Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 11:09

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default To belch or not to belch

It may be my imagination but I think I belch more than I used to.

Perhaps I should not use the word belch. In polite company I would use burp. Or if I were to go techno I would say Eructation. But Shakespeare would then never have invented Toby Eructation would he?

Dictionaries describe eructation as "the voiding of gas or of a small quantity of acid fluid from the stomach through the mouth". Normally the air in stomach is passed downstream into the intestines. Belching occurs when the stomach air, instead of going down, goes up into the esophagus and is expelled though the mouth. The acid taste of the fluid we all call heartburn

Belching after a meal, especially a big meal, I know is quite normal. It occurs as a result of air being swallowed while eating. In addition, a lot of swallowed air accumulates in stomach in between meals. The food once it reaches the stomach, displaces the air already present there.

The upward expulsion of air is facilitated by alcohol and carbonated drinks. Or for me - plain ol water.

Cultural acceptance of belching varies. While considered to be uncouth by Mrs R, a belch after a meal is considered to be a compliment for the chef in some eastern cultures that I have visited.

Aerophagia also means swallowing of air and is akin to a belch. It primarily occurs while eating, drinking, chewing gum and smoking. Sometimes anxiety causes people to suck air into the into the food pipe in addition to the wind pipe. It can be a nervous habit and nothing to do with the digestive system.

I do not think that I am stressed out over LCing so it has to be the food or the increased drinking.

So let me have it straight. Is it me or is this an LC side effect

Now I know that all you ladies when left alone in the house belch like troopers, so do'nt be shy. Tell me. No-one will hear.

Good news is that I now do not eat baked beans.

Last edited by rustpot : Mon, May-20-02 at 11:19.
Sponsored Links