Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Has Giving Up COFFEE Really Restarted Your Weight Loss? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=102858)

jeanyyy Sat, May-03-03 16:36

Has Giving Up COFFEE Really Restarted Your Weight Loss?

I'm curious - did your weight loss re-start when you gave up caffeine? I never thought I'd say this, but I'm willing to give it a try if people think it would help. I actually have some decaf beans in the freezer... Any info you can provide would be helpful :)

TeriDoodle Sat, May-03-03 20:26

Hmmmm....well, I've never noticed that it helped or hurt with my rate of loss, but I never was a real heavy caffeine person....not like some I know!

I would say it depends on how much caffeine you consume. If you drink more than 3 cups of coffee/day or the equivalent in sodas, tea, etc., then you may want to at least cut back. It would be a good idea in any case...Caffeine in excess of 250mg/day is not very good for you.

Kristine Sat, May-03-03 20:42

Just to second what Teri said, my gyno told me that more than 3 cups per day affects your hormones, usually by worsening PMS and that type of thing. Weight can be affected, too. So while a li'l coffee in moderation is probably fine, it would be a good idea for you to cut back if you're one of those "pot a day" people. ;) :thup:

BeccaResRN Sun, May-04-03 00:04

Well

I think giving up the cream inmy coffe helped...but I still consume a lot of caffeine most days and knock on wood I am losing well I feel...I have just hit a new low. I am howevr avoiding nutrasweet/spelnda/and desert concoctions maybe this has helped too???

Ok BYE YA :wave:

1busymomma Sun, May-04-03 01:12

Well, I am starting tommorow to give it up (to late today! lol) Even though mine are very low carb and sugar free it is triggering sugar cravings for me and I bombed today. So I am dropping it starting tommorow and will see where it takes me.

jeanyyy Sun, May-04-03 02:37

No, I'm not a "pot a day" person. I have 3-4 cups a day, most days. And I do take half & half and AS in them..

junebug61 Sun, May-04-03 09:01

During induction I cosumed no caffeine. Now I have a latte every morning made with unsweeted soy milk and davinci sf syrup. In the afternoon I may have some green tea iced. That pretty much sums up my caffeine consumption. Before this wol I consumed too much pepsi one everyday. Thank you Dr. Atkins!!!

StevenS Sun, May-04-03 09:25

1busy momma,

Don't try to quit coffee by going cold turkey, the headaches and crankiness you will probably get will be brutal. i tried and I paid dearly, I think everybody at work hated me that week. The best way is to gradually cut down your caffeine intake over a week or so.

Good Luck,
Steve

PS Yes, I still drink coffee. i missed it so I started drinking it again.

junebug61 Sun, May-04-03 11:28

I forgot to add that I did give up alcohol. After my first induction I would allow myself two shots of rum twice a week. It really stalled me. So I decided to give it up until I get to my goal weight. I also had a couple of times where I was out of ketosis, so I redid the induction for two weeks and it really helped me alot. I am almost there :D

jeanyyy Sun, May-04-03 15:58

Thanks for your input, Steve and Junebug . Yes, Junebug, you are almost there! Congrats to you!

I have decided to RRRrrreallly watch the AS and see how that goes. The way I see it, I won't give up coffee for the rest of my life and I'm not a HUGE addict, so why kid myself? I'll try other things first. BTW, dropped a pound, so maybe the stall is over? I have been drinking more water lately, since I got a cooler and bottled water at home. Maybe that's doing the trick.

Olivia Sun, May-04-03 19:09

caffeine free soda and coffee are alright, right?? I don't think I could give up my decaf with heavy cream... :p

jeanyyy Sun, May-04-03 21:36

Sure they are, no worries :)

Iowagirl Mon, May-05-03 12:51

Give up caffeinated coffee?? You guys are animals! Can't I just hand over my spleen, instead? :D

jeanyyy Mon, May-05-03 13:20

Hahahaha... yeah, that *would* be easier!

2Airedales Tue, May-06-03 14:27

quit coffee

I quit all caffeine when DH & I started LCing & we haven't looked back. I still need that cup or 2 of decaf Java in the AM with heavy cream & splenda and in the evening I have Decaf Tea (red rose)

I think it's all psychological, well it is for me anyway. My sister asked me "how do You wake up without caffeine!!"
I just do!

Every once in a while I'll go to Tim hortons & get a large DECAF with cream & sugar twin yum...

Pascale