Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 09:09

Plan: Atkins (started Sunday, N
Stats: 230/212/170 Female 64"
BF:HA-HA-HA
Progress: 30%
Question Hives ???? Rash ????? Anyone ????

Ok...I have tried to find some info on this and came across a couple of things that sounded simuliar but not exactly the same...OK...I have been on atkins 3.5 weeks and I started getting hives on my hands, back, and arms...they are not severe but they itch like crazy and if I scratch they look severe...My hands will look like I just got bitten by 20 or more mosqitios in one 2-3 inch area...I read one post on another site and it sounded like they were saying that an excess of protein could cause this...but they also said they started taking herbs that helped it...Does anyone have any info on this? If so please share I am so sick of itching.

If anyone does have info and you know what herbs can help please share with me...also my protein intake averages around 60-105...I am hoping someone can give me some info on this...Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 10:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/187/135 Female 5'4"
BF:Too much!
Progress: 16%

hey there happygrrl, I know how annoying hives and rashes can be. My mom has hives, but they were due to stress from a messy divorce. Has anything been stressing you lately? I have not read about the protein thing, but I have heard that certain foods can trigger hives. MAybe a process of elimination of new foods you've eaten will help. My mom and I both ttake Hydroxine pills from the doc, they controll that "gotta itch" feeling. Don't wear any tight clothing that may irritate the infected area, and stay away from wool and the like. I take a warm bath at night, put on comfy cotton sweats and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Try Aveeno lotion and body washes, they are great and contain oatmeal. Also, I have been recently taking flaxseed oil pills from the grocery store and have noticed a slight improvement in my rashes.

Good Luck!
Leigh
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 10:49
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

MadCabbit
Those lops are beautiful.. How old are the cuties? I myself have 9 lops and a few dwarfs...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 11:23

Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Hi happygrrl,

I'm not sure about protien - but my DH and daughter have skin issues.

You may want to check with a dermotologist. Another possibility could be that the skin outbreak is just coincidence to LC'ing -- I know there are a few skin conditions that can crop up out of no where for some people (like eczema or psoriasis) -- my husband gets psoriasis out of the blue and sometimes it looks a lot like hives. My daughter has chronic eczema and when she has a nasty outbreak, that also can look like hives or even poison ivy and it's itchy as all heck! I know with eczema winter months are the worst and some people only have break outs then.

There are perscription creams for both conditions that will give relief...so it may not hurt to see a derm to know for sure that it's not another type of rash.

Best of luck!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 13:01
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

Could be a food allergy or sensitivity too. My mother got an itchy, hivey rash head to toe about a month into the program. She is allergic to poultry, and was eating a LOT of eggs. After a trip to the MD for some IV prednisone and going home on a prednisone taper and zyrtec, she's just fine. Now she eats eggs rarely and doesn't break out.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 14:20

Stats: 197/187/135 Female 5'4"
BF:Too much!
Progress: 16%

Hi BlitzedAng--those buns are my babies, they are both about 8 months old now. Are you a breeder? I think buns are the best companion animals and they snuggle with me at night and are my alarm clock (7:00 each mornin grrr)!

Plagiomom--I have eczema and that is how mine is-here one day, gone the next. None at all during the summer (thank goodness), but it is hell in the winter. I use cocoa butter lotion and that has helped somewhat. Is there anything your daughter and husband use that helps? I'm always looking for better products since there is no cure.

HeyNeener--those pics of you are amazing! Keep up the awesome work!!

Last edited by MadCabbit : Wed, Dec-10-03 at 14:22.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 14:46

Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

MadCabbit -

My daughter was literally born with eczema - poor baby! She's only 3 and when we first started seeing the Derm at 2 years, he said it was the worst case he'd ever seen. Our Ped was trying to treat, but I tell ya, there's nothing like seeing a Derm!

To be honest, the best thing that we have found for my daughter is perscription Elidel. It's non-steriodal, so it can be used more then once a day, and can also be used on the face. Honestly, elidel has been like gold in a tube for us! Other then that, the other creams/lotions we use are over the counter Aquaphor and Eucerin (aquaphor works great after a bath - pat dry and apply and it's a nice protective layer to keep the moisture in) - and then we also use perscription Cutivate (for flare ups to relieve itch) and on occasion Bactroban (she has a high tendency to develope staph infections on the skin from scratching, so this is a topical antiobiotic if she breaks the skin)

My DH has a perscription cream - but to be honest, I can't remember what it is (it's steriodal). He actually uses my daughter Elidel and Cutivate when he has a break out because he says it's works better. lol. So he hasn't gotten it filled in a few months.

EDIT: I forgot we also just started using another cream to try in place of the Aquaphor (being winters are so harsh on her skin). It's called Elta the melting moisturizer - I get it through the Derm, but it's over the counter. They found it at some big Dermotologist convention and it's made by Swiss-American Products Inc. So far it seems pretty good, but I'm not sure yet that it is superior to Aquaphor for after bath time use. ALso another product that works great is Bag Balm (it's over the counter but my pharmasist has to order it for us) - unfortunately though my daughter won't use it because it "smells funny" Though the few times I have talked her into it, it did a great job!

Last edited by Plagiomom : Wed, Dec-10-03 at 16:13.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 15:18
Registered Member

Stats: 190/159/155 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 89%

I have had a very similar conditon recently, and doubt that it is diet related, since I have been on this WOL, rash and itch-free since July. I am attributing it to the colder weather, but have been seeing if I have added anything that could be causing this discomfort. Best of luck!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 15:35

Thanks everyone for the comments...I personally don't think it eczema because it is mainly on my hands and it only last for lets say 30 minutes and then it goes away...I honestly thought it was either the stress issue since a couple years back my hands did this when I had a very stressful job and now I am stressed out about test at school and my aggravating psychology teacher...but the thought that it may also be eggs has crossed my mind because thats the only thing I eat more of since I have been on this WOL...I think I am going to try and cut back on those and see if it helps...Also I have been taking flax oil for 3 months now due to cholesterol test coming back borderline high and my doctor recommending flax seeds or flax oiil...Well thanks everyone for the feedback.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 08:55

Lightbulb

Hello everyone...I was right it isn't eczema...I am allergic to aspartamine...I drank a 20oz root beer over the holidays and suffered severly for it (I itched so bad for 2 days) and after that I put 2 and 2 together and remembered that it started when I began eating sugar free jell-o which is sweetened with aspartamine...Well anyways I just thought I would post this in case anyone else has this issue...I haven't had any of this sweetener since Dec. 26th and I am doing great...I don't have anymore itching or hives...I would also like to say thanks to everyone who tried to help me by giving me ideas...Good bye
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 11:42

Stats: 232/168/160 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 89%

Those symptoms are happening to me and I did switch to aspartane drinks but I stopped when the rash appeared which was about 2 weeks ago.. ::looks at the atkins drinks:: eh well theres noo aspartane in these but I hope they arent causing a reaction too... but the rash is not going away, started on my stomach then arms on my neck now and starting on my face.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 12:10

Hey there...I just found out there is something else I am allergic to that is in the chocolate bars from atkins and the Russle Stover toffee/chocolates...Darn...I guess its is best to stay away from this stuff anyways but its nice for something sweet every now and then...I guess its all for the best
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 13:32
Registered Member

Stats: 213/193/145 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 29%

For me.....it was Peanuts and cashews...been eating them all my life, but must have overdone it....can't eat them at all now....very bad rash around my neck....and sometimes hives on my face. So, i just stopped, the rash is compeletely gone.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 01:36

Stats: 220/200/140 Female 5-5
BF:
Progress:
Default me too

Samt thing is happening to me. I started getting a small rash around the neck area when I started Atkins. I wasn't concerned about it at first, I thought it is detoxification. However, I am now concerned because it has spread to the back and chest.

It's good to read other people's experiences to have an insight as to what might be the cause. I have been drinking the diet drinks based on Splenda called Diet Rite and have been eating occasionally the Advantage bars. I will stop these and see what happens...
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 02:08

Stats: 220/200/140 Female 5-5
BF:
Progress:
Default addendum

Actually, I wanted to add that those products (Splenda, Diet Rite, Advatange bars, etc) have sucralose.