Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 23:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 136/146/150
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default pure sucralose powder

One of the sticky threads in the discussion fora refers to the unavailability of unadulterated sucralose in your country. Johnson and Johnson have told me that there is no demand for this in the U.S . In Australia we are not treated like such morons. I believe your local status in the marketplace will change shortly . The mainstream medical acceptance of the health benefits of L.C. ing is developing its own unstoppable momentum. Isn't it fun to be a nutritional revolutionary! But it seems to have it's attendant disadvantages.
So....
we can supply :
(1) splenda brand sucralose tablets witch have .3 kjoule per tab. They are tabletized with small amounts of lactose which is why they are not zero carb. 6.5mg sucralose/ tab- equivalent in sweetness to 1 teaspoon sucrose. 300 tabs / Packet. Convenient to use and measure. $A 10.20 /packet+ $A ~20 P&H for up to 15 packets.

By the way, the net is full of dubiously documented scaremongering about sucralose. I've read as much as I can stomach. Do your own research. All I can say is that gram for gram I'd much rather be eating sucralose than anything that my body recognizes as carbohydrate! Sucralose is bound to kill me a lot slower than any other sweetener currently available, with the possible exception of stevia . Unfortunately stevia, IMHO ,tastes like sweet paint stripper in most foods. YMMV!

(2) for the purists:
(a) 25% sucralose liquid concentrate. In a water base with some potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate (0.01% of each) as preservatives. 50 gm bottle . i.e. 750 drops. Each drop 250 mg. sucralose = 40 tspns sucrose. If you want to use it by the tspn I suggest you dilute it with distilled water , measure it by the drop and keep it in the refrigerator. - $A 30 + $A20 p& h. for up to 10 X 50gm bottles.

(b) micronized sucralose powder . 50 gm bottle. 1gm = 0. 125 tspn = 154 tspns sucrose. $A 125 + $20 p&h. Believe me , you get very accurate at judging the amout that will fit on a pinhead. One pinhead of pure sucralose is about the same sweetness as two teaspoons of sucrose.

You shouldn't use the powder if there is a draft /wind passing by.
It is a very fine powder! It is very soluble in water /alcohol and not very soluble in lipids i.e. fats. I am apalled that Mc Neil ( the company that markets sucralose in your country prevents low carbers having access to a zero carb form of Splenda(tm). Good luck!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 00:16
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there stiltO,

Splenda, in granular form and in the tablets, is freely available in supermarkets here, but I haven't seen liquid sucralose or pure sucralose powder anywhere in Brisbane.

Whereabouts have you bought it?

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 01:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 136/146/150
BF:
Progress: 71%

hello Rosebud.
Fancy that , another Brisbanite. I was under the impression from the sticky thread about liquid Splenda concentrate that the only form of sucralose available in the States was the granular dextrose contaminated form. For a low carber this sucks, which is why I suggested the tabs. We bought the pure sucalose powder and liquid concentrate directly from Johnson and Johnson (who market Splenda in Australia. The pure stuff is very expensive, and they only sell bulk amounts of it , so it's a substantial outlay, but because we are developing a line of dark chocolate that has no polyols , i.e. maltitol, lactitol etc. or sweetening of any kind except sucralose and a small synergistic amount of stevia, we need the concentrates. We think there are a lot of chocoholic low carbers out there who are looking for something a bit better than maltitol and lactitol sweetened chocolate. Reading the ongoing lament for unadulterated sucralose has got us thinking.

cheers,
Stuart
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 20:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Greetings.

In North America (the US, Canada and Mexico), it is "illegal" or Off-License to sell pure sucralose, in a user-sweetener or tabletop format, as a retail item. Only Splenda/McNeil has the right (or the right to sell the right) to market packets and granular/spoon-for-spoon format sucralose.

I strongly suspect this is also the case in Australia.

Sucralose 25% solution and pure unfillered powder are available in bulk to product developers, practitioners and/or manufacturers only, under stringent conditions.

This information is also embedded in various places in the 'sticky' Liquid Splenda thread in the Products forum.

Do be wary of offering retail sale to all comers, you may end up being "hammered" and having your access to the bulk product withdrawn by the Splenda/McNeil corporation, this has occurred to various businesses here in North American in the last couple of years, even those IMPORTING liquid retail Splenda from where it IS legal/licensed (South America) thus far.

Further, please do be aware of our Forum Rules (especially Rule 5 re Solicitation) when considering offering products and goods for sale on this website. Discussion with the Webmaster before doing so is STRONGLY recommended.

Not to be a wet-blanket, but this is information you need to familiarize yourself with, as a product developer and an individual, and as you spend more time with us here in the Active LowCarber site.

PS: do keep us posted on the product development! My experience as a "foodie" says it's VERY difficult to replace the texturizing effects of sugars...
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 23:25
Registered Member

Plan: Lofatcity (Picture of Health) Atkins type
Stats: 96/92.4/64
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi Stilto,

I am going through heaps of Splenda tablets with my cooking and quite frankly am getting a bit tired of having to crush the tabs with my mortar and pestle.

Wish Splenda would review its policy not to market a liquid product to the general market.

ozgal
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 23:50
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
I am going through heaps of Splenda tablets with my cooking and quite frankly am getting a bit tired of having to crush the tabs with my mortar and pestle.

Try dissolving the tablets in the teensiest amount of hot water. You should be able to dissolve at least five in a teaspoonful. If your recipe sues cream, dissolve it in the cream.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 01:11
Registered Member

Plan: Lofatcity (Picture of Health) Atkins type
Stats: 96/92.4/64
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks Karen,

Will give that a try.

ozgal
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 19:46
Registered Member

Stats: 280/240/160
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default buy sucralose

I'd love to buy the liquid and the sucralose powder...
do you have a web store ?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 19:54
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Default Re: buy sucralose

Quote:
Originally posted by fewercarbs
I'd love to buy the liquid and the sucralose powder...
do you have a web store ?

Liquid sucralose (Splenda) is only available commercially. The powdered Splenda is available in many retail outlets.

Rosebud
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 15:17

Plan: Atkins, South Beach
Stats: 167/145/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 52%

Stilto..If u are still on this board would u PLEASE email me as I am not able to PM on here yet. I have questions for u PLEASE hurry *************

Last edited by Rosebud : Tue, Aug-26-03 at 18:00. Reason: Removal of email address. Please reread the forum rules.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 20:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

Look, yes you can not sell 25% sucralose resale or the 100% powder. But you can sell it reduced lower and sell it as a Unflavored "syrup" mix. At a 12.5% solution it is still has a very potent sweetening power. I buy it that way. I keep 2 or 3 bottles of it. But it cannot be labeled as "liquid Splenda". It also has to be labeled in the ingrediants that it is "splenda" brand sucrolose. We are develeping flavor syrups for shaved ice and have asked all these questions to our rep.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 23:17

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian559
Look, yes you can not sell 25% sucralose resale or the 100% powder. But you can sell it reduced lower and sell it as a Unflavored "syrup" mix. At a 12.5% solution it is still has a very potent sweetening power. I buy it that way. I keep 2 or 3 bottles of it. But it cannot be labeled as "liquid Splenda". It also has to be labeled in the ingrediants that it is "splenda" brand sucrolose. We are develeping flavor syrups for shaved ice and have asked all these questions to our rep.

http://www.naturesflavors.com/produ...roducts_id=2851

I haven't bought any since I have pure Stevia which works just fine for me...But, you can buy the Splenda Syrup Bases as he said from the above sight. I might consider trying some of their flavored syrups, though.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 17:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

The natures flavor has a slight thickener in it and a slight vanilla taste. Very good tasting
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 01:34

Plan: proteinpower
Stats: 123/122/121
BF:
Progress:

i have a source for pure sucralose but they're going to stop after first week of nov. ... the last time i bought from them was several months ago but it lasts a really long time because its sooo potent!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-04, 13:20

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

I buy zero carb syrup base from locarber.com. One 8 ounce bottle has the sweetness of 32 cups of sugar. It is concentrated enough so you don't have any excess liquid in recipes. I have used it for about 4 months now and love it.

Ann