Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 12:06
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%
Default What Inspires You to Continue?

Just curious what inspires you.....aside from knowing the benfits of being at a healthy weight, every day is a challenge & there are certain things that keep us going.

For example....when I'm snuggling up to my hubby and he says to me..."wow, you feel so skinny" or as I had mentioned in a previous post when my 12 year old niece hugged me and said "I love you and I'm so happy I can give you a full hug now" meaning she could get her arms all the way around my waist now!

Sometimes it's the little things that inspire us to continue on our journey. Whether it be being able to slip into a smaller size or being able to walk around the block without being winded.

The psychological part of losing weight is almost more difficult for me that the physical part so every little kind word or good feeling I get when I accomplish a goal makes me want to succeed.

So my question to you all is what little things (really they are big things!) keep you going when you all feel like giving up?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 15:21
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally posted by josiekat
So my question to you all is what little things (really they are big things!) keep you going when you all feel like giving up?

I've been doing this for 10 months and I have never considered giving up. I have never even gone off plan for the day. I have occasionally eaten more than I planned to eat, and I haved ocasionally allowed myself a special high-carb treat (a small piece of cake on my birthday, a piece of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving), but these treats have been limited and part of what makes this a way of eating and not a diet.

Realizing that it was carbs that made me get so fat has made me treat this like any other medical condition. I have a bad reaction to carbs, therefore I know I can't eat them, just like someone who breaks out in hives from shellfish knows that he cannot eat that. I almost view it as an allergy to carbs and I have no inclination to get near something I am allergic to.

Of course, I am motivated by my improved health and feelings of well-being, but I view that as all part of over-coming my medical condition.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 15:51
Recovering Yo-Yo

Couldn't ask for better motivation than that!

I never thought about looking at it as an allergy to carbs....it makes sense though.

Thanks so much for your input & insight!

Keep smiling
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 17:52
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

This isn't to say that I might not have a problem with temptation in the future -- just that in the past 10 months I have not.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 20:45
Recovering Yo-Yo

Default Keep on Doing what your doing

That's so great. When I first started Atkins, not one thing passed by my lips that wasn't supposed to...that lasted for about 8 to 9 months. I had a bunch of stuff going on in my life and lost my focus...that's why I'm back at induction & the OWL. My problem has always been that I am an emotional eater. I suppose that is part of the reason it feels so good when I hear a compliment from my niece or whatnot....it keeps me focused and keeps me from running to the refridgerator!

Keep up the great work....you have done awesome & should be very proud!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 21:54

Plan: Atkins started 1/2/03
Stats: 302/260/185
BF:47/38/23
Progress: 36%
Default Motivation...

Lots of them!

DH is doing LF and beating me, so I have to prove to him that LC is as effective for losing weight, if not MORE effective.

But my biggest motivation beyond the cute clothes, looking good, etc. is to be rid of this food addiction! I hate it and this is the first thing I have ever done that has helped me fight it. I won't say it is gone, but it is manageable now. I am hoping that continuing with this WOE will allow me to be free of it (at least most of the time) in the future.

Great thread!

AMY
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-10-03, 22:18
Recovering Yo-Yo

Those are excellent motivators Amy!

I know exactly what you speak of when you talk about addiction. My motto has become one day at a time....we can't control anything beyond what we are doing at one particular moment.

The clothing definately inspires me too. When I first lost weight on Atkins, it was so nice to be able to shop in a regular store....I look so forward to doing it again!

Continued success!

Jo

PS. I love your quote at the bottom of your message!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 07:59

Stats: 278/204/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default My son's wedding and...

My son is getting married on Oct 2 2004. THAT is a great motivator for me long term. But...short term...getting into smaller clothes...20 pound goals...feeling better...I stopped taking blood pressure medication 4 days ago and my blood pressure is lower (120/78) than it was the many years I took the bp med...not swolen all the time...gaining strength in my muscles...could go on and on. The benefits just keep adding up
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 08:07
Recovering Yo-Yo

Way to go Kathryn!

I love the answers that I am hearing from everyone. I know for me that being at a healthy weight should be enough, and I suppose in the big picture, it really is, but there are so many other things that go along with that.

Self-esteem is huge! What better way to pump it up a little than by shopping for a smaller size....or setting a goal & achieving it. I find it very inspirational & it makes me want to reach my ultimate goal.....my goal weight.

I am so happy to hear that you are off your BP Meds...way to go! Both you and your doctor must be thrilled!

I agree with you....my list here could be long & many....and it's the little things that make each day that much easier.

Have a great day!

Jo
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 13:48

Plan: ?
Stats: 1/1/1 Male 1
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Family

Hi,

my number one inspiration must be my young kids, I want to be able to do things with them, and be around for them, I lost my father to heart disease when I was 12, and I don't want that to happen in their lives. I also believe I can be a better father and husband if I am happy and in control of myself.

Graeme.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 16:27

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I keep inspired and motivated by how I feel, look and the looks from my husband, family and friends. I can feel good about myself and I knew I look good now. I am a long way from where I want to be but that does not matter. I am looking and feeling good along the weigh!!!

I am able to shop and get smaller clothes. Every month it is something littler. It has been years since I am wearing what I am wearing now. My dh gave me 250 dollars to go and buy new clothes as my old ones were to big. He is always telling me, put that in the big pile to get rid of .

My joints feel better too and that is a great motivator as the artritis is not quite as bad when all that extra weight is there.

I also get to eat darn good and still lose weight, that is a great motivator as well.

Have a great day,

WIndy
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 17:25

Stats: 437/???/200
BF:69%
Progress: 0%
Talking Hi All!!!

It's great to come here and read all the things that inspire you all. When I started low-carbing a few years ago.....and everyone I knew rolled there eyes , after seeing what I was eating....saw that I lost about 70lbs and was feeling great.....they couldn't believe it!!!!!!!! I am once again trying to get back into the swing of things.....I have been on Atkins for 4 days and feel no hunger today....yeh......some of my swelling of my legs is going down too. That inspires me to keep going....and also the fact that I want to be able to walk without huffing again....soon!!!! Celina
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 17:59

Stats: 310/288.5/135 Female 5'6 and a half
BF:too ***#* much
Progress: 12%

Hmmm. being an emotional eater. I think its the nice things people say when they notice or going down a size. I'll be honest though, if nobody notices or I don't see the change despite what the scale or tapemeasure say. I get discouraged. And thats when I start wondering why I can't have s&S boneless pork. And its only solid cussedness that gets me through that!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 18:59

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

The things that inspire me to continue are much the same as many listed here. Including, being able to buy regular size clothes, being able to wear sexy shoes with a dress, being able to go out at night again to play pool and not feel self-conscious and uncomfortable. Not being treated the way overweight people are treated (it's amazing but the more space you take up, the more "invisible" you seem to become).

That lift in my self-esteem is something I am so looking forward to. I want my confidence back! I want to live a long time, and be healthy doing it. I want to be more active again. I want to DANCE again.

All good reasons for losing weight, and as for LCing - I feel 110% better following this WOE than I was before. I used to feel exhausted and fatigued ALL THE TIME. Now I feel so much better - the thought of feeling that way again is enough to keep me from "cheating" or straying from the Atkins WOL.

Finally, I've been around the internet a good bit, and seen lots of forums, but the LCers who post here are smarter, more eloquent, kinder and more supportive than I've found anywhere...who wouldn't want to stick around just for that?
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 21:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 284/256/140
BF:too much
Progress: 19%
Talking Great Thought

I would have to say for my health, my husband and our life.
We are so young in our lives and have MANY things to do and I want to make sure that I am around and able to do all and experence it all with him. I really love the fact that my husband will say"I am so proud of you and the choice you have made to lose all the weight" or make comments like"you look soo good in that, its sooo lose on you, or gosh you can tell that you are loseing alot. " and all those comments are out of the blue.
Gosh they just make me feel soo goood .

You know what I realized, before I begain LCn I really was selfish, I say that only because I wasn't thinking that what was happening to my health was affecting my Husband or that maybe he feared losing me earlier in our lives.
It wasn't until I started LCn when he came to me and told me that he had feared loseing me, it brought tears to my eyes to know that I had been so dam selfish not even to think of my Best Friends/ True Loves feelings.

MY insperation..................OUR lives together.......Growing old TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephanie