Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 23:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/180/170
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Atkins Endulge PB cups.. and the Sugar Alcohol math equation.

So I found these Atkins Endulge Peanut Butter Cups.... and they are GREAT! I tried them and, along with other Atkins products, I cant believe that they are low carb.. almost too good to be true.

I ate a package of the PB Cups tonight after my dinner.. and decided to read a bit more about these "Sugar Alcohols".

I read the link on the "Low Carb Tips" and the explaination is great... and they even have a mathematical equation. So I decided to do the math... and in the end, according to the equation, there are probably more then the 2g of net carbs claimed on the package. I came up with 7.75...

Here are the stats on the Atkins PB Cups:

Calories : 160

Total Fat : 13g
Sat. Fat : 6g

Protein : 3g

Those are the values you need to do the equation. The equation, pulled right from the "Low Carbs 'Sugar Alcohol' Tips" page is:

Quote:
Sugar alcohols do have carb calories, and the body will use these as fuel, or store as fat, whether or not insulin is involved. You need to look at the total CALORIES for one serving of the product. Subtract from this total the number of calories from any protein in the product (prot = 4 cal. per gm), then subtract the calories from any FAT in the product (fat = 9 cal. per gm). What's left is the calories from carbohydrate ... divide this remainder by 4 (carbs = 4 cal. per gm). If the number you get is bigger than the number of carbs declared on the label, the product has hidden carbs, and it's most likely the polyol. Calories do not just disappear into thin air!

Now.. I did this equation as using the total fat as 13g, am I supposed to add 13 + 6 for total fat? Or is it 13g of fat, which is comprised of 6g sat. fat? If I did this wrong.. someone correct me.

I find this a bit odd.. anyone care to add or eplain this? Should I stop eating these things? Could they have more carbs then we know?
Sponsored Links