Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 12:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 277/220/165 Female 5'8"
BF:41/?/?
Progress: 51%
Question How much potassium???

I have been having awful leg cramps since starting this WOE, and of course from fit day and reading up I realize that I need potassium. I bought a supplement just now and each pill has 99mg of the stuff that says it's only 3% of my daily value. How much do I take????

Farmgirl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 13:23
Zora

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I experienced leg cramps as well during the beginning of induction. I took and still do take 1 potassium a day (99 mg).

I found the following link to be very helpful regarding supplements:
http://www7.addr.com/~atkinsdiet/su...s.html#vitamins
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 13:55

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

It all depends on what your particular diet/body is deficient. I used to take 4 a day, now I only take 1, and I am fine.

Be warned though, if you have high blood pressure, check with your doctor first - extra potassium could interfere with your medication.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 15:39
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Try following the recommended dosage on the bottle which is probably one a day, and if your cramps are still bad, up it to 2.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 19:57

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

I take one of those 99mg tabs of potassium, and 1 of a Calcius/magn supplement. Have been leg cramp free since .
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 20:01
Registered Member

Stats: 265/224.1/205 Male 70 inches
BF:39%/27.1%/20%
Progress: 68%

Here is what Diet Power says about potassium:

Like sodium, potassium helps to regulate the body's water balance, transmit nerve impulses, and trigger muscle contractions. Unlike sodium, however, it is not implicated in hypertension¾in fact, it appears to reduce blood pressure.

Potassium is not overabundant in our diet. The average American consumes about 2500 milligrams per day - just a little above the estimated daily minimum of 2000 milligrams. The Food and Nutrition Board (FNB) suggests that 3500 milligrams would be more healthful. To reach that level, eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetable - especially bananas, potatoes, and oranges. Other good sources are milk products, peanut butter, and nuts.

Potassium, like sodium, can be toxic if taken in large amounts. Symptoms include irregular heartbeat and muscle paralysis.

OK, that being said....

Potassium suppliments are limited by law to 99 mg unless you have a prescription for higher doses. As I found out, if you are in a sport/exercise program where you will be sweating a lot, you need to replace basic electrolytes. I found that with all the water I was drinking that I was starting to have night cramps. Here is what has worked for me.

1. I take in about 1/2 tsp a day of Morton's Salt Substitute. That provides about 1200 mg of potassium. Use good judgement. If you use a program like Diet Power to monitor your food intake, this should be a rather simple thing to experiment with to achieve the perviously stated guidlines. It is CHEAP too.

2. I make sure I get sufficient magnesium & calcium. About 600 & 2500 mg per day respectively. In fact, it wasn't until I made sure I was getting the calcium that my cramps finally stopped.

3. Sodium has never been a problem.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 20:10

Stats: 149/120/122 Female 5 feet 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 107%

I take 3 potassium capsules a day and use Morton's light salt. I still get some cramps in my feet once in awhile, but I haven't decided to take more potassium.

I also take calcium and magnesium tablets every day. I take 1500 mgs of calcium and 750 mg magnesium.

Cue-bald-one, you're taking 2500 mgs of calcium? I'd check that out if I were you, I've had several doctors tell me you can take too much calcium and that could lead to other problems.

Magic
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 20:13

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I'm on water pills so I have to take Potassium, I'm taking 3 x 600 mg a day, can't fo with out it.
But I beleive everyone should have a blood test and follow what a doctor says, mine was 3.1 which is low, so he put me on this high dose and I'll go back and be tested again later.

Kathy
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 20:19
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

The Doctors Eades (authors of Protein Power) suggest supplementing with 400mg potassium when commencing a low carb eating plan.

Do take potassium tablets with food, as they can upset your stomach. And as Talon says, check with your doctor or pharmacist if taking fluid or BP tabs (some of those are potassium sparing, so it could be dangerous to take added potassium).

Also do make sure you are drinking plenty of water.

I must mention however, that magnesium prevents cramps. It is best absorbed when taken with calcium in a 2cal:1mag combination. We need 1000:500mg daily - in divided doses.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 20:32
Registered Member

Stats: 265/224.1/205 Male 70 inches
BF:39%/27.1%/20%
Progress: 68%

Magicslr,

Thanks for your concern.

Again, Diet Power says: (LOL)

DietPower sets your Personal Daily Allowance (PDA) of calcium at the Food and Nutrition Board's Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA), measured in milligrams: 1300 for people aged 14* to 18, 1000 for people 19 to 50, and 1200 for those 51 and older. For women 50 and younger, the same figures apply during pregnancy and lactation. (In the rare event that you're over 50 and pregnant or lactating, DietPower will assign you the 50-and-younger PDAs.)

You can revise your PDA if your doctor recommends a different allowance. See Personal Daily Allowances, Editing Your.

*But remember that DietPower is not designed for people under 15.

Upper Limit

The Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) of calcium is 2500 milligrams per day for teenagers and adults. Getting more than the UL may harm your health.

SOOOO...

I work to take the UL of 2500 but no more. I do back off to around 2000 mg during the late fall and through winter when I put the bike away for the season.

Last edited by CUE-BALD-1 : Fri, May-16-03 at 20:33.