Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 16:09

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 148.5/141.5/132
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default CAD for diabetics?

I was visiting some other boards and did some research on CAD for diabetics and from what I read so far, this diet is not safe for Diabetics. I'm being told that the Atkins or Dr. Bernstein's diabetes solution is better for Diabetics. I tried Dr. Bernstein and Atkins and I felt like I was starving myself. According to page 91 of CAD Healthy Heart Program, this diet can quickly reduce insulin levels and the oral medication I take can rapidly and drastically be reduced. Is this true? I really need to hear from you diabetics out there who have been on this program. Will my Doctor kill me for being on this program? He told me to limit my carbs but wouldn't give me a program to try. I really want to try CAD but I don't want to hurt my condition. My last HgA1c was 7.0 which is not exceedingly high but not great. I also need to lose 10 pounds. I really don't know what to do.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 20:22
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/140/120 Female 5:4
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default cad diabetics and hypoglycemia

I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia a few years ago, and I have tried every diet, but never lost any weight, and my life is a constant struggle to feel good. I started cad, and while Im aware that my condition is the opposite of yours, I dont see any wrong in doing it since it means that I for the first time can control my eating and I feel good. I recommend that you try cad but don't go too crazy on the reward meal, make sure to eat your protein first and then some veggies and maybe some sugar free desserts. I love cad and i can easily stay on this program for the rest of my life. Why don't you just see how you feel on this and be sure to monitor your blood sugar. Best of luck
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 08:57
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I am not diabetic. However, I gave the diet to 7 diabetics where I used to work (in addition to about 50 other people). Two of the people were taking two shots of insulin a day and others were taking oral medications or watching their diets (I don't know what their dosages were). All of these people lost weight and eliminated their insulin. The ones taking the two shorts were off all insulin within three months. They all lost weight.

With CAD, as with any WOE, if you are diabetic you should closely monitor your blood sugar levels and if taking insulin or glucophage your dosages and reduction of same should be done under the care of a physician.

Good luck!!