Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 06:48

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Protein Power Pals -- GOBBLE GOBBLE!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 07:12

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Bawdy,
Widh I looked as good as you do in gray hair and glasses. Here's my gray-hair and glasses pic:
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 07:13

BF:

Rob, I'm so sorry. It's awful whenever a loved one passes, but somehow it's worse when it happens on a holiday so that you remember it every single year.

Since moving to Maine in 1985, we've spent probably 4 Thanksgivings apart (when he worked in Canada) and only a couple Thanksgivings in Michigan with his family. My father passed away a couple months before we got married, and my mother passed away 11 years ago. In fact, her funeral was held on DH's 40th birthday. How's that for a crummy birthday. 40th birthdays are traumatic in and of themselves, and to have to go to a funeral on that day . . .

---------

Elaine, you asked Wendy yesterday about how she stays full on a half cup of cottage cheese and a handful of berries. I wouldn't have believed it either. My appetite was getting up there when I decided to follow Wendy into the land of Lean for Life. A friend of mine gave me her book (it "didn't work for her"), so I read up. I did three complete protein days. The book says on a protein day you eat nothing but protein, and keep the carbs down to about 60. Huh? That didn't make sense to me. Wendy didn't have a problem with that. She ate protein in the form of eggs (1 carb each), meat (no carbs), yogurt (about 14 carbs per cup), and cottage cheese (about 8 carbs per cup).

Anyway, after three days of nothing but protein for me (and I mean nothing but protein), my appetite disappeared. Now I'm eating around 1100 calories a day and have to remind myself to eat.

Take yesterday, for example. At 5:00 am, I had 1 whole egg and 2 whites scrambled with 1 ounce of cheese in 1 pat of butter, and one slice of LC bread (4 carbs) with 1 pat of butter.

I didn't even think about eating again until around 11:00 when I had 1/2 cup of lower-fat cottage cheese and 1/2 cup of grapefruit sections. At 2:00, I had a small pork chop (maybe 4 ounces). For dinner I had maybe 6 ounces of pork, no veggies. That's it.

Now that's probably not even enough. I should probably eat more veggies or something. The scale is still stuck at 165, but again, my clothes are all getting looser. (See, Rebecca? Scales are evil! )

So that's how you stay full on such little food.

----------

Ellie, glad to hear about your neighbor, but sad to hear DD is sick again. I know you said she's tried everything for her migraines, but has she tried Imitrix? It didn't work for me, but I know it works for others. When I tried it, it was the injection; I know it's in pill form now. Also, what about biofeedback? A lot of people have luck with it, and no drugs are involved (which in my mind is always a good thing).

Thanks for the recipe. I was going to ask for it. That's great that it has only 3 effective carbs per serving. But how many servings does it make? Do you make it in an 8x8 pan? As for freezing, I find you can freeze almost anything. The only thing I've found that doesn't freeze well is cheese (except for like the cheese on top of casseroles).

Where did you originally get the recipe?

----------

Dreamer, which recipes did you try? I love the "Melt in Your Mouth Pancakes" with sour cream. I need to make only a half recipe at a time, though, because I eat it all and always feel too full afterward.

The other recipes in the Eades' cookbook look good, but that's the only one I've made. I bought some of the ingredients for the cakes and desserts, but haven't tried them yet. Maybe I'll make a LC dessert for today. Since DH is leaving on a business trip on Sunday morning, we decided it's probably a bad idea to make pumpkin pies today (they're basically for him after I have one slice). Any suggestions?

As for Dana Carpender's book, I've made several of her recipes. On page 283 is a recipe for Crispy Parmesan Fish. She actually stole this recipe from me (or else it's one heck of a coincidence! ). I've used this topping for years on fish, boneless chicken breasts, and pork chops.

Another good way to make chops or boneless breasts is to lay them in a roasting pan, "frost" them with mayo, and sprinkle on bacon bits (the real kind in a jar, not the artificial kind).

--------------------

Orang, thanks for the pic. You made me feel better about the glasses. I wore them yesterday at work, and one guy said they made me look like a "prim and proper, buttoned-up librarian who turns into a hot mamma at night!" Hey, I can live with that description!

After work, I stopped in at The Christmas Tree Shop (I hate that place; everything is so inexpensive you end up buying tons of stuff you don't need) because someone said they had a huge selection of reading glasses. I bought three pair at $4.99 each! Much more funky than the ones I got from the optometrist.

-----------------

This is getting mighty long, so I'll just say hello to everyone I missed and catch up a little later.

Hmmmmm. Now which LC dessert should I make?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 07:14

BF:

Orang, at least you've waxed since the last pic we saw of you!

#5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 07:39

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Gobble-Gobble back at ya!

Thanks for the protein day info, Bawdy. When I eat exactly what you had for breakfast at the same time in the AM, I am ready to eat something around 9 o clock. That's why I wind up having a snack at work....maybe 3 days of this will help. Anyway, willing to give it a go, I will start tomorrow.

Wound up making cranberry sauce out of whole fresh cranberries, water and Splenda! And, as I like to have yams at this time of year, found a LC recipe for yams-you use splenda (I added a little brown sugar twin) butter, a little cream. The recipe called for 2 eggs but I wanted something closer to a candied yam so left those out. It tastes pretty good and is enough to satisfy my T-day yam craving. So I am armed and ready to do battle later today

Am planning to go out and take a walk. It's not as cloudy as they predicted.

Rob,{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ }}}}}}}}}}}}}.We're here for you, whether you feel like posting or not.

Bawdy,Ellie, Wendy,Dreamer, the freshly-waxed Orang , Marnie our missing Lissette and anyone else I might have missed-have a great holiday!!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 08:16

BF:

OK, which one of you took my large Tupperware container and didn't return it?

BTW, no comments on my "Yeti ala cart"? I thought that was right up there with "Chicken ala Orang."

I crack myself up!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 08:50

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

HAPPY TURKEY DAY EVERYONE!!

Rob You will be in our thoughts today.

It is just the 4 of us here.....both of our families are out of town. Right now I am cooking an egg bake with cheese and bacon......the kids love it Ham for later!!

Laters

Robin
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 08:54

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I'm guilty of having the tupperware - using it to store pics

Loved the Yeti a la carte joke.

Welcome to the world of funky glasses - love what the co-worker said... that is similar to comments I've gotten.

Rob - I join the others in giving you a huge hug and telling you you are a loved and valued member of this bunch. You and your cln are in my prayers - hope you have a good day.

BTW, how did you get away from the lady at Wally-World?

Elaine -
T-day feast looks good - save me some for when they let me eat again - looks like soft food my start about next Monday. For now, its NG tube only (to give the wounded esosphagus time to heal)
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 09:15

BF:

We haven't heard from Lissette in a day or so, I thought SHE had my tupperware! At least I know it's being put to good use.

I just popped three loaves of "Rich Low-Carb Pound Cake" in the oven. The batter was wonderful. The recipe is from the Eades' cookbook. I usually shy away from any recipe that calls for beating egg whites separately and then folding them in. Never had much luck. This came out well, though. It has a ton of ingredients, though: cream cheese, butter, eggs, heavy cream, whole-wheat flour, vital wheat gluetn, protein powder, baking powder, vanilla extract, lemon extract, Splenda, and almond meal/flour. Phew! It has to bake for an hour and then cool before you can slice it.

The loaves are the small pans -- 3 x 6. They say to cut each loaf into 10 thick slices, and then each slice has 2.8 effective carbs and 3.9 grams of protein. Not bad! I have some frozen local strawberries that I'll thaw, and then top it all with whipped cream. I like light, lemony desserts like this. I won't tell DH it's low-carb, but he'll probably guess.

Interesting thing about the soy protein powder vs. whey protein powder. In the introduction, they say the jury's still out on the health risks of processed soy. They say naturally fermented soy products seem to be healthy. Anyway, they say you can substitute whey for soy powder. For every 1/4 cup of soy powder, instead use 1/3 cup of whey protein. They also said there might be a slight loss in texture.

I'll be back later to let you know how it turns out. Time to fix the stuffing.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 10:07

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

I confess, IT WAS ME!!!HA

Hey HAPPY THANKSGIVING ! Our dsl server has been down for awhile and have had problems with getting on the internet, I think that they have finally solved it!

Orang, I am happy to see that you are getting better! It sounds like you are having a delicious meal to day! (at least you will be starting on the soft foods soon! I see that you have been busy with the photo island again, Rob in the cart was good, but I vote for Bawdy in the sexy librarian glasses!
Oh and one more suggestion, VICTORIA"S SECRET UNDERWIRE BRA!!!

Rob, our thoughts and prayers go out to you at this difficult time.

BW,Thanks for the suggestions that you gave Elaine, I am still researching it also, I too have found a loss of appetite when on the 3 days of protein! I do not always have time for fitday so I have have been jottting down what I eat and plan out what I can have for the rest of the day so I do not go over the fat and calories! I made a chocolate chip cookie- type dessert for today, I wanted to be able to have something legal.(the 2 cherrie pies that I had baked was NOT on the lc menu!HA) I have some cauliflower and am going to try to make them similar to the mashed potatoes. any ideas??? Good luck with the pound cake!

Elaine, HI! The cranberries sound good, isen't splenda great??
You must be having mild weather still, (lucky you!) We did not get as much snow as some parts of SD, the winds were terrible, but blew alot of it away down into the draws, I have heard that we are going to get another chance at some milder weather though! Have a good walk and enjoy the day!

Ellie, Hope that you will be able to find something to help with your DD's migraines! I have heard that in some severe cases they have resorted in botox shots to weaken the muscles and reliving the pressure! Glad that your neighbor is alright!

Rebbecca, I see that you have gone down in weight! , just don't weigh your self so much, water weight can account for alot! Do not let it get you down!! Like BW said, the scales can be the !!

Robin, Don't let your Dh's comments get you down, YOU know in your heart that this is a woe, not just a fad diet, he should be happy that you are trying to make some healthy changes! Alot of men do not like change, this could be the root of his sarcasim! And this is not just to lose weight, but to be healthier, THAT"S the difference!

I know that it is a little late, but WECOME DREAMER! Glad to have you here!

Marnie, hope that you are having a good visit with your son, (Tell him it is YOUR turn for the computer!) HA

Wendy, hope you have a safe and fun trip! (sounds like things are still going well with the DF)!

Well HELLO to everyone else! Have a GREAT Day!!

Last edited by Lissette : Thu, Nov-27-03 at 10:20.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 11:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Happy Thanksgiving to all you South of the Border PP'ers!

Bawdy, you may be interested in this article on soy: Sorting out the Soy Story.

I replied to your pound cake question.

Karen
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 11:17

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Happy Thanksgiving!

Rob - Our prayers are with you today. I am so sorry for your loss

Bawdy - You can make the coffee cake in a 8 inch cake pan. it makes about 6 realistic servings. DD did try imatrex but it didn't work for her. The first dose would take the headache away for about 30 minutes then it would come back and not respond to the second dose. She is now taking a drug called Frova. It helps about 75% of the time.

Here is another recipe, this came out very yummy!

Sweet Potato Casserole:

3-4 sweet potatos baked until tender
3 TBS butter
1.5 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp molasses
2 TBS artifical sweetner

Mix all ingredients well and spread in a greased casserole dish. Top with:

1/2 cup almond flour
2 TBS butter cut in small pieces
pinch of cinnamon
2 TBS splenda

Combine until resembles small crumbs and sprinkle on top of sweet potatos and bake at 350 about 30 minutes. Great make ahead dish!

OK....I have got to prep the Turkey but I will be back!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 12:37

BF:

Lissette, may I have my tupperware back now? As for the mashed cauliflower, I strongly urge you to use a food processor. Without a food processor, it just doesn't have the right consistency. I'm opting for regular mashed potatoes today and stuffing, too. It will be a day of mild indulgences.

Karen, what would we do without you? Thanks for the soy link. A number of us here have trouble with soy. I thought I did, but now I don't think so -- at least not in the little bit I consume. I'm leary, though, which is why I limit how much I have. I had made the LC granola in Dana's cookbook, which is almost solid TVP (texturized vegetable protein -- SOY!). It was yummy, especially in plain yogurt, but I felt that was way too much soy to eat. I'm looking forward to reading the article.

Ellie, you must be a fantastic cook, because both recipes today sound delicious! I usually make real sweet potatoes -- cooked, then topped with maple syrup, lots of butter, and cinnamon and nutmeg. This year I bought the frozen side dish and plan to doctor it up a bit.

The lemon pound cake turned out more like lemon bread. Not bad, just not what I expected. I still plan on serving it for dessert with strawberries and whipped cream.

Turkey's in the oven, and the stuffing is made. I don't like stuffing in the bird, so I just bake it about a half hour on the side. I make mine with sausage, onions, celery, apples, water chestnuts, and walnuts.

So who's planning on putting up their Christmas tree this weekend?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 13:11

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

We are putting our tree up I am actually thinking about putting it up today. I did so much cooking yesterday that there isn't too much left to do. Bawdy, the molasses combined with the artificial sweetner (I used liquid splenda) get a brown sugar taste which is what I used to use. I have seen alot of recipes where they use SF pancake or maple syrup which would work too.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 13:30

BF:

Ellie, where did you get your liquid Splenda?

Do you know you're only 3 posts away from getting your first drumstick?

Last edited by BawdyWench : Thu, Nov-27-03 at 13:31.