Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 12:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/272/205
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Headache after 16 days <<<HELP>>>

Hi, this is my first post. I am male, and 41 yrs. old. I started the LC diet on 1-1-02. I estimate that i am having about 8-12 carbs a day. I started at 296 and now am at 272. SHOCKED me that it was this easy. I started a multivitamin called Life Essence on 1-5-02. That helped with my energy level.
The reason i am posting, I woke yesterday with a slight headache..........I woke today and it was unbearable. Any ideas???
I haven't changed my diet or carb intake since i started.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thx in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 13:10

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hi,

becasue we drink so much water, we tend to lose nutrients from all the trips to the bathroom and after a few weeks, like you I started noticing a few ailments too. The first was leg cramps and then i started to get headaches as well.

For me this came right when i added magnesium ( for the cramps) and potassium (for the headaches).

Hope that helps

Lesley
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 13:18

BF:
Progress:

Could be Lesley........I consume massive amounts of water daily, even before i started the LC diet. <by massive i mean 7-8 quarts> ALOT more than most people i am around, but have done that since high school. I will start measuring the amount of water i take in.
I do know since i started the diet my water intake has gone up.
I know i have felt GREAT since i started the diet, and the weight loss has helped improve my moral.
Thx for the reply.

#4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 14:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default welcome Griffin

It sounds like U are off to a great start! Congrats on your weight loss. Now about the headaches I think it will be something short lived. What about caffiene? Have U increased or decreased in the last couple days?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 14:44

BF:
Progress:

Thx for the reply...........Got to thinking about it, and realized i had a Diet Coke yesterday..........After lurking on the forums last week, I cut them out cold turkey. Didn't have a problem with that, but was in a meeting yesterday, didn't have access to more water, so drank a Diet Coke. Trust me, after this morning, I WON'T make that mistake again.
Trial and error. LOL
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 16:27

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

griffin--how wonderful that you are doing so well and already becoming your own best researcher! Applause to you! And you are right--easiest "diet" in the world!

Aspartame, nuts, and aged cheese can trigger migraines. If you've dramatically increased the amount of nuts or cheese you eat, that might also help explain, but that aspartame is nasty stuff, so you're probably right!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 16:36

BF:
Progress:

Hi razzle. I don't eat nuts anymore..........didn't eat many to start with except in my famous pecan pie. Do that around the holidays. I eat mild cheddar cheese, I have upped my intake of that since starting the LC diet, but I felt fine until that twinge yesterday morning, and then that awesome splitting headache this morning. It felt like i had been on a 4 day drunk. LOL
I can't believe a couple of Diet Cokes can make you feel that way.
Learned my lesson FOR SURE. Just hope the next lesson isn't as painful. LOL