Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 14:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/148/120 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default We just can't get used to-----

the low carb catsup or any of the dessert recipes in the Atkins cookbook. We have the Atkins catsup and it's so bad!! I tried to make brownies from the cookbook and it was so gross!!! I even made a cheesecake and it was awful too. I guess I'm looking for REAL desserts--not these pretend ones. I've search the recipe forum for hours. I can't find anything that is actually halfway decent tasting.

Anyone try the mixes from Pleasantville Cookie company??
I know they are expensive--but if I find something that actually tastes good--I'll buy it!!!

Holly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 14:45

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

I agree wholeheartedly about the ketchup - it is discusting. All low carb ketchup i have found is... Have you tried Karen's Cheesecake on the recipe part of the forum - tastes exactly the same as regular...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 14:52

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I use Estee SF ketchup and it tastes just like Heinz. I've had the Carbolite (I believe) cheesecake mix and it tastes just like a regular old cheesecake (I like it best w/o the crust).

There's also a peanut butter cup recipe on here that's supposed to be really good. Also, I think some people use Atkins bake mix in lieu of flour for Nestle's/Hershey's chocolate cake (recipe on cocoa tin).

It's pretty much hit or miss w/some of the recipes, unfortunately. At least you have a head start on finding out what you don't like.

Happy hunting!
Nikki
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 14:56

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%
Talking Ketchup blah!

I don't use Ketchup I use Salsa!!

Much tastier!

Pascale
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 14:57

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default My discovery

After going through the same experience-
terrible ketchup [and ketchup used to be my favority vegetable]
even worse desserts [the only good ones are 99% cream]
I found a cookie called SOYBITE made by a company called zeesoy here in the Bronx - these cookies are AMAZING
They taste like Stella Doro cookies-the italian cookies- kind of bland but it was like discovering life again. And they do not stall me which the bars did. There is Splenda in them as well.
I know they are on line but retail I pay 3.79 a box and they are my treat !!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 15:26

Plan: SBD
Stats: 209/173/150 Female 5'7"
BF:40.9%/33.5%/23%
Progress: 61%
Cool Cheese cake

I have found a couple cheesecake recipies on these forums that I really like. the url below has a killer New York cheesecake. I made it with out the nut crust and it was excellent. I actually gave away a bunch of it so I wouldnt eat it all. There is also a quick no back cheesecake type "pudding" that you don' t bake recipe on that forum.

(http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=88153 )Have you gone to those places and looked around. Some of the stuff sounds yummy. The posters there have some great ideas. Let me know if this Url does'nt work.
www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe062.html
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 15:37

Plan: Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 188/173/155 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Talking Other things!!

First - try pizza sauce instead of ketchup - you don't need as much and it tastes great on eggs!!

Second - instead of trying to find substitutes for the sweet things that you used to eat and love, look for other things that will satisfy your sweet tooth!

Have you tried the mock danish (recipe section under breakfasts)? I eat this with a mock maple syrup - 1/2 Tbsp of melted butter, 1/2 packet of sweetener, a drop each of cream and maple flavour. Pour this over top. Delicious! (This can be really good for dessert or for breakfast with a peice of bacon or two - just like a Grand Slam Breakfast!)

Also, try a 1/4 cup of whipped cream with cocoa powder and sweetner, whipped really good - it's like a chocolate mousse and really satisfies me - especially during that PMS time. I saves me from eating Kit Kats or choco chip cookies!

I've spent some time playing with my favourite recipes and trying different things and haven't really felt deprived and I have yet to resort to any of the mixes. Have fun with it!!

Last edited by The Goose : Wed, May-21-03 at 15:41.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 18:20
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

As far as ketchup goes, I've long since decided that I'd rather use a little of the real stuff, measure it, and count the carbs than try to make my own (unsatisfactory) or pay the indecent prices they charge for the LC stuff. TJ's organic ketchup has 3 grams per tablespoon, and I actually do measure out the tablespoon that I use on my burgers when I have them.

--Ruth (ducking to avoid the hail of empty LC ketchup bottles!)
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 19:33

Stats: 215/215/180
BF:

Doesn't cocoa powder have carbs? Or is there a carb-free version?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 20:41

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally posted by RGale
As far as ketchup goes, I've long since decided that I'd rather use a little of the real stuff, measure it, and count the carbs than try to make my own (unsatisfactory) or pay the indecent prices they charge for the LC stuff. TJ's organic ketchup has 3 grams per tablespoon, and I actually do measure out the tablespoon that I use on my burgers when I have them.

--Ruth (ducking to avoid the hail of empty LC ketchup bottles!)

I thought that even though you can count the carbs, you weren't supposed to eat it because it has added sugar? Am I misunderstanding?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 21:09

Stats: 220/220/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:too much
Default that's what I do

Just have a little. And if it's the only sugar you have, then just a little wont kill ya.

The sugar IS a carb, so if you count your carbs to have a tad of the 'real' stuff then it really wont hurt. (IMHO)
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 21:25

Plan: Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 188/173/155 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Unsweetened cocoa powder (like Fry's) has no sugar in it and does have 3g carbs per tablespoon but I only use a fraction of that - I call it 1g carb.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 01:42
Registered Member

Stats: 172/157/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default No Ketchup for me

Have you ever thought of trying to substitute something else in place of the ketchup. Thats what I have done. Instead of using ketchup on my eggs now I use hot sauce...its actually pretty tasty. Just check the label some varieties have carbs, some dont. I eat mayo, mustard, a little Ranch dressing.

I once tried a low carb bar but didnt like it...tasted to me like pre- natal vitamins.

I have decided to eat as my treat sugar free jello with whipped topping...yummy! It tastes great and also not a known staller. Theres nothing in it !! I'm sticking with that cause I have heard the muffins, cheescakes and other goodies can stall your weight loss.. Not for me !!! When I near my goal more I will then look for some of these low carb goodies.....

Just my opinion on this !!!

We can do this together !!!

Support - Success

Traci
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 06:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I'm with you guys on this, and I'll cast my vote for Ragu Pizza Quick sauce. Yummy!!!

As far as the desserts go, I feel for you. I don't like the cream/soupy consistency of many of them. I've never been a big fan of cream cheese unless it's surrounded by a bagel.

My husband make this WONDERFUL dessert that tastes like cannoli filling. Ricotta cheese, vanilla, splenda are the main ingredients.

I think for us picky folks, you just have to play around with your favorite ingredients. I also think of my favorite things and then put it in the search function under desserts; that helps.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 06:10

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

can you post your hubby's cannoli filling recipe?? I LOVE that stuff!

thanks