Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 16:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/139/120
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Need help from someone who has experience w/ketone sticks

I have a few questions about the ketone sticks, and hope someone can help.

While LCing.....

Can the amount of ketosis be altered if you are drinking a lot of water (or, conversely, not drinking enough water)? I mean, if you drank alot of water would it "dilute" the urine, so the color goes from a darker pink to a paler pink or even beige?

Also, I know we're all different, but on average, do most people's level of ketosis as measured on the ketone sticks fluctuate widely during the course of the day?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 16:37
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

The answers to both your questions it yes. The more or less water you drink will show up on the stips, along with an exercising factor, and how long it has been since you last ate.

Basically they are really only good for telling you if you have ketones in your urine. Even then they might not read right. You could be in ketosis and get a negative reading on the strips. Wether dark or light, doesn't matter, you are either in ketosis or not.

It is best to test yourself at the same time each time you test. Some people test in the morning, and some at night. But you will fluctuate through out the day.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 17:28

Stats: 153/139/120
BF:
Progress: 42%

Thanks for your response. At mid-day mine was dark pink. At that point I hadn't drunk much water for the day. But then, an hour later, I had had a a bunch of water and thought I'd test again just to see. It was totally beige. So, I'm wondering why they even bother having a cascading color ( from pink to purple). I'd think the stick would be more useful if it just tested with a "positve" marking or "negative" marking. Makes more sense to me!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 19:40

Stats: 245/242/190
BF:
Progress: 5%

Where does one buy these ketosis test strips? I have looked around and been unable to find them.

Thanks.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 19:59

Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%

Vinegaroon,

Ask your pharmacist; generally they are behind the pharmacy counter. I pay $6.50 in Edmonton at Costco for 50.