Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 16:36

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Has Giving Up COFFEE Really Restarted Your Weight Loss?

I'm curious - did your weight loss re-start when you gave up caffeine? I never thought I'd say this, but I'm willing to give it a try if people think it would help. I actually have some decaf beans in the freezer... Any info you can provide would be helpful
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 20:26
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hmmmm....well, I've never noticed that it helped or hurt with my rate of loss, but I never was a real heavy caffeine person....not like some I know!

I would say it depends on how much caffeine you consume. If you drink more than 3 cups of coffee/day or the equivalent in sodas, tea, etc., then you may want to at least cut back. It would be a good idea in any case...Caffeine in excess of 250mg/day is not very good for you.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 20:42
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just to second what Teri said, my gyno told me that more than 3 cups per day affects your hormones, usually by worsening PMS and that type of thing. Weight can be affected, too. So while a li'l coffee in moderation is probably fine, it would be a good idea for you to cut back if you're one of those "pot a day" people.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 00:04
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Well

I think giving up the cream inmy coffe helped...but I still consume a lot of caffeine most days and knock on wood I am losing well I feel...I have just hit a new low. I am howevr avoiding nutrasweet/spelnda/and desert concoctions maybe this has helped too???

Ok BYE YA
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 01:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195??/186/150
BF:
Progress:

Well, I am starting tommorow to give it up (to late today! lol) Even though mine are very low carb and sugar free it is triggering sugar cravings for me and I bombed today. So I am dropping it starting tommorow and will see where it takes me.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 02:37

BF:

No, I'm not a "pot a day" person. I have 3-4 cups a day, most days. And I do take half & half and AS in them..
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 09:01

Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

During induction I cosumed no caffeine. Now I have a latte every morning made with unsweeted soy milk and davinci sf syrup. In the afternoon I may have some green tea iced. That pretty much sums up my caffeine consumption. Before this wol I consumed too much pepsi one everyday. Thank you Dr. Atkins!!!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 09:25

Stats: 171/157/149
BF:
Progress: 64%

1busy momma,

Don't try to quit coffee by going cold turkey, the headaches and crankiness you will probably get will be brutal. i tried and I paid dearly, I think everybody at work hated me that week. The best way is to gradually cut down your caffeine intake over a week or so.

Good Luck,
Steve

PS Yes, I still drink coffee. i missed it so I started drinking it again.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 11:28

Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I forgot to add that I did give up alcohol. After my first induction I would allow myself two shots of rum twice a week. It really stalled me. So I decided to give it up until I get to my goal weight. I also had a couple of times where I was out of ketosis, so I redid the induction for two weeks and it really helped me alot. I am almost there
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 15:58

BF:

Thanks for your input, Steve and Junebug . Yes, Junebug, you are almost there! Congrats to you!

I have decided to RRRrrreallly watch the AS and see how that goes. The way I see it, I won't give up coffee for the rest of my life and I'm not a HUGE addict, so why kid myself? I'll try other things first. BTW, dropped a pound, so maybe the stall is over? I have been drinking more water lately, since I got a cooler and bottled water at home. Maybe that's doing the trick.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 19:09

Stats: 198/188/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

caffeine free soda and coffee are alright, right?? I don't think I could give up my decaf with heavy cream...
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-04-03, 21:36

BF:

Sure they are, no worries
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 12:51
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Give up caffeinated coffee?? You guys are animals! Can't I just hand over my spleen, instead?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 13:20

BF:

Hahahaha... yeah, that *would* be easier!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 14:27

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%
Cool quit coffee

I quit all caffeine when DH & I started LCing & we haven't looked back. I still need that cup or 2 of decaf Java in the AM with heavy cream & splenda and in the evening I have Decaf Tea (red rose)

I think it's all psychological, well it is for me anyway. My sister asked me "how do You wake up without caffeine!!"
I just do!

Every once in a while I'll go to Tim hortons & get a large DECAF with cream & sugar twin yum...

Pascale