Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 22:05

Plan: general low carb with a l
Stats: 151/150/120 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default What to eat on vacation...

Hi all,

I am less than 10 pounds from my first goal - yeah! But I will be going to Europe in 2 weeks and am really worried about food choices and my resolve while there. The trip includes Continental breakfasts which is usually things like danish and croissants or maybe cereal and fruit. I'm thinking of skipping both breakfast and lunch and just have a low carb high protein bar until dinner where I'll have more choices.

But I'm wondering if anyone has any better ideas. Language will be a problem too so it won't be easy to ask a waiter how something is prepared. If I have a glass of wine each night, will that be a major problem - I mean cause me to gain weight rather than just maintain? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 00:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/168/145
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi emsy,
I was in 4 different european countries this summer, staying in hotels, and in each one the continental breakfast included cold cuts of meat and sliced cheese. Don't ask me why, but it's good news for you! Also, I was able to get chicken everywhere I went, plain rotisserie kind usually. Many places also served great fish in yummy cream sauces. I wasn't LCing at the time (as evidenced by the fact that I lived off of fries, crepes and ice cream...this is the reason I gained some of the weight in the first place!!!) but I think you will be fine.
Susan
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 00:57

BF:

Thanks Susan - that makes me feel a lot less nervous!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 12:14

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Emsy, if Germany is on your list of countries, then for lunch or dinner you might want to consider Rouladen.

A Roulade is a wide thin strip of beef, spread with mustard, salt and pepper and sprinked with some chopped onions. A piece of bacon and a quarter of a dill pickle are put at one end, then it is rolled up cigar style. It's pan browned, then simmered in it's own juices until tender. Absolutely yummy and LC. It's usually served with potatoes, warm vinegared purple cabbage and gravy, but you can probably get substitute sides.

There is apprently an Italian version, which has spiced ground pork inside instead of the pickle and bacon. Have no idea what that is called.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 22:56

BF:

Thanks for your suggestion, Angela. I will be in Germany (as well as Holland, Belgium and France. I'll be flying on Lufthansa airlines. I wonder if they serve the roulade?