Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 22:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%
Question Those in OWL--Your CCL?

I am just curious about how many carbs you need to eat and still lose weight on OWL? Now, I know it is a personal thing, everyone has their own number, but I thought it would be interesting to see what level everyone is at?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 23:38

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%
Progress: 100%

I like to stay around 35grams but my ccl is much higher. I just feel safer to stay at the 35grams for now anyways.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 07:04
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Between 30-40g. Probably very close to 35g but I don't count splenda carbs so there are a few right there.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 07:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I don't count. I just try eat only from the foods on the induction list in addition to berries, eat in moderation, and concentrate on eating a lot of vegetables.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 10:24

BF:

Thank you all so much! I am scared to go to OWL and increasing carbs but I think I will just stay at 20, maybe 25 until I lose more. It is great to know you can go to around 35 and still lose!!! Thanks so much!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 10:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by wordlady
I don't count. I just try eat only from the foods on the induction list in addition to berries, eat in moderation, and concentrate on eating a lot of vegetables.

This is eventually what I want to do as well but being new I have to count for a while yet until I really learn how to low carb for the rest of my life.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 10:50

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Thanks for posting this question, justcindy, I've been wondering the same thing. I'm a young, fairly active college student and not overweight (I just wanted to loose 20 lb and live healthier) and yet I started gaining weight when I hit 45 carbs a day. I thought this sounded low 'cause in Atkins For Life most of the success stories are about middle-aged people that were significantly overweight and had health problems, yet most of them could have 50 or 60 a day. I don't know why my CCL is so low. Maybe it was all the fake food I was eating, I've cut that out now and am working on seeing what level I can maintain at now.

I'll be checking this thread for more responses.

Jamian
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 02:46
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 207/200/180 Male 170 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 26%

I'm eating up to 60 gram carbs/day and still loosing, although very slowly. I have reached my goal but can do with yet another couple of pounds off, even if it's not necessary. It seems like it's true what they say: The body works itself slowly to it's ideal weight on this diet. At least it seems that way to me.

I also handle different sorts of carby foods differently. As long as it's fruit or starchy vegetables, I have no problem to handle the carbs (no weight gain at all). Give me a small portion of whole grain pasta and my body gets crazy: Aching stomach, storing water (=> weight gain) and blood flushes. I just had a try this weekend and spent the evening in bed feeling miserable - will not retry.

So, the key is just to find what kind of carbs your body can handle (and how many) when you reach your goal. It's not only the carb level, but also what kind of carbs you can handle.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 07:03
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Hi Cindy,

Yes....you are right...for everyone it's different. For me so far (knock on wood) if I stay within the 35 to 40 gram level, I am able to maintain a continual weight loss...on average anyways. Best bet is to tinker with it a bit. I know it's scary to increase your levels for fear of gaining back what you lost, but I think you will find out fairly quickly if an increase of 5 grams has any affect on you.

Continued success!

Keep smiling

Jo
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 07:08

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

Have you tried any of the low carb pastas MKM?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 00:24

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Bump!
Wana hear more!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 00:59
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 207/200/180 Male 170 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally posted by RickinTN
Have you tried any of the low carb pastas MKM?

No. I live in Sweden and we have none of the special low carb foods here, that can be found in the States. I was happy to find whole wheat pasta in a health shop (yes - it is as bad over here). It's even really hard to find non-sugar food here. The manufacturers put sugar into everything (and reduces the fat...). I hope for more people to discover low carb here too!

Regards

--Maria
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 01:59
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Hello

I am on premaintance and I think CCL is between 50 and 60 as long as I avoid most refined sugars. Fruit and starchy vegies seem fine and some bread but sugars make me crave...And i never thought about it but the other night had some pasta and my belly hurt and felt gassy...May have to look at that, I usually just don't eat pasta

I don't lose very fast at this carb level but I am enjoying myself...Since I am doing a CAD/Premaintance Atkins mix I eat all the carby foods at one meal..midday meal. And low carb vegies, salad and meat at the other