Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 00:22
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power, low fat, low carb
Stats: 118/111/100 Female 5'6
BF:13%
Progress: 39%
Unhappy How to stick to LC?!!!

I feel like such a big fat failure! When I started Low carbing about 3 weeks ago, I did very well for about a week... then I lost it, and now i'm only able to stay with it for a couple of days before I totally binge on carbs!!!! I'm sooo pissed at myself, I started this whole thing to get out of the yo yo dieting trap, and guess what?... I'm doing it all over again! Does anyone have any tips on how to stop yourself from binging on carbs? Keep in mind that before I started this diet, I was basically on the highcarb, low fat, calorie controlled diet, and had hit my weight plateau, and can't seem to lose any more! I would greatly appreciate it if anyone had any tips on how to get past this carb binging habbit!!

Jessica
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 00:38

Plan: ketogenics
Stats: 89/84/68
BF:40% 40% 20%
Progress: 24%

Hi JessaLynn

You sound like a tiny thing allready, you lucky thing. Rest assured it is always hard changing your way of eating. I have been doing this now for a month and a bit I think and I have stuffed up heaps. I find that each time I stuff up it takes even longer to get into ketosis. It's crap I know, but you know what we are humans who unfortunatly are weak. I feel even better though each time I get back into it and each time I cheat I feel like crap which is quiet motivating because I don't want to feel like crap. Maybe you need to think about why you keep binging. I know for me it's because I lose focus of that gorgeous bikini I'm going to stun everyone in this Christmas (summer in Oz).

Have you tried starting a journal? So you don't feel like you are the only one feel free to read mine. But I'm now back on track ( but not yet in ketosis). I think everyone has a hard time of it by the look of their journals. So chin up and keep trying.

Good luck
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 00:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/227/140 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 18%

I guess all I can say is that you have to make up your mind, and stick to it...
I know that it is hard...sometimes I am doing it one minute at a time...never mind one day at a time...but I just remind myself why I am doing this...for me and for me only....
I don't think this is particularily helpful, but it is how I get by...as I said...often one minute at a time.

Last edited by DarB : Fri, Jul-11-03 at 00:41.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 02:28
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power, low fat, low carb
Stats: 118/111/100 Female 5'6
BF:13%
Progress: 39%

Hey guys,
thanks for the support, I know I can do it if I just put my mind to it... just so hard to get past the first week! Where do you have a journal on line? I would like to start one! Thanks again!
Jess
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 03:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Jessa with your stats:
Start weight 118
Current weight 115
Goal weight 100
Height 5'6
You don't need a diet. I would recommend talking to a counselor or some other professional about body image.
Good luck
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 04:35

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Atkins may be more than weight loss

Although I'm concerned about the stats, too. But as for your direct question:

LOTS of info on the boards about falling off. Look around. I think I posted one on Atkins for Green Peppers; there's another on Addiction, I think, about Night Eating. Some people are able to get on and stay on and other people have more changes to make.

1. Make sure the house is carb-free and when you have to binge, do it with LC foods. The effects are much milder.

2. Look out for what might be binge triggers / intolerances. I never thought I had any, until I had a few weeks of carb-free living and then found myself driven to eat.

There are benefits to the LC WOE beyond weight loss.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 05:30

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Jessica

Your stats say that you do not need to diet. You are a very healthy weight already for someone who is 5' 6" tall.

You might not like your body imagine and I suggest you undertake some sort of exercise regime to tone up those muscles which will make you look a lot better.

You might want to eat low carb for the rest of your life so that you have a healthier lifestyle. Look at the reasons why you have binged. It might be that you have not been eating enough and therefore have got hungry. When you feel really hungry the carb monster can appear and easily weaken your resolve.

This way of life will not allow you to get below your optimum weight, so exercise and eat healthy for a great life.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 07:40

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Jess,

Because you're already at a healthy weight, I would suggest that you eat higher levels of carbohydrates -- you could begin in Maintenance rather than Induction.

I think you'll find this less "depriving" and it should still aid your general health and well being.

Exercise more, and i would bet, even at maintenance, some weight would come off.

Hogarth
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 11:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Hey, Jess-

Be careful about all the cautions you've just read. I have two daughters who are 5'6", and one has a very small frame. Her best weight is 120. If you feel the need for a controlled plan, go for the maintenance phse of Atkins, plus lots of water and exercise. At your age, I wouldn't be too concerned about weighing too much. All those images of supermodels and celebrities who are 5'9" and weigh 130 are TOTALLY UNREALISTIC. Don't fall for that stuff!