Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 16:55

Plan: CAD with a few modificati
Stats: 193/141/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Joy, I am not trying to poke holes in anything, I was just stating that the fat fast is for someone who no matter what does not lose "any" weight and that it can be dangerous if you are truly not metabolically resistant. I am just stating that out of pure concern. Sorry if it offended you. I did not mean to make an argument out of it, just a caring person trying to help.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 04:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/190/120
BF:
Progress: 22%

Thanks for responding. I don't need to do a journal because I am following the book exactly. The fat fast is 1000 calories the first week, 1200 the second and my choices are exactly the same as the book. Today is my first day back on induction. I will see how this week goes but I plan to keep my carbs lower than 20 and my calories at no more than 1500.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 07:30

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Default Exercise?

You don't mention exercise. Dr. Atkins also recommends exercise. I'm not exactly losing at light speed, but at least the scale is going in the correct direction. I am just walking. I was and plan to get back to some weight lifting. This will probably make the scale stop and the inches fall off. But, even if you cannot get out and walk, you could get some light dumbbells and do arm exercises. (Bicep and Triceps) Muscles increase your metabolism. Moving increases your metabolism. I know this is a problem I personally have with having a "desk jockey" job. My mind gets tired, but my body didn't really do anything.

I also read of medications causing resistance, but you don't mention if you are on medication. He also recommends several supplements. Are you also taking those? I know you said you were following the fat fast and the choices exactly, but I didn't want to assume you were taking supplements and you weren't. They may be "just what the doctor ordered." (pg 261).

I wish you success...
  #19   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 12:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/187/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Fat Fast?????

Help...

looking for some advice on this program....

I have been on Atkins since late Dec... have lost 15 lbs... but most of that was in the first month... NOTHING has come off in ages...

I was thinking of Dialing back to" INTRO" but for the longest time... I never really left it... well to say... that I kept my carbs at 20-25 max... a day...

It's just been in the last month that I haven't kept a chart... but know enough to keep the carbs to a minimum... and still no change... for better or worse.... ????

I have also tried experimenting... with caffine reduction... staying away from aspertan... not eating the atkins bars... and so on... those too didn't yeild any differences...

I Even... at WOL start... stopped taking my Anti "D" meds... *welbutrin* but have, in the last week... needed to start up on agian...

So... This is my delema.... and why I wonder'd... if maybe... just maybe... the FAT FAST would be my next option....

Only trouble is... most of the outlined meals... are... well to me... YUCK... but I'm sure I could handle it for a few days.... if it meant a weight loss...

HELP.... PLEASE... any advice and or comments...

Shell...
  #20   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 15:00

Plan: my own ~ fasting.
Stats: 178/134/110 Female 4ft.11
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Fat fast

I went on a fat fast on April1. for 5 days. Lost.6 lbs. have kept off as of today.
I called Atkins center on fat fasting. I didnt go to the second part for 7 days but that was i didnt know that i should have.
The hardest part on fast fast was Not having diet rite at least once a day. But u know I found out through Atkins that i could have had Diet rite at any time on fat fast and beyond. as much as i wanted.
Iam losing and iam down now to 140lbs.
I write all my calaries down and i Found that for Me to get this moving down that i had to Lower calaries. to 1000 or less for week and i will do untill end of month and see how it goes.
My Carbs are 20-or Less. upped fat too.
I feel great and i think that if u find something that helps kick weight loss in then go for it. u know your body. If I need to up calaries some day to 1400 or more then do and back off when i feel body is ready.
Drink water and start moving body. I find Nothing wrong with being on 1000-1200 a day. in fact most Doctors have givin out diet to follow on 1000-1200.
If u need to up fat little more or less then do that too.
Like today. i trimed fat of pork chopps and said to self hey wait a mintine. Grill the fat and eat that too,. right /to up fat like that.?/
I would do another fat fast if i feel i need to. but right now am moving down, Started Feb 1st,
If any one needs an email buddy to help along and reach goals and help to kick in exersicing then email me.
Today i had 4 0z. steak. and 3 cups salad.with dressing.
Does any one know the calaries in 4-0z. steak?/ and hamburgar4 oz. -6oz?? i think i would eat more of that if i knew for sure.
Like i guessed Steak was 350. hope not more.
u go for it and if fat is what u need to do and if u find u neeed to keep around 1200.ok in my book. call doctorand ask or better yet call Atkin center and ask about doing 1200 a day for while till your body kicks in and see what they say.
I feel great with doing atkins and i find doing his way and part mine at time helps. and i bet you he would say. if that is what it takes to stay with this and get body going great. Calaries do count and matter. some people can have more food and others can not and lose. good liuck. At end of month will post my wt.
also i have been taking
for 2 weeks. CLA and it helps.
janet
165/140/100 by fall. Keytones dark.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 09:03
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 245/261/180 Female 63
BF:
Progress: -25%

janetkind

have you tryed calculating your menu on "fitday.com"
i though i could have sodas as much as i want but had to reread the program and found out you are supposed to count each as 1 gram. i was also using sweetner at the expense of getting enough vegetables

your welcome to take a look at my journal and my fitday and i would welcome your input , share our lessons

as a result of searching for info on the fat fast some one has volunteered to be my counselor and has put me on the right track
as far as how to do atkins but mainly to get me out of my denial
and fear of fat
good luck

talkercise
  #22   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 14:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/190/120
BF:
Progress: 22%

Thank you all so much!!!
These were great ideas. Came home from a weekend of staying on Atkins after the 1200 fat fast and found many helpful hints. And, had my husband hide the scale because I think that a once a week wiegh and measuring my waist will help me stop obsessing. Anyway, I think you all added some great ideas. On exercise, I am but not as much as usual. One hint on fat fast, you will be tired!!
And, if you like to exercise in the am, it might be tough to get up!

On the limited calories, I am going to stay at no more than 1200.

On the 4 oz of steak, depends on the cut, but 350 was a great estimate.

I'll try that fit thing this week also. And I have been thinking about the supplements. Will read up this week!!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 14:59

Plan: my own ~ fasting.
Stats: 178/134/110 Female 4ft.11
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default hi

If u would like to be email buddies with doing this and getting to exersing emil me and we can do it together. bet that would help or lets go to chat. my hubby just started atkins today to.
take care.
janet