Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 16:40

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 356/324/225
BF:
Progress: 24%
Question Help...a question about TEA and INDUCTION

I have been doing Atkins for quite some time, but my wife is a recent convert. She is in her second week of Induction. Here's the problem:

She has had the "runs" for almost 2 weeks. She takes psyllium daily, but the problem persists. I remember that the curse of my induction was constipation with (excuse the frankness) bowel movements that were dark in color. It is a mystery to me that, despite doing strict lo-carb, she has very light color movements. I'm wondering if there are too many carbs.

She regularly drinks herb teas (yerba mate, almond, peach). Has anyone had experience with teas on Atkins, and were they a problem?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 17:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I love my Yerba Mate. Great stuff - one or two bags can be reused all day long, from hot tea in the morning to iced tea in the afternoon. The Brazilian kind (Nativa, green box) is peppery and the stuff from Paraguay (Guayaki, yellow bag) has a lighter, grassier taste.

I drank it through Induction and OWL (three months now) with no problems; however, it has over 100 active phytochemicals and some people might be sensitive to it.

Some people are sensitive to psyllium as well.

Last edited by gotbeer : Thu, May-15-03 at 17:03.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 17:28
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Wolf,

It just seems to happen that some folk get constipated when they start to low carb, while others "go" in the other direction. [Diarrhoea will always be lighter in colour than a formed stool]

How much psyllium is she taking? 1 tablespoon is the dose recommended by Dr Atkins.

I doubt the teas are affecting her. The only way to be sure is to stop drinking them for a bit and see what happens. Ordinary leaf tea can be constipating BTW.

All the best to the both of you!

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 19:42

Stats: 236.5/223/120
BF:
Progress: 12%

Psyllium is used for constipation and colon cleansing.
I would suggest your wife stop taking for a few days and see if that clears up the problem.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 19:57
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Roberta, psyllium is also used for diarrhoea. It adds bulk, as well as softening. In fact, many folk here (me included!) have found relief from diarrhoea by using psyllium.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 01:12

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

There could be something wrong with her intestinal flora/fauna. When I have this problem I drink live kefir (fermented milk.) if you can't get this, live (plain) yoghut or a similar 'bio active' dairy product might help.
Robert
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 04:34

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Default CHEESE

Cheese has been known to constipate people, maybe it'll help your wife "slow down" some...

Also, is she consuming any sugar free candies? Or using an artificial sweetner in her tea? Aspartame will do that to me. Splenda doesn't seem to have that effect. And too many sugar alcohols, such as they use in sugar free candies.

Good luck...
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 07:11

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

It took me about three weeks to stop having "the back door trots". I had to hit the Immodium a couple of times. Is she using diet soft drinks? That seemed to be a bit of the problem for me.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 10:52
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Extended info about Psyllium:

(see esp the "Side Effects" below - even though Psyllium is used to treat diarrhea, it sometimes causes it as well)

link

Psyllium (Plantago ovata)

Be aware that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not strictly regulate herbs and dietary supplements. There is no guarantee of strength, purity or safety of products containing or claiming to contain psyllium. Decisions to use herbs or supplements should be carefully considered. Individuals using prescription drugs should discuss taking herbs or supplements with their pharmacist or health care provider before starting.

Evidence
Unproven Uses
Potential Dangers
Interactions
Dosing
Summary
Resources

Evidence

Scientists have studied psyllium for the following health problems:

High cholesterol
Multiple scientific studies report that psyllium taken by mouth may lower total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels by a small amount (less than 10 percent) when taken for two to four months. A wide range of doses have been tested.

Constipation
Psyllium is a common ingredient in bulk laxative products, and several studies suggest that psyllium may provide benefits for treating constipation. There is a scientific basis for psyllium working as a mild laxative. This evidence, combined with the available research in humans, suggests that psyllium decreases the time necessary to pass bowel movements, increases the number of bowel movements per day and increases the amount of stool passed.

Diarrhea
Several studies suggest that psyllium may provide benefits for people with diarrhea, especially for patients being tube-fed. There is a scientific basis for psyllium working to increase the bulk of stools. This evidence, combined with the available research in humans, suggests that psyllium increases the number of normal stools and decreases the number of liquid stools.

High blood sugar
Psyllium has been proposed as a possible treatment for high blood sugar levels (hyperglycemia). Studies in humans suggest moderate reductions in blood sugar levels after a single dose of psyllium, with unclear long-term effects. More research is needed in this area before a strong conclusion can be reached.
Inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis)
A small number of studies have examined the ability of psyllium to maintain remission in ulcerative colitis. However, studies have been small, with flaws in their designs, and results of different studies have disagreed with each other. It is unclear whether there is any benefit from psyllium in treating ulcerative colitis.

Irritable bowel syndrome
Multiple studies have examined the use of psyllium for irritable bowel syndrome. This research has not provided clear answers. Although other studies suggest that psyllium may be beneficial in the treatment of diarrhea or constipation in general, it is not known if psyllium is an effective therapy for irritable bowel syndrome.

Unproven Uses

Psyllium has been suggested for many other uses, based on tradition or on scientific theories. However, these uses have not been thoroughly studied in humans, and there is limited scientific evidence about safety or effectiveness. Some of these suggested uses are for conditions that are potentially very serious and even life-threatening. You should consult with a health care provider before taking psyllium for any unproven use.

Abscesses
Anal fissures
Boils
Bronchitis
Cancer
Clogged arteries
Cystitis (bladder inflammation)
Gallbladder disease
Gallstones Heavy menstrual bleeding
Hemorrhoids
High blood pressure
Inflammation of the urethra
Leishmaniasis
Mucus membrane irritation
Obesity
Psoriasis
Stomach ulcers

Potential Dangers

Allergies

People should avoid psyllium if they have a known allergy to psyllium, ispaghula or English plantain (Plantago lanceolata). Signs of allergy include rash, itching and shortness of breath. There are reports of allergic reactions to psyllium taken by mouth, including anaphylactic reactions (severe allergic reactions), especially in health care workers who are often exposed to psyllium.

Side Effects
Psyllium has generally been well tolerated in studies. Some people may experience stomach discomfort, gas, bloating, diarrhea or constipation. Blockage of the gastrointestinal tract may occur, particularly if psyllium is used without enough water or is used by people with prior bowel surgery, motility disorders or bowel tumors. Other side effects such as rash, cold symptoms or difficulty breathing may be caused by psyllium allergies. A rare side effect may involve an increase in the number of some kinds of blood cells, a reaction usually associated with allergies.

Psyllium has been studied for up to six months, and safety beyond this amount of time is not known.

Pregnancy And Breast-Feeding

Psyllium is believed to be safe during pregnancy and lactation. However, there have not been high-quality studies in humans or animals, and caution may be warranted. Psyllium may lower blood sugar levels, which is an undesirable effect during pregnancy.

Interactions

Interactions with drugs, supplements and other herbs have not been thoroughly studied. The interactions listed below have been reported in scientific publications. If you are taking prescription drugs, speak with your health care provider or pharmacist before using herbs or dietary supplements.

Interactions With Drugs

In general, prescription drugs should be taken one hour before or two hours after psyllium, because the absorption and effectiveness of many drugs may be reduced. Some examples include diuretics, salicylates, tetracyclines, nitrofurantoin, insulin, lithium (Lithobid, Eskalith), warfarin (Coumadin) and digoxin (Lanoxin). If you take other drugs, you should speak with your health care provider before taking psyllium. Dosing adjustments may be necessary.

Psyllium may lower blood sugar levels. Caution is advised if you are also taking prescription drugs that may lower blood sugar levels. Patients taking oral drugs for diabetes or using insulin should be monitored closely by their health care provider while using psyllium. Dosing adjustments may be necessary. Psyllium should be used cautiously with other laxatives, because its effects may be increased.

Interactions With Herbs And Dietary Supplements

In general, supplements should be taken one hour before or two hours after psyllium, because the absorption and effectiveness of supplements may be reduced. Examples include calcium, iron, zinc and vitamin B12. Psyllium should be used cautiously with other laxatives, such as senna, because effects may be increased. As a result of increased laxative effects, the effectiveness of other agents taken by mouth may be reduced. In theory, psyllium may lower blood sugar levels. People using other herbs or supplements that may alter blood sugar levels, such as bitter melon (Momordica charantia), should be monitored closely by their health care provider while using psyllium. Dosing adjustments may be necessary.

Dosing

The doses listed below are based on scientific research, publications or traditional use. Because most herbs and supplements have not been thoroughly studied or monitored, safety and effectiveness may not be proven. Brands may be made differently, with variable ingredients even within the same brand. Combination products often contain small amounts of each ingredient and may not be effective. Appropriate dosing should be discussed with a health care provider before starting therapy; always read the recommendations on a product's label. The dosing for unproven uses should be approached cautiously, because scientific information is limited in these areas.

The recommendation for dietary fiber in adults is 20 to 35 grams daily taken by mouth.

Adults (Aged 18 Or Older)

Many different doses have been used traditionally. For lowering cholesterol levels, the most studied doses have been 10 to 20 grams per day, split into two or three doses, taken by mouth. Studied doses for treating constipation or diarrhea fall between seven and 30 grams per day, taken all at once or split into several doses. For lowering blood sugar levels, studied doses range between 10 and 20 grams by mouth daily, taken as one dose or split into several doses taken just before eating. Doses for ulcerative colitis or irritable bowel syndrome are not well studied and should be discussed with a health care provider.

Psyllium has been studied for up to six months, and safety beyond this amount of time is not known.

Children (Younger Than 18)

For cholesterol lowering, studies have used six to seven grams of psyllium in an enriched cereal, eaten each day. For diarrhea, 3.4 grams of psyllium taken by mouth each day has been studied, with unclear effectiveness.

Doses for ulcerative colitis are not well studied and should be discussed with a health care provider.

Summary

Psyllium has been suggested as a treatment for many conditions. There is scientific research to support the use of psyllium as a cholesterol-lowering agent, as a mild laxative and as a treatment for diarrhea. There is not enough evidence to support the use of psyllium for any other medical condition. Studies have used psyllium for up to six months, and safety beyond that amount of time is not known. Psyllium may decrease the absorption and effectiveness of many prescription drugs, vitamins or supplements, requiring dosing adjustments.

Psyllium is believed to be safe in pregnant or breast-feeding women, although blood sugar levels may be lowered, which is potentially dangerous. Psyllium has been studied as a part of cereals given to children and appears to be safe for short periods of time. Cases of allergy and anaphylaxis (a severe type of allergy) have been reported. Psyllium may lower blood sugar levels and should be used cautiously by people using other drugs that affect glucose levels. Bowel blockage may occur if psyllium is taken without enough water or if psyllium is used by people with bowel motility problems, past bowel surgery or bowel tumors. Consult your health care provider immediately if you have any side effects.

The information in this monograph was prepared by the professional staff at Natural Standard, based on thorough systematic review of scientific evidence. The material was reviewed by the Faculty of the Harvard Medical School with final editing approved by Natural Standard.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 11:04

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Red face

Actually, I have had both the constipation and the diarehha and drank herbal tea before, during, and after. I found that bulk fiber capsules (the generic of FiberCon) did the trick for me-like the psyllium, they are good for either condition.