Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 04:45

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default weird alcohol question

Hello

I did see the Poll further down, but as this question is not only about Vodka, I thought I'd ask it here.

How come, that every time I drink Alcohol, I lose weight ?

Allthough I stick to Vodka/Diet Coke most of the time, I also drink dry red wine. Normally in moderation, but occasionally lots more
Last week a lot of things happened and I well ovedrank on Friday and Sunday (the hangovers on this diet should really be a turnoff...). On Monday, I thought, oh well, lets see what the damage is, and wow, I dropped about 2kg. I put it down to the fact, that I wasn't able to eat the day after drinking. Yesterday I ate normally, but went to the after-work-drink (1st day of Beergarden Weather, Yay ), had 2 Vodkas and this morning I had dropped 1kg, even though, due to "time-of-the-month" I should have really either stalled or moved up the scale ????

Now I find this really weird. I would have thought, that the body would stop burning fat and burn alcohol instead ? Plus possible water gain ?

Anyone else have this "problem" ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 05:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/140/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 105%

Well, my first thought is water loss. But if you maintain that weight loss than I really don't know. Congrats on the weight loss though!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 06:32
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Well alcohol can dehydrate you, so I also imagine its water loss. It may also be coincidence. Hey, weight loss is weight loss :-) I would just take it and be happy.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 06:40

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 170/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm the same way madpiano. The only thing I can think it may be is that, yes, we dont eat as much thus we consume less calories. Even though my inhibitions are lowered when I'm drinking, I've never gone off plan..so the fact that we still stick to our diet and have a few (maybe too many haha) drinks, we are drinking non caloric stuff, we consume less calories for the day,and the whole time we stay on plan. Do you do alot of dancing when you go out? I'm usually going out to dance so I also contribute the loss to exercise even though I'm drinking way too much? Though even when I chill out at home I still see a difference! Ahh! One more question, when you lose that weight do you keep it off or do you ever regain it in the following days? Oh well, I'm just glad were losing! hehe I think its wierd cause all that time were suppose to be mainly burning the alcohol, not fat. Hmm. But just wanted to let you know your not the only one that this happens to! =)
Brittany
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 20:11

BF:

Cool, I am glad to hear, that I am not alone here.
I don't go dancing, I am more of a pub-girl. The only thing is the hangovers. They are definitley worse on this diet. I only had 2 shots of Vodka yesterday, but I had a headache this morning....
But I do keep that weight off. Hmm, maybe we are on to something. The "New Vodka Diet". Let's go and write a book before someone else does....
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 23:37
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/205/180 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Sorry, somebody beat you to it:
Martini Diet: Weight-Loss Guide for the Self-Indulgent
by Jennifer Basye Sander
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 00:09
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi Hi --

alcohol definitely has a diuretic effect on the body, but only when you imbibe occasionally. If you drink on a regular basis it will all even out, and the calories will have to be included (if you count calories). Of course alcohol whill throw you out of ketosis until it is burned off.

Liz
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 04:47

BF:

hmm, Martini Diet....Is anyone still drinking that Stuff ?

Dierutic effect works on me though. If I drink one glass of Beer, I go to the toilet for 5.....
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 11:53

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I think Claudius said something about losing weight when he was drinking. I drink maybe once every couple of weeks or if I'm on business trips, usually vodka with water or selzer water. Doesnt help me lose weight though Wish it did!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 11:56
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Remember..you never really BUY a beer, you just rent it for a while.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 12:31
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

LOL, I like that saying Potatofree
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 14:32

Stats: 130.5/119.5/115 Female 4'10.5"
BF:32%/32%/22%
Progress: 71%

I don't normally drink but last night I went way way way over board so I hope that this works the same for me as it did for you. And yes I feel like such crap today I will NOT do this again until I've had a long enough time span to forget how incredibly awful I feel today. I had about 6 rum and diet cokes (I think) lost count after 4.

Anyway I've been drinking a lot of water all day I"m hoping I'll feel better soon. I pray that I feel better soooooooooon.

I keep wanting to eat something really bready though, like somehow it will make me feel better. I won't but I definitely want to.