have a virtually identical side effect profile. Even Lexapro, the most "modern" of drugs in that class.

Weight gain (or lack of loss), sexual side-effects, etc.

Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Serzone, Celexa, Lexapro... all SSRIs.

At any rate, I wouldn't do anything without consulting your doctor. Going off an SSRI without medical consultation can be unpleasant. (If you don't taper the dose, you usually get flu-like symptoms.)

Hogey
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 13:42

BF:

Yes! I agree with you totaly, I was pointing out that Zoloft is an antidepressant in the SSRI class of drug, it is not normally used to treat ordinary Panic/Anxiety attacks.
regards
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 15:33
Registered Member

It actually is now perscribed as being used for panic disorder. I mean I can't say that it hasnt helped at all, because it has, compared to others that I've been on. The last medicine that I was on was the Lexapro, which is a form of Celexa. It is also used to treat panic disorder. Its all a chemical imbalance. I'm just frustrated about having to be on it at all. The last time I stopped taking the meds, I didnt have any side effects, except the panic attacks eventually came back.

Arg....
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 15:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/184/145
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Zoloft

I have been taking Zoloft for panic attacks for about 6 years now. They definitely prescribe it for panic attacks! I have tried reducing the amount I take in the past and the panic comes back. I think it does slow the weight loss down but I have been able to lose on Atkins's while taking the Zoloft. I would not go back to having panic attacks again for anything - even if I never lost weight!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 16:05

Stats: 220/195.5/150
BF:
Progress: 35%

My suggestion is to keep trying..I have been on Zoloft of several years for panic attacks. I also take Wellbutrin{for the side effects of the Zoloft, works great!} Now, I might lose faster if I were not on it, but I have lose 25 lbs since Jan...I have major periods of no loss. I lost 6 lbs on induction and then stalled for 6 weeks..but now I am glad I stuck with it...So hangth thou in there! Think of the positives..I don't retain water like before, I don't crave foods as bad, my weight doesn't fluctuate like it did....
Good luck!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 17:58
Registered Member

Vickielen and pjburck,
thankyou so much for your words of wisdom. Just reminding me.... that I would never want to go back to having another panic attack, that I would rather never lose another pound if it meant having another panic attack. I remember saying that I never wished a panic attack on anyone, even the worst of my worst enemies.
I will get through this! It is so true that I have felt SO much better!

Thanks again
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 06:41

BF:

Hi
I can tell you one thing for certain, your panic attacks will go away in the end, not sure if they wil while you are taking meds for it though. I had them years ago when I was 18, they used to frighten the living daylights out of me. In those days they used to use simple relaxation techniques. How it works is, as you have more panic attacks you learn how to control them over time until finally like me they stop. I used to get them terrible. sweating/palpatations/sweating/feeling sick/tremors/locked head/scared to move/tingling head to toe etc etc the list is endless.
But I am now 51 and have not had any more panic/anxiety attacks for over 30 years
So keep your chin up as they say.

Regards
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 07:48

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 241/212.5/150 Female 68 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 31%

I have post traumatic stress disorder (4 car accidents in a year, 3 totaled cars, none my fault). I took Zoloft.. its been the only medicine that nearly stopped my panic/anxiety. If you can live with the side effects, the drug I would reccomend. I quit taking it because of the numerous side effects. I take wellbutrin now and it helps some of the time.
Until reading this post, I hadnt paid attention or realized that I have had far fewer panic attacks while driving, since low-carbing. What an amazing thing!!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 08:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 235/220/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:37
Progress: 18%

I also have PTSD and suffer from panic/anxiety disorder.

Zoloft and Paxil are widely used for Panic disorder. They are much different than Prozac or Wellbutrin, regardless of whether they are all SSRI's or not. Prozac can also be used for PD but is not as effective.

I was on Paxil for awhile, but had some severe side effects. Due to my side effects, my doctor did some research and found the the best med for me given my severe Panic Disorder and severe side effects from medication was to go on Prozac (has the least occurance of side effects, most widely tested SSRI) and learn some relaxation and dealing techniques. Should this not work, I will have to start taking diazapam, or something similar.

Paxil and Zoloft are very similar. And they are both very bad in terms of withdrawl symptoms. Dependency is dictated by the drug's "half-life" (the length of time the drug stays in a person's body). The shorter the half-life, the worse the dependency adverse effects. Because Paxil's half-life is 21 hours, it ranks No. 1 in causing dependency. Zoloft follows close behind with a half-life of 26 hours.

Of all the SSRI's, Paxil also has the most evidence of weight gain in patients, Prozac has the most evidence of weight loss.

Not at SSRI's are made equal....