Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 20:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/155/135
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Triathlon training...help!

Hi all!

I need some good advice with regards to carb intake and triathlon training.

I have signed up to do 3 triathlons this season....an international distance, a half-ironman, and a sprint.

I'm having difficulty doing long training sessions with only water....I am thinking of using a carb laden sports drink (with some protein) before and during long runs, bikes, and swims....what do you think?

I DO NOT want to gain any weight while training and I am afraid that I will with the intake of carbs......

Please help if you have any ideas, suggestions on the matter...it would be greatly appreciated! ;O)

Laura
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 15:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/188/165
BF:
Progress: 45%

see the thread 12 hour run--what to eat? you may get some answers there. I am doing several tri's this summer and am currently following atkins to shed some undesired ballast. good luck with your tri's
dug
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 15:11
Registered Member

Stats: 265/224.1/205 Male 70 inches
BF:39%/27.1%/20%
Progress: 68%

I think you will need to learn a little through trial and error. I cycle a lot and am not too concerned about taking a power bar with me for rides of 2.5 hours or more. I also make my own sports drink. Still working out some "kinks" LOL. For rides nearing 3 hours or more I carry a 70 oz water pack with water and maybe a couple packets of splenda for taste. In a 20 oz water bottle I mix 1/4 tsp each of salt and salt substitute (potassium) with 1-2 packets of splenda and 2-4 tbsp of corn syrup. (the more syrup, the less splenda) I still carry a power bar. BTW, I cut my power bars in half and use only 1/2 at a time. On those days were I feel good, I can avoid the extra carbs.

If you use the above and include 3 tbsp of syrup you get about 620 mg of both salt and potassium & 46 g of carbs (226 calories). This seems to meet my needs at 235 lbs, while ave HR of about 150-155 over a few hours. YMMV!

As I start to look at 5-6 hours on the bike, I plan to play with some of the carb gels. I'm looking at my complimentary packet of CARB BOOM that I got from Performance Bicycles right now. 27 grams of carbs but only 3 of sugar.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 12:50

Stats: 152/132/132 Female 67 in
BF:33%/15%/12%
Progress: 100%

You shouldn't be too worried about using a replenishment drink such as Cytomax, Accelerade, Gatorade, etc., or a power-gel in the midst of superhard activity such as biking or racing.....a 130 pound woman averaging just 16 mph on the bike burns 590 calories per hour....a power gel is only 100 calories. All that carb goes straight to your bloodstream and will be used up really quickly. I cycle 100+ miles per week and have found this does not affect my weight. I have done 5 triathlons this year, two bicycling centuries, am doing the MS-150 this weekend, and have also done running races (5ks) and duathlons. I have maintained my Atkins goal weight for 6 months now.