Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 09:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/218.5/150
BF:
Progress: 16%
Question How fast is too fast???

I know this thread may make some people envious because it does for me too.

But my question is how fast is too fast for a man in his late twenties who has close to 70 - 80 lbs to lose, to lose weight?

We have only been on Atkins since April 21 and we usually have just our official weigh-in every Monday morning. Otherwise the scale is put away out of sight so as not to tempt us. But for my Mother's day present I asked for a new scale that would could give half-pound readings ( Those halfs count too )

We got the scale last night and decide to compare the two and see if my old scale had been accurate. They both said the same thing, that my DH had lost 21 lbs. in 19 days. I know losing that amount weight in less then three weeks would be a lot of peoples dream but DH and I agreed that it would be better to slow his weight loss down so he could learn to keep it off.

So what would be a good amount to lose a week?

I know Atkins says 1 - 2 lbs a week but I don't know if we could slow his weight lost down that much even with upping his carbs. He eats around 20 carbs a day and around 2000 calories. This WOE was dramatically cut his appetite so much that getting in 2000 calories is hard for him. He is going to try to up his carbs to 30 g a day for the rest of this week and see if this helps.

For all those envious of DH's results on this WOL, don't worry you are not the only one. When I weighed in last night it showed I had only lost 7 lbs. in 19 days. While that is still good, I sure wish I had DH's problem of losing to fast.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 09:50
Zora

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

From what I've seen, men tend to lose faster than women anyway. I wouldn't be concerned. 21 pounds in 19 days is great!! Figure the first 8 pounds were probably water weight. I've lost 12 pounds in 21 days on induction, so I'm definately envious!! Congrats to you both for your losses!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 09:54

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I had the same question in the first week of induction. I had lost 9lbs in 5 days. I haven't weighed in for this week yet, but I expect that it will be signifigantly less than last week.

~Angi~
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 10:31

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Exclamation how fast

It does seem to be a mixed blessing, but you must give it time. He could always go on to OWL phase, which will slow things a bit. You have to be sure to consume enough calories and fat in order to keep burning fat, so if he doesn't eat enough, his body will think it's starving and start hanging on to every ounce, creating that nasty condition called STALL...

Keep up the good work, guys, sounds like you're doing great!

#5   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 10:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins, my own LC- WOE
Stats: 248/215/185 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I think it depends on his size, If he is 300lbs then I say that's not enough..if he's 200lbs I think it's too fast. I would like to know his secret? Is he working out lots?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 10:52

Stats: 254/221.5/175
BF:
Progress: 41%

It seems that my DW is quicker on the draw than i am. But i'm glad to know that there is no cause for concern. 21 pounds in 19 days is a little scary for me considering that i've tried just about everything under the sun to lose in the past.

Thak you for your insight.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 11:20

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I didn't lose that much the first two weeks, although I did lose around 12-15 lbs. I think...somewhere in that range, and it scared me too. I think we go into it thinking that we will lose, but sometimes we aren't prepared for it to work as well as it does. After all....if we had known it would work like this, we would have done it years ago, right??? LOL...congratulations to both of you

L
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 11:28
Registered Member

Stats: 215/205/135
BF:
Progress: 13%
Smile

Looks like we both have the same thing going on here....except it is now just mine and my husbands 11th day of induction I have lost 10lbs but my DH has lost 19lbs...but I do know that, me and my DH went on a low fat diet about 5 years ago and he lost weight really fast then, he lost 30lbs in one month, due mostly to all the walking we did. My DH doesn't do any exercises but he is very active at work. I really account most of this weight to probally water weight. But you can already tell he has lost weight, wish I was that lucky!! We are measuring later today for inches!!

Seems that men in general lose weight faster than us women.

~Shoshana

#9   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 12:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/165/165 Male 72
BF:some
Progress: 100%
Default lossage

I lost 25 pounds in my first three weeks....your first 2 to 4 weeks is when you lose the most weight the quickest...but after that it slows down signifigantly. I've been losing about 2 pounds a week now just like the book says and haven't change a thing. I'm also staying on the induction phase. so in my opinion keep doing exactly what your doin and your weight loss will probably slow down on its own
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 13:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/133/125
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default it'll probably slow down automatically

After the end of my two weeks on induction, I was down five pounds, which was a huge chunk of the 20 I was trying to lose. I got pretty delusional that it would keep on coming off that way: like my biggest problem was deciding whether I should keep on going past my goal size 6 to a size 4 Very overconfident. Well, it has now been 3 months since then and I am only down another 5. It comes off way faster at the beginning... I bet he will hit something more like a plateau soon (or at least a less steep hill ) In the meantime I go with uping the carbs just a touch...