Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 16:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 256/181/160
BF:
Progress: 76%
Thumbs up Take off da carbs: Take off da pounds!

Hi everyone! Have been living the low-carb lifestyle now since May of this year. This is my first try at low-carbing after slowly inching my way up to tip the scales at over 250 lbs. by living the low-fat life. At 46 years of age, had kind of given up at ever being anything other than a "sturdy" woman. The one day, my daughter kinda off-handedly mentioned about a friend of hers, a chef at an Italian place no less, that had been doing the Atkin's diet with great success. The part that sold me was when she said. "You can lose weight doing all the things you normally do--even sitting there at your computer." The next day--I began and have never looked back!
Working at a hospital and being a member of the medical field, it was extremely hard to erase all the myths about weight-loss that I had been taught all through the years. Realizing that the "food pyramid" and low-fat foods full of carbs were responsible for my weight problem was half of the battle. Every day I heard, "that diet will make your kidneys fail" or "you will have a heart attack eating all that meat and fat." Now, after over 50 lbs. of weight lost, I see even the most stubborn of medical people are starting to rethink their approach. One day, I think the food pyramid could be completely flipped upside-down! (or is it that it will finally be rightside-up!!!)
So, as my final words of encouragement I say, that as with any diet or lifestyle change, you gotta stay committed but you don't have to stay hungry also. I suggest you find yourself low-carb treats (and there are plenty of them) and allow yourself to have them when cravings strike. Before beginning Atkin's, I was the worst carbohydrate offender on the planet and lived on soda pop and munchies. I now truly consider carbs to be my enemy and have gladly traded them for a "well-oiled", well-fed, leaner body!
Sponsored Links