Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 11:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 132/126.7/118
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Karen-Lo carb Bread

Karen/others- What is the purpose of oil in a low carb bread? I made some Atkins recipe last night and realized when it was in its second rise that I had forgotten the oil! Since I was making it by hand and not a machine, I couldn't add it at that point. I baked it anyway, so as not to waste the $$, and it actually tasted like regular yeast bread. One problem, though- a huge air bubble at the top made it rise around a big hole, and it took much longer for the lower dough to bake up. Would the oil have held it together, better, or is this just the nature of low carb bread or bread baking in general? I am not a bread maker, and that was my first attempt low carb or otherwise. It does taste good, but little of it could be used for slices since it was so "holy". Thx!
Nannie

Last edited by last15 : Wed, May-21-03 at 14:08.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 00:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Would the oil have held it together

No. The oil is for better mouthfeel because LC breads can be fairly dry. The big bubble sounds like it could be technical - either there was an air bubble trapped inside the dough, or some of the yeast may not have been thoroughly dissolved. You usually only see big holes in slowly developed traditional doughs that use a starter. I've only dabbled in LC bread and have found that they have a very tight crumb. Not airy at all.

Practice makes perfect!

Karen