Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 09:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/199/155
BF:
Progress: 2%
Default cheating on induction

HI
I have just started induction and have been cheating! Of course I have not lost yet, but was wondering if anyone else cheated and still lost. I have had a couple of major cheats, but mostly minor otherwise, like having a few berries in cream. I am using aspartame but am going to stop. The great advice from this forum has said to increase my fat, which I am going to do. Please can anyone relate to really getting on track with this. Any sample meal plans would be most appreciated. I really believe that this LC WOE is the way to go!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 09:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Im on my 6 day of induction and i have cheated a few times the biggest one was when i ate a cabury chocolate creme egg. i felt bad after that then a day ago i had 5 potato chips (whew thank god it wasnt five bags..LOL)
but i have gotten better while my husband still eats cookies and has them around (im not going to make him change his habits the skinny thing ) i found myself reaching for his cookies but i didnt do it i was so close almost touching them and drooling but i walked away and felt pretty darn good about it. so far on my 6 days i have lost 5 pounds but i realised also that nuts werent allowed and i was having some now and then so i guess i have been doing well.
trial and error i guess...
good luck and i know you will feel better my hardest days were the first 3 by day 3 i had major cravings but now they have slowed.
i already have more energy and just feel happier
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 09:24

Stats: 183/140/133 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Smile

Welcome!
I believe the only way to really succeed on the Atkins plan is to commit to doing the induction phase for at least 2 weeks without cheating. Other wise you're not giving your body a real chance to adjust to the new WOE. Eat when you're hungry, and eat only what's on the list of foods allowed. I started out simple, with things like grilled chicken and mushrooms.

If you can manage to do this, within just a few days, your hunger will be gone, your body will adjust, and chances are you will feel so good, you won't have the urge to cheat anymore.

If you're having a bad day, or have a question just come to this board. There is so much support and helpful information here.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 09:27

Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I really think you need to have a clean induction to really get jump started on this diet. I may be wrong but I think staying strictly to the induction foods and carb quantities will get you into the fat burning stage and will also curb the cravings for all the things that you may cheat on. I stayed on induction foods for a long time because I have so much weight to lose, but if it was me and I had cheated, I would extend the induction until I had 2 weeks of no cheats.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 09:29

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I don't think there's any point in starting anything if you're not going to give it your 100%. You're changing your eating habits to lose weight, but more importantly, for your health. Two weeks isn't much to ask, you're not giving yourself a chance. Keep close to this forum, it's very motivating as well as supportive - give yourself the two weeks (it's not a lot for the great road ahead of you).

Vikki
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 09:38

Stats: 200/199/155
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hi All
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to be religious about this for another 2 weeks. I started last Monday. I agree, that I shouldn't start if I am not prepared to follow it. Dr. Atikins is the doctor and knows of what he speaks. (or spoke )
I am also pms-ing which could have something to do a 3 or 4 lbs. Thx again
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 09:38
Registered Member

Stats: 182/167.5/164
BF:
Progress: 81%

If you are going to cheat like that, forget this diet. You will not get into ketosis and the result will be worse than not being on this diet at all. If you combine the high fat required for Atkins with high carbs as well, you will gain more weight.

This is not like a low cal/low fat diet where you can cheat and get away with it. Your body needs to enter a delicate chemical balance known as ketosis. Cheating will throw you out of that. Maybe not a few berries, but a chocolate egg?

Last edited by DCMark : Thu, May-08-03 at 09:39.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 09:41

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Amen Smudgie, fishie and Vbrowne!!!

You don't have to do trial and error on induction. Simply follow the rules as written in the book or on the Aktins website and eat only the approved induction foods. This will allow your body to rid itself of many of the stored toxins and to break your carb addiction. The program is set up to work best when people follow the instructions. Why anyone would try to figure out a way to cheat is beyond me - they don't really cheat anyone but themselves.

Check out the recipe forum here - some good ideas for AFTER INDUCTION OWL. I think you can also look at other poster's journals - there may be menu suggestions there as well.

Good luck and welcome aboard!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 09:54
Registered Member

Stats: 237/226/120
BF:
Progress: 9%
Post Also confused about induction

I know that several things I thought were cheating are in the iffy catagory. For instance, if you look at the Atkins products, several of them are listed as being for stage 1 induction (like the bread mix) and I was under the impression that was a no no. If you are losing weight, then do you really need to follow things so strictly?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 10:02

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Just think, your weight loss could be even bigger if you follow induction to the letter. I think the marketing of those products is directly contradictory to the information on the website and in the books. I'd suggest you stay away from anything like the breadmix, candies, etc while on induction.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 10:31
Registered Member

Plan: atkins, my own LC- WOE
Stats: 248/215/185 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I just finished my induction, I had 2 bad Saturday nights with Pizza for supper(only 1.5 slices) and drank some Pepsi, I lost 9 pounds and found that as long as you get back at it right away and not too close to your weigh-in day you should be fine, don't deprive yourself of something..If you feel you really need it to make it, then I say do it and get back at it!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:02

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

I totally disagree Mikey..that is not the way to do this...this is a way of life...bad eating habits and rewarding ourselves with food is what got us fat.....you lost 9lbs..great...but if you had NOT cheated i bet you would have lost more It may have worked for you but people with serious addictions shouldn't be offered advice like that...there is no reason to cheat...none what so ever
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:30

Stats: 200/168/160 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 80%

stick to this WOE I messed up last time and got off the wagon. This is now my second time and I am determined to lose. Avoid cheats but they do happen from time to time.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:39
Registered Member

Plan: atkins, my own LC- WOE
Stats: 248/215/185 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I agree, constant cheating is not the way to go...the occassional" reward" is what gets me through every week..yes I may have lost more than 9 pounds but I was very satisfied with myself and I don't think you can deprive yourself of rewards otherwise you set yourself up for a major fall off the wagon!! I agree it is a way of life but I don't think I could go 30 years without a chocolate bar..sorry that's how I feel.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:52

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 248/219.5/150 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 29%

Mikeyy,

"DITTO"

It states in the Adkins book "you need to find what works for you, and if its a trigger food stay away".

Come on, give he a break with treating this book like a bible.

Good Luck and don't reward yourself to much or else this WOL will not work. Remember, you must get in ketosis, so stay away from those treats at least for 2-3 weeks.

You can do it!!