Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 17:39

Plan: CKD
Stats: 162/?/? Female 5'6
BF:16
Progress: 0%
Default Question about alcohol

In a couple weeks I'm meeting an old friend and I can't promise myself that I won't drink alcohol. If I do indulge, is it better to do it while carbing up or during the low-carb phase? I know I will stick to the diet no matter what I'm doing. But I'm not sure if I should skip the carb up that weekend or not.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-02, 14:21

Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6

Tough call. For sure it's very easy to get really smashed when you're in ketosis - no liver glycogen to maintain blood glucose. It's possible to have some fun on it, but ya gotta be careful. I've found it to be very hard to not make a munchie stop on the way back from a bar.

I've recently done some reading on how alcohol is metabolised, but before all the science, consider that one time isn't going to make a major difference. Anyways, assuming you're not drinking anything with sugar, you'll be lowering blood glucose, so in my opinion, it's best done when you've just carbed and actually need to lower blood glucose anyway.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 09:47
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 280/270/200
BF:
Progress: 13%

last friday i did started my carb up and then hung out wth some friends and "had some fun". i figured it would be best to have the alcohol during my carb up.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 11:24

Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6

I admit that I've been frequenting the fun, so to speak, probably more than I should. Changed the choice of fun from red wine to gin and diet tonic though, and noticed a difference - less residual water retention in the morning and I don't get the urge to jump off the diet and eat a tub of ice cream.

I've always gone for the red wine because a) I like it and b) it's reported to have all of those antioxidant qualities. However, I think there's something specific about it that plays a trick with water balance - after all, it is the preferred vascularity-enhancing agent among bodybuilders. Maybe it's the trace carbs, maybe it's something else...

I vividly remember a case when on a Wednesday or something, when I was in ketosis and with very low subcutaneous water, I had some wine and within minutes felt a rush of water under the skin. It wasn't exactly pleasant.

Anyone else's experiences?