Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 16:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/220/215 Male 6 feet, 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default help, severe carb withdrawals.

I am so nauseated I can't eat ANYTHING! I can barely drink without feeling like i'm gonna puke. Its been like this for almost 24 hours, for 24 hours before that I had a horrible headache. If this doesn't end soon I really don't know if i can keep this diet up. I am on day 4 of the diet by the way.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 18:38
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

To me it sounds like your blood sugar has drop to low. Try eating some Sugar Free Jello. Slowly a little bit at a time while resting. Once your stomach settles, you can throw better food in there, like cheese or meats. This happens to me when ever my sugar level get to low, and water is the worst thing to throw in my stomach. Try not to go to long in between food, this will keep your levels even.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 06:02
Registered Member

Stats: 189/183/154 Female 5' 6"
BF:Too Much
Progress: 17%

Hi Trevmill!

I know what your going through, Day 3 WAS A KILLER! I felt nauseated, had a cracking headache from 2am that morning and I just wanted to be carted away to the nearest hospital. It was like all your worst ever hangovers rolled into one.

Day 4 - different story - All the nasties had gone and I felt great.

Day 5 (today) - feel even better than yesterday - tonnes of energy and feel very happy about things.

It's is v. weird this induction thing but PLEASE hang on in there - you will get better. I was doubtfull when I was told it would all go away the next day. BUT IT DID. I was advised to take Nurofen Plus for the headaches and it did give some relief.

Just know that this won't last long

Take Care

Last edited by Omo : Thu, May-29-03 at 06:05.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 07:31

Plan: Atkins+BFL
Stats: 208/188.5/165 Male 5 ft 9.5 in
BF:27.5%
Progress: 45%

I posted a similar desperate message during my 3rd-4th day on this very board. Was told to bully through. By the next couple days I had forgotten why I even posted (and felt better than before I started the diet).

You'll get there. Be strong. Then be amazed at how tight a hold those evil carbs had on you.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 18:04

BF:

I do feel SOME better today. Last night all I could stomach was 3 saltine crackers, and some beef jerkey. VALIUM was also my friend, it eased off the nausea and helped me go to sleep. Still, the thought of eating a piece of meat right now makes me want to HURL!!!

Question, can you eat pork rinds during induction? They have 0 carbs and no listing for sugar on the back. I've got to find SOMETHING I can stomach.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 19:11

BF:
Default Yep, I'm an addict. Thank god for Valium.

After doing some further research, i've come to the conclusion that I am indeed suffering from carb withdrawals. I am a Taco Bell JUNKIE!! I probably used to take in a minimum of 500g carbs per day, and now i'm trying to stay under 20g and its killing me.

I'm a nurse, and I see people withdraw from alcohol and heroin all the time. Granted, their withdrawal is FAR worse, but I can sympathize with them now. I still don't know why we don't let the alcoholics have a beer with each meal or something while they're in the hospital just to keep them from withdrawing...its not like they're going to stop drinking or anything. Oh well, I'm just rambling.

I just hope I start feeling better soon or i'm going to have to start guzzling GatorAde so I can function and not miss any days of work.

I went to work the other night and I had that "pukey" feeling all night. I had a salad with raw spinach leaves, grape tomatoes, chicken, cheese, and low carb dressing, and that was the last thing I ate for over 24 hours due to the severe nausea and headaches that set in afterwards.

Being a nurse, I can't provide the care my patients deserve if I feel sick as hell myself! Please God let it end!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 20:11

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hang in there, it will end!!! I felt a lot better around day 5 or 6.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 20:48

Stats: 155/145/130
BF:33.3%/30.8%/26%
Progress: 40%

I did the same thing. By day three, I thought I was going to die. Nuts helped me through. I am at day 11 and cant remember why I ever thought carbs were the best thing there was to eat and I feel great.

Hang in there-you can do it!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 02:01

Plan: Personal
Stats: 225/212/205 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hey Trev, I'm a big fan of Taco Bell too!! There's a good taco beef recipe on this site, and I usually make that, and add some stolen Taco Bell hot sauce to it! Their sauce is so good!

Hope you're feeling better!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 02:48

BF:

I feel a little better now guys. Thanks for all the support. If it weren't for you telling me that you'd been through the same thing, I'm sure I would have dropped the diet by now.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 20:15

BF:
Default Withdrawals Gone!!!!

The withdrawals are finally gone!! They've actually been gone a couple days, but I didn't want to say anything and jinx myself. I'm a new man now!! And I do feel like i have a good bit more energy!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 00:06

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

To be honest I can't remember if the pork rinds are o.k. on induction, but wanted to caution you on the sodium levels they contain, go easy on them

Cheers Kathy
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 01:08
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Hey there

Trev I am also a nurse I work on the APche Indian Reservation and understand what you are sying about alcohol withdraw3 and giving the patients a beer...there is a hospital in Phoenix that does that gives their alcoholic patients that are there a beer with each meal if thaey are not looking to quit...which the vast majority of my DT pateints here are not.

Are you feeling a lot better now?? Sorry you felt so cruddy...just keep that in mind before cheating you don't wnat to go through that agin

Hey...you should start a journal so we can vist you there...fell free to stop by my journal anytime...I love new faces in there