Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 19:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/187/170
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default hayfever question

I have been eating low carbs for about two months, coinciding with my usual sever hayfever season, only this time, my hayfever symtoms are greatly reduced. Has anyone else expierienced this? What's going on?
The reduction in symtoms is amazing.
Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 20:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I have nnoticed that my allergies are much less too. I wored out in the yard today and got my normal reaction to that much pollen and sappy stuff on my skin. REACTION - I was one big red itchy bump. Took some benadryl and put some cream on my arms - and within a few hours I was feeling civilized again.

I really need to find a cheaper allergy medication other than claritin over the counter!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 01:14

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yeah, that claritin can be quite pricey. I found (for my son) a store brand that's the equivelent but literally 3 X CHEAPER than the Claritin. Try to find a store brand with the same active ingredient. Or, ask a pharmacist about it.

I've noticed the exact same thing with my allergies. I would usually be one big blob of sneezing, wheezing, mucousy, watery eyed person, but not one single symptom of allergies!! I am truly amazed...I'm not going to question it, just appreciate it!

N.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 06:57

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 172/166/150
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Is this a trend?

My husband usually has HORRIBLE allergies this time of year, and has to stay on a prescription of heavy duty allergy meds. We just noticed that he hasn't started them yet this year and the pollen counts are sky high here!

He also has sleep apnea, which results in very loud snoring. I have noticed that he has barely been snoring at all. That may be due to the weight loss, but either way, LC WOE is working for him!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 19:03
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 208/205.4/135
BF:BMI 35%/35%/22%
Progress: 4%

Schwarzbein mentions how high carb intake causes insulin levels to rise and this causes excess eicosanoid hormone production.

Eicosanoids relax or contract smooth muscle groups (ie: bronchial muscles). Eicosanoids also are involved in the immune system.

She specifically mentions how asthma can be traced to high carb intake (due to excess production of eicosanoids)...

Maybe our allergies are kinda the same(?) We are seeing an improvement because the eicosanoid hormones are getting back into proper levels.