Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 09:45

Plan: Atkiens
Stats: 270/270/185
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Has anyone ever bled in thier urine

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I want to try the Atkien diet again. I went on it last year. And I was doing great, but after the second week, I bled in my urine. Scared me so I went off the diet. I am hoping for some reason it was coincidental and I want to try the diet again. I drink ALOT of water..about 5 litres a day on average when not dieting. I have a bowel problem that takes most of my water. Do you think maybe this is the problem, and my kidneys are not getting enough of the water that I drink?
I thank you for listening.
Any response is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 10:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/186/120 Female 5'2" Inches
BF:

The only time that I have had blood in my urine was when I was running and my body wasn't used to it. It was only a couple of times and that was the pressure that I was putting on my liver and it was making it "leak." The only thing that I can suggest is to go to a doctor first (they tell you to get all the blood work done anyway) and ask him.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 10:13
Registered Member

Stats: 350/340/186
BF:
Progress: 6%

The problem is trying to figure out if the blood found its way into the urine because of something connected with the diet or whether something else happened independant of the diet but at the same time.

I did a quick web search and could only find one instance matching the search phrase "low carb blood in urine". And even that wasn't exactly about a low carb diet. With the thousands of people using low carb it seems unlikely that the diet would cause this problem with no one posting about it.

But, as you have an ongoing medical condition it might be complicating the usual course of the diet. The doctor who is treating you for the bowel problem should also know about any change in your diet. If it were me, I would do this diet but be carefully monitored by my doctor.

Slowday

Last edited by slowday : Mon, Jan-06-03 at 10:14.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 10:22

Plan: VLC
Stats: 248/188.8/148 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 59%

The only time it ever happened to me was due to a bad UTI. UTI's are painful enough to have me rushing to the ER anyway.

You should definitely call your doctor though and have it checked out. Pink pee is always bad, IMHO.

Kate
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 11:55
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Lumberette,

There should be no reason whatever for low carbing to cause haematuria, or blood in the urine. I hope you sought medical attention immediately? Blood in the urine can have many causes, including infection and a kidney stone.

As Dr Atkins advises, you should see your doctor before the commencement of a low carb eating plan for some basic blood tests. Those tests should include a test for kidney function.

You don't give details of your bowel problem (and that's okay ), but many bowel problems such as IBS are dramatically improved by low carbing.

Good on you for drinking plenty of water. Always a good idea, but especially helpful when low carbing.

I hope you decide to restart low carbing - but do get those tests first.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 13:26

Plan: Atkiens
Stats: 270/270/185
BF:
Default Thank yolu for all the replys

I want to thank you all for the quick replys. I think that I am going to retry this life change again. My parents used the Atkeins diet..and did wonderfully, they never felt better in thier lives. As for me...to diet is out of the question other than, low carb high protein. As with my bowel condition I am not able to eat hardly any vegtables or fruits, or fibre for that matter. I have not large bowel, I have had it removed and I am very limited on what I can eat, have to watch closely. Only bad thing, is I am a Pepsi a-holic..will have to cut out my Pepsi, other than Diet Caffeine free.
Wish me luck all, and thanks again.

lumberette
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 20:08

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 271/162/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default I am Peeing Blood

I started peeing blood this morning and by this afternoon it was quite dark with blood clots.... looks like I am having a period and I had all that stuff removed 10 years ago.... and to pee is like no worse than giving birth... I left work today and went to the doctor and she's running tests because everytime I've done LC this happens to me... and I drink gallons of water also... and only water.... Just took the 2nd pill she gave me... hope this works soon... cuz this is no fun.... I also went in a bit ago and took 4 cranberry pills...
If anyone finds out what is causing this I'd sure love to know.... and btw, I am Judi...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 20:56
Registered Member

Stats: 350/340/186
BF:
Progress: 6%

Hi Jraz

I did a web search and went though almost every conceivable combination of search terms but couldn't come up with anything that would link blood in urine to low carb dieting.

There was one possiblity that did come up and that would be a high fat diet and a kidney stone. But even that is really tenuous, and is mostly speculation and one two week study. These sites also speculated that the absence of calcium in the diet aggravated existing kidney stones or helped cause the formation of new ones. Again. its just speculation.

I did have a kidney stone and there was quite a bit of pain involved which you mention having. The pain could also be some kind of urinary tract infection, which I also had once and it was an intense burning sensation.

I wish I could be more help. I'll be praying for a solution to your problem. See you back on the triple digits thread.

slowday
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 18:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

My father has this problem whenever he eats processed meats like summer sausages which have liquid smoke in them.