Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 14:34

Plan: 1
Stats: 1/1/1
BF:
Progress:
Default If carbs not included in the net carb count stop ketosis then what's the point

I've tried using some of the Atkins products that list the net carbs in everything and I have found that they do a great job of keeping me out of ketosis. I made some posts on here and it seems that that is the same for most people. Given this, what exactly is the point of the Atkins diet if it counts the 'net' carbs. Isn't a great deal of the point of a low-carb diet to get a person into ketosis so the bulk of weight loss can happen? What do you think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 14:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

It's called $$$$.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 14:39
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I think that if it slows weight loss, they think they'll keep you "on the plan" longer and milk more money out of you..

Seriously, although I know a lot of people who still lose with these products, personally..I have to look at them as OCCASIONAL treats used only to help keep me awayfrom the real stuff if absolutely necessary.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 14:40
Brown-Eyed Girl

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Exactly!!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 15:26
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

mmmmmmmm I don't know if I understand the question exactly - are you only worried about the carbs not counted in the Atkins Products (cuz I know nothing about them) but, the other carbs that some people dont count are the fibre
like if something has 20 carbs but 6 are fibre then they count the ECC as 14
those are important since more fibre is helpful in weight loss.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 15:32
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here is the thing; all sugar alcohols are burned for energy, its just they are metabolised more slowly than fat. The effect they have on your blood sugar would be similar to eating some grams of protein.

Ketosis itself isn't all that important to losing weight anyway. Just because the strips show up negative doesn't mean you aren't burning body fat.

Personally, I enjoy several low carb products in moderation (say, a bar once a week or every other week, a shake every couple of days, bread every couple of days, etc) and I lose just fine.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 15:40

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I think that most of the Atkins products say on them that they are not allowed during induction, which is when the fastest weight loss occurs. So it would make sense to me if eating all of the LC products on a regular basis it would hinder your WL.
And like someone else mentioned, there is a lot of money being made with all the new LC stuff out. We just all need to be smart and use them sparingly while on induction.

I did buy some LC milk and Atkins cereal to eat before my workouts. Other than that I stick to the basics.

Wee
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 16:43

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

I used to eat a lot of teh Atkins bars in a pinch when I needed soem quick food. However, I have come to the point where I think you are better off eating a high carb fruit than you are some chemically engineered product that is "not supposed" to effect your blood sugar.

PS.....though I do love the Atkins Advantage Chocolate Peanut butter bars