Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 04:30
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Thumbs up Low carb frozen entrees Chef's Choice

Hello...This is actually my first time to start a thread can you believe it

I don't think anyone has posted about these but at my local Wlmart Superstore-the kind that sell groceries (and everything else...lol) I found a low carb frozen entree!!!!!!

The brand is Chef's Choice and on the front of the blue box in a yellow triangle it states the carbs. It was located by the weight watchers smart ones meals and lean cuisiene.

There are 10 carbs in the 2 that I've looked at:
Garlic beef and broccoli---had tonight 10 carbs 5 fiber...good it tasted like chinese take out the sauce was a little thinner but spiced well

My friend had chicken primavera the other day and said it was "alright" 10 carbs and 4 fiber

They also had I believe chicken parmesan

The cost 3.49 not exactly cheap but nice for those who ocasionally have no time to fix something legal

Any one else try these??
Also I really liked this but for some reason food has been tasting really great to me lately so....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 15:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/190.5/180 Male 75 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 91%

Question????? Is the Carb count 10 carbs THEN minus the 5 grams Fiber or is the "ECC" the 10 carbs????? THe eternal question: is fiber subtracted or not already???? Any nasty sugar alcohols????
Kansas5
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 17:52
CAD for life

BF:
Default Hello

No it doesn't appear that the fiber is already subtracted....But I haven't run it through the hidden carb counter yet...

And I didn't see any sugar alcohols contained in these!!!!

MMMMMMMMMM
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 11:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Sounds interesting.

Can you post one of the Nutrition Facts and the Ingredients List labels here? That would be cool...

Or perhaps there's a webpage listed on the box?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 19:31

Plan: Maintenence-Atkins
Stats: 160/129/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 155%

Thanks for the info, will definetely check these out.
Vicky
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 00:47
CAD for life

BF:
Default Ok nutrional facts

This is Chef's Choice Garlic Beef and Broccoli Bowl 11 oz-311 g

Nutrional facts
serving size 1 bowl 311 g
servings per container 1

Calories 360 cal from fat 160
total fat 17 g
sat fat 6g
polyunsat fat 3g
monounsat fat 7g
cholesterol 85 mg
sodium 1570----high like most frozeen meals are
Total carbohydrates 10 g
dietary fiber 5g
sugars less than 1 g
protein 42 g

vit a 0%
calcium 8%
vit c 60%
iron 35%

ingredients cooked seasoned beef steak strips and binder product{beef, water, salt, dextrose, potato starch-modified, beef seasoning(beef stock, salt,maltodextrin,flavors,autolyzed yeast extract,fructose,vegetables made from carrots, onions and celery, soy sauce made from wheat, soybeans and salt, citric acid,potato sarch-modified,beef fat,tomato paste, white wine concentrate,natral smoke flavor) soy protein concentrate, sodium phosphates, carmel color,, spice extractives},broccoli,water,oil,cream sherry cooking wine{cream, sherry wine,salt,potassium metabisulfate(preservatrive)}, chopped garlic{garlic, water},garlic powder, roasted chicken flavor{chicken flavor, salt, sugar, molasses, sodium phosphates},pectin,onion powder, xanthan gum, ginger, salt, sesame seed oil, lemon juice concerntrate,red pepper

Hopefully this helps just a note this does not taste sweet at all more of a spicey but not hot sauce.

And I had it again tonight with some slightly sauted cabbage strips as yummy vegis/fakey noodle addition
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 00:49
CAD for life

BF:
Default Oh ya

No website listed on box

But heres the mailing info if your interrested

Chef's Choice consumer affairs
11432 LAckland Rd
St Louis MO

distibuted by Aurora Food Inc
No phone listed
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 06:26
Registered Member

Default ????????????? Fiber/ Carbs/ What is the ECC???

Ok: So can we deduct the fiber from these making the example 10 g carb - 5 g fiber = 5 g ECC?????? If so that is not to bad for a convience item to be used every once in a while. I just hope that the numbers listed are correct, and that the company didn't already subtract the fiber from the carb count. If it is truely 5 grams ECC then I can have it every once in a while. (I have been hearing recently that the Nutrional info on my beloved Robbins Nest cake rools might be wrong.... so no more cake roll treats!)

Thanks to all!!!

Kansas5
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 04:14
CAD for life

BF:
Default Well

It says in big letters on the front total carbs 10 grams so hopefully that is correct...expecially since they stress total carbs.

I have counted then as 5 carbs...good if in apinch!!!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 06:43
Registered Member

Well as much as I dislike Walmart Supercenters as a concept, I went into town yesterday for some other errands , stopped by the Walmart, but the store up in North Kansas City didn't carry the product..... so I guess I will have to wait.... I did buy another convience food though.... Steak-ums.... I have never had them, but they will sit in the freezer well, until they are needed one day when I'm in a hurry.

Kansas5
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 15:08
CAD for life

BF:
Default Ask

ASk them to get them in for you....Since another Walmart carries them they should be able to comply...

mmm steakum with mozz cheese and green peppers with onions I haven't had these in a long time

Rebecca
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 18:46
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up Thumbs Up

I had the Chef's Choice Chicken Toscana Bowl for dinner tonight. I bought three different Chef's Choice "flavors" at Wal*Mart over 6 weeks ago, but this is the first time that I've tried any of them.

It was great! One of the best microwave convenience dinners that I've ever had--either low or high carb. It contained (to quote the box) "roasted white chicken meat, sliced zucchini and yellow squash smothered in a zesty garlic tomato sauce with mozzarella cheese." There were big chunks of chicken and it was very filling. The box says 10 g total carbs and 2 g fiber, for an ECC of 8 g. The bowl had 370 calories.

Last edited by CarolynC : Thu, Jul-10-03 at 18:48.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 18:47

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Chef's Choice

I tried the Chef's Choice Chicken Cacciatore tonight. It was fantastic! It had 310 calories, 12 gm fat, 40 gm protein and 12 gms total carb, 3 gms dietary fiber.
If the rest of the family is having pizza, I think you could be happy with this. It would also be great if you live alone, the rest of the family insists on something you can't eat, and it would be great to take to work.
I got mine at Wal-Mart for $3.18.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 01:56

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

These sound great! Our local Wal-Marts don't carry much in the way of frozen foods, but that may be because they have a "Sam's Club" right across the parking lot...with large grocery departments.

I hate the lines and crowds in these warehouse joints, but I may just have to bite the bullet and see if I can find these there. This would make a wonderful break from nightly food prep for my wife and me. Cooking is sometimes fun, but not after putting in 12 hours at work...and we'd rather go out to dinner when we both don't feel like doggy-doo!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 04:34
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

My local Wal*Mart has added 4 new Chef's Choice low carb "flavors". That's 8 total now: 4 chicken, 2 beef, 1 pork, and 1 shrimp. I've tried 4 of them so far and they've all been great!