Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 10:39

Plan: Dr. Atkins Diet
Stats: 232/215/190 Male 71"
BF:50%/31%/20%
Progress: 40%
Default Ketosis question

When I was told I was type 2 diabetic, my doctor put me in a diabetic education program. I might be confusing this with something else, but the nurse educator said that not only did we have to check our blood sugar, we needed to get ketostix to check to make sure we were not in ketoacid or something to that effect. Is this the same as ketosis or is this a different condition?

I remember reading about ketosis in the Atkins Diet Revolution but don't remember any other condition discussed.

I feel so much better since starting the Atkins Plan and wonder why the nurse educator stressed the ketostix. Seems to me ketosis is a good thing. Any comments or information would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 10:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 161/152/125 Female 64
BF:35/32/18
Progress: 25%
Default Ketosis versus ketoacidosis

The dangerous condition is called ketoacidosis . It is different from ketosis you get with a low-carb diet.

Ketoacidosis is a potentially fatal condition, which is why the nurse mentioned it. The nurse should also have mentioned that your blood sugar levels would be very high.

There is a lot of information on this topic - try the search function using "ketoacidosis," and you'll get far better and more technically correct answers than mine.

Bottom line - Dr. Atkins refers to the diet-related ketosis as benign dietary ketosis - nothing to worry about.

HTH
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 10:58
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Michael,

Good question!

Yes, diabetics need to be watchful for diabetic ketoacidosis, or DKA, which results from uncontrolled high blood sugars. Due to lack of insulin, sugar builds up in the blood causing an acid condition -- not to mention all the harm to kidneys and organs that comes from having so much sugar present. Because there's too little insulin to help the cells use that sugar for energy, the body starts breaking down fat to make ketones for survival. The ketones add to the already-present acid condition, and the combination of high blood sugar plus ketosis causes a profound diuresis. The toxic levels of sugar and acid, plus severe dehydration requires emergency treatment at a hospital. Typically, IV fluids are given, along with injections of insulin and potassium to help bring the sky-rocketing blood sugars down to normal levels. Other drugs are given to buffer and alkalinize the blood.

Ketone production associated with low-carb dieting is known as benign dietary ketosis, or BDK. This is totally different from the above situation ... and the word "benign" means harmless. With BKA, there is no uncontrolled high blood sugar, and there is no life-threatening acid condition in the blood.

hth,

Doreen