Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 23:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 352/330/150
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default A newbie's successful start!

I thought this would be a great way to get support, especially during my induction. Although I've been a committed Internet "surfer" for a few years now, forums & newsgroup posting is something I've never done so bear with me please! :-)

To give a brief background of my weight battle throughout my life, I didn't start putting on the pounds until I was about four years old (when I had my first taste of a candy bar). Every time my dad would go grocery shopping, I'd ask him to bring me one. Unfortunately this was a big mistake, but I realize it's hard for a parent to tell their child "no."

I continued gaining until my senior year of high school, when I peaked at 284. My grandfather died and I went through a severe bout of depression that sparked an astounding weight loss. In roughly nine months I lost 110 lbs. After the first twenty pounds I realized I was happier and felt better, so I continued to lose. However, I was practically starving myself and so I gained it all back plus almost 100 lbs more!

Which brings me to last September when I started watching my fat intake; eating healthy foods during the week and cheating on the weekends. I lost 26 lbs in about 7 months, which is much slower than what I've been used to in the past. Last week I was searching for other methods of "dieting" and found a copy of Dr. Atkins' first edition of the New Diet Revolution. After I began reading it, I couldn't put it down. It sat on my mother's bookshelf for almost 30 years and she never even read it!

I've been following closely to his initial recommendations, although I realize that over time the book plan has experienced some modifications and editions. I've spoke with other Atkins followers and have done some Internet research and though some things have changed, the underlying idea is the same--avoid high carb foods!

My mother and I decided to make this life-change together. She is struggling a bit more than I am, and has even made a few comments about quitting. I've tried to encourage her by feeding her more and more positives, and I think she's inspired by my enthusiasm. Today ends my first week of induction, and so far I've lost 11 lbs. Until now I never realized how much of a carb lover I was. And since doing a little research I've discovered that there are a lot more low-carb alternatives to high carb foods. Even if they're a little more expensive, I'm convinced I'll come out ahead in the end.

I haven't been keeping close track to the inches lost as far as measuring my waist, hips, etc., but I can tell by the extra room in the clothes I wear. If I continue losing at just a fraction of the way I've lost this week, I'll need a new wardrobe in a couple of months! I tried on a pair of slacks today that I bough three months ago and I couldn't even get them up past my buttocks! Now they fit--a little snug, but they fit.

I hope this will encourage other newbies to not give in/give up. I've been relativly lucky, as I haven't had any side effects. I've heard some say they have problems with constipation (my experience has been almost the opposite), sluggishness (I've been sleeping almost an hour less each night and feeling great). More great news is that my cravings have subsided. I went out to dinner with friends over the weekend and watched them eat delicious buttered yeast rolls, and creamy potato soup, while I chowed down on my three-cheese bacon burger with mayo. I don't feel cheated, and can enjoy most of the foods I love! Tonight I had Pizza Hut's mild buffalo wings with blue cheese dip, and a nice side salad virtually guilt free. So needless to say I'm having fun eating AND watching the pounds melt away.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 05:12
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default hello

Welcome!!!!!! And Congratulations on some awesome weight loss so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are doing really great and sound very motivated!!! MAybe you should get your mom involved on this forumn...It can be extremely encouraging and supportive in a way I never thought possible.

This forumn is great for advice and questions and just daily supprt...I'm glad you've found us and I knbow you are going to do great!!! Isn't wonderful having a way of eating where we eat so good, such yummy foods and still lose weight!!!

Well take care and feel free to stop by my journal anytime I love seeing new faces in there
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 16:24
Registered Member

Stats: 260/222.5/150 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:46/41/25
Progress: 34%
Default good start

you go girl...I have only been LCing for 3 weeks and lost 12.5# I have not had any craving and I love pasta. the forums are wonderful and you can get some great recipes. The diversity is great. the other think that I have found to be helpful is a journal. The support here is great. Keep up the good work.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 23:58

Stats: 352/330/150
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Thanks for the support!

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement! That means a lot, especially since I'm just starting out. I'm halfway through my second week and things are still going well. My only bad news is that my electric scales went out so I haven't been able to weigh since Monday. The good news is that since I bought them less than a year ago, they're covered under the manufacturer's warranty and in the process of being fixed. I've been so excited that I've wanted to check my weight each day, but know that it's probably not a good idea since it naturally fluctuates--but I'm hoping that I see a pretty nice loss once I have the scales back. Even if I don't see a drastic difference, I can tell that I'm losing inches. . . has anyone else actually felt as though they're literally "shrinking"? Today I was wearing the smallest pair of comfortable work slacks I have and I had to stop every few paces to pull them up. *lol*

I've been exercising more lately as well and I think it's been helping. I have a major sit-down-at-your-desk-all-day kind of job which has contributed to me getting really out of shape over the last four years. I bought a tredmil and promised myself I'd get some use out of it. Each night I've been increasing my speed by .1 MPH and walking at least 15 minutes. I know that probably doesn't sound like much of a workout, but I feel as though a little something is better than nothing. :-)

Thanks for the suggestions on getting my mom involved. I think she would enjoy checking out some of the recipes too as we've been working on our own concoctions lately to make dinner a little more exciting. The other night we had crockpot chicken cooked in heavy cream, Worcestershire sauce, a couple cloves of garlic topped with melted Swiss cheese! Believe it or not, it was delicious!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 06:01
Registered Member

Stats: 260/222.5/150 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:46/41/25
Progress: 34%
Thumbs up keep going

good for you. One thing that I got caught up in is the scale. I lost 12 # really fast then hit that proverbial wall. I start to get very frustrated. I decided, at the suggestion of another LCer to only weight once a month. I did check my measurements this AM and have lost a total of 9 1/2 inches
Please share the an good recipes that you make. Always looking for new things. Has anyone one told you about PORK RINDS. They are a great snack and make a great coating for meats. I am going to try it in a meatlaof this weekend. There are several suggestions for PORK RIND somewhere in this forum.
Keep up the good work.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 16:47
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Welcome. I also started low carbing when I weighed over 350 pounds (last July) and this way of eating has been great for me. I was never able to stick to a diet in the past. With Atkins, it isn't a problem because I never have to walk around hungry. When I am hungry, I eat. I always thought I had no willpower, but it just turns out that I was eating the wrong foods.

If you look on the homepage of this forum under Lowcarb Support Focus Groups, there is something called the Triple Digits Club. It is a special area of the forum for people with over 100 pounds to lose and it is a very supportive place.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 19:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/165/140
BF:
Progress: 0%

HI All: I am new to LC and posting on the net. I hope to learn a lot from all of you. I have been reading your post for the last few days and it has helped a lot. I am having great trouble stay away from carbs. Today I just ate a ton of stir fried broccoli and cauliflour and feel so much guilt. I have been trying for about a week to do LC but have not lost too much. 1 lb. Help
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 02:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/165/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default still at it for more than a month

HI All: Thanks for the great support. I am still struggling with low carb but will keep on a modified low carb. I am losing wt very slowly. The craving for sugar are almost gone I love eating lc way.