Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 00:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%
Angry Need to vent

ARRGHH I am soooo sick of people telling me how unhealthy this "diet" is and how I can't eat like this forever and that the weight loss will only be temporary. Everytime I try to explain to people this is a WOE they seem to think they know it all and that the low-fat way is best. Am I the only one who experiences this? It is getting really annoying. They awknowledge the weight loss but they knock the method!!!

ok feel better now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 00:57
Registered Member

Stats: 241/179/182 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 105%
Angry

I agree completely. I do not even attempt to explain the diet, and I am determined not to mention a thing to anyone until I reach goal weight. I will let the results speak for themselves.

I have a printout of my pre Atkins health levels, (blood pressure, glucose test, cholesterol etc) and will get the same test done at goal. There are a number of so called nutrition gurus, workmates of mine, who are going to get the results shoved in front of their faces.

I have found that it is just easier to say that I am limiting bread and sugar (to zero). People are noticing the weight loss, however any thought that I am on a diet go out the window as they see me tucking into my bacon and eggs.

I will let them wallow in their blissful ignorance until goal.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 01:08

I think I am going to start doing the same by not telling people about Atkins. It is so narrow minded to not at least listen.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 02:02
Registered Member

Stats: 145/138/128 Female 163 cm
BF:27/23/18
Progress: 41%

I do not tell either! Usually I have been very "healthy" seem from my friends, meaning bread no butter, pasta no meat etc... now they say that they are glad that I have let go and just eat "normal".... such as deserts...(cheese), meat nuts etc... life is strange.

So I have not bothered to tell them that I do Atktins, if they feel happy seeing me eating this food, I am fine with that.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 02:37

Stats: 183/140/133 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Thumbs up

Same here.
People are always skeptical of new ideas, and even though this WOE is not new, it is just beginning to catch on here. So I decided from the onset not to volunteer information about the diet to anyone. The few who have noticed the weight loss can't put their finger on it anyway, and think I've cut my hair or something lol.

I for one have found that I am a lot more relaxed for not having to constantly explain eating habits in any detail.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 02:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / CKD
Stats: 191/187/165
BF:
Progress: 15%

I agree. I've experience the same thing, to everyone I know.

How funny it is to see there are so many ignorant people out there. They are willing to open their mouths about a subject they have no idea about. All they hear is "Eat Fat, No Bread, No Sugar" and they immediately think its bad for you and it will KILL you!
Usually when one wants to argue about a subject,one should have reseached it well, before begining the debate. But, they don't hear or read anything about it and they assume its bad.

I'm at the point were I don't say anything, and I don't argue.
I'll just let my weight speak for itself.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 02:50

Plan: PP / Atkins
Stats: 275/215/170 Female 5'8
BF:too much/26%
Progress: 57%

funnily enough, I just found another thread about this..

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...threadid=100808

it might have some tips to help you brush them off better?

I tell people where to stick their opinions personally.. I don't want their negativity around me. But I'm blunt and rude
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 04:31

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It does seem like the name 'Atkins' is like waving a red flag in front of a bull sometimes, doesn't it? If you're not the type that likes a good debate/argument, how about just telling people that you are eating more veggies and less bread and sugar?
If people persist, you could always tell them that you'd be happy to discuss it with them....once they've read a book on it and actually know something about it.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 04:40

Plan: PP / Atkins
Stats: 275/215/170 Female 5'8
BF:too much/26%
Progress: 57%

I tell total strangers who are rude enough to comment that I'm on an anti allergy diet..

it's true. My allergies have gone away pretty much since I started low carbing
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 06:19

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

That's so funny because five people that I have told about Atkins have started it...including my hubby. I don't usually volunteer the info unless I'm asked. A girl who works next door to me had heard from another girl over there that I had lost a lot of weight. (I hadn't seen her in a while because we both had quit smoking and so didn't bump into each other very often...lol). I popped over this morning and we were talking about what I'm doing and she asked me to bring my book in. She said she had put on about 20 lbs. since she quit smoking almost a year ago.

I have not experienced what you guys have yet...and hope I don't because I can imagine how annoying that would get. Just smile and go on...like Dr. A did. Imagine how *he* must have felt!

L
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 06:29
Urban Jungle Denizen

Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I don't believe in engaging people in a debate, however -

1. this isn't a secret, to be hidden and be ashamed of
2. speaking about things openly is the only way to increase awareness, and therefore acceptance
3. by sharing, you have an opportunity to educate others, and perhaps benefit them and help them.

Of course, if people are rude, you simply deal with them the same way you would if they are rude about any other matter. But putting yourself into some kind of "underground"? Not for me, sorry.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 08:31

Wow thanks for the input everyone. I think for me the best thing will be not to say anything at all unless people specifically ask me what I am doing to lose weight. It is not worth the headache to have to get a tongue lashing about what horrible things I am doing to my body. I swear people think that all I eat is meat and that being on Atkins means no veggies. I eat more veggies now than I ever have. Its okay, they can stay fat and I will continue with weight loss! Thanks for the support. This site is the best!!!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 08:40

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

That's the attitude, Sandra. If they ask, tell them as much info as they are interested in receiving. If they don't ask, just enjoy your delicious food -- smiling all the while. In any case, no one has the right to be rude to you. If they are, practice in the mirror at home until you have mastered the an stare that says "what business is it of yours?". That look, combined with a silence wilts most people.

Cindy
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 08:49

Stats: 250/180/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I haven't experienced any negativity when I tell people. Six people that I'm aware of started Atkins around the time I lost my first 50 pounds. Nothing succeeds like success.

Even my oncologist does Atkins.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 08:55

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

Don't tell them you're doing Atkins. Just say that you are cutting out sugars and flours. (Which IS Atkins!) You'd be surprised how many people are amenable to your plan if you don't say the 'A' name!

As far as the weight lost not 'sticking' - well, I lost 35 lbs. 8 years ago and never gained any of that weight back! So there, naysayers! Yes, it involved a change of attitude about food - basically, I learned that a family size bag of chips is not an appropriate snack! (And even the little bags are a bad choice, lol)

Just had the nummy breakfast that no one can deny the healthiness of - a chicken sage sausage (all white meat) and a big, juicy, delicious orange. For lunch I'll have a green salad with feta cheese, fresh tuna, tomatoes, and walnuts. I never say the word Atkins. People just walk by my desk, seeing what I'm eating for lunch, and say 'you're so healthy!' as they eat their pizza or sandwiches.