Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 07:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/193/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Losing Inches

I have been on Atkins diet for over a month a show very little weight loss, however, I have lost some inches. My test strips are usually dark but the scale stays the same. When will the scale move or is this the wrong diet for me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 07:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Status

Are the inches you have lost, significant enough to be encouraging? What kind of exercise are you doing? Were you not exercising before you started Atkins? Those factors could affect your overall weight and progress. You could be trading fat for muscle right now. You could be holding water for some reason. But if you keep up the program, eventually you should see weight loss from it. It seems that the body tends to hold on as long as it can, then dump some pounds when it has to. Some of us are more metabolically resistent than others, and things can just take longer. Those inches are encouraging for me. Something is definitely happening for you.

Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 08:00
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Lost inches are excellent! I either lose weight or inches-but not both at the same time. Heck-I would take lost inches any day.

You are SHRINKING! The scale will eventually catch up.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 08:25

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Arrow

I lose inches at a faster pace than the scale shows -- it will catch up - your scale - I personally rather lose the inches more than the weight cause the inches show faster
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 08:44

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Another reason, besides the ones Tuethis mentioned, you might be trading fat for muscle is if you're getting adequate protein for the first time in your life. Your muscles might be delighted to be able to grow a bit. More true if you're also exercising.

Don't worry though. Muscle is leaner than fat (obviously ) and takes up less space, hence the lost inches. Not to mention that increased muscle needs more calories to support itself and will, in turn, burn more fat.

Anyway, try not to worry about the scale, and I guarantee you the weight and inches will drop! I've also heard (and experienced myself) that a lot of us either drop weight OR inches at one time. Usually a lose of a few inches is followed by a woosh of a few pounds.

You're doing great... hang in there!