Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 22:26

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 206/204.5/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 3%
Question Breyers low carb Ice cream

Hello,
I am 4 days into the induction phase, and just discover Breyers low carb ice cream. It hass 4 grams of carbs per serving and is made with splenda. I had some last night and tonight, it was yummy. Now I am having second thoughts and wondering if it is okay to eat durining induction phase? it does have 4 grams of sugar listed.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 00:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Betsto, welcome to the forum.

I suspect you already know what I am going to tell you.
You will be far more successful if you stick to the plan as written. That means only eating the foods on the allowed foods lists. And, as you should know by now, ice cream doesn't appear there at all.

Don't worry too much about it, you are only human. Just get right back on plan.

All the best to you!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 21:44

Stats: 207/199/140 Female 5'10''
BF:
Progress: 12%

The allowed foods list really confuses me. It says to only eat whats on the list, but then on the sample induction menu there are foods listed that are not on the list
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 22:30

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 214/150/145 Female 5'4
BF:don't know anymore
Progress: 93%

just wanted to say. that i love the ice cream. i have had the choclate and the vanilla and love them!!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 10:11

Stats: 207/199/140 Female 5'10''
BF:
Progress: 12%

Last night at walmart I was reading the ingredients list. It contained corn syrup, which is not allowed on induction. There was an ice cream bar called lecarb that was only sweetened with splenda. I was tempted, but I'm going to wait until after I complete induction, or I might buy the bars so I can eat one while every one is eating there Thanksgiving desert, so I'm not tempted to sneak a peice of pie! and then save the rest for after induction
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 10:55

Stats: 250/248/160 Female 5'4
BF:BigBallaFat
Progress: 2%

During induction you should stay far away from "sweet" foods, even if they are low carb, because the first two weeks is all about breaking the "addiction" to carbs and sugar and it is important because you will crave sweetness if you don't break the addiction and that's bad because the cravings make it harder to stay on this WOE.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 11:06
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins-OWL
Stats: 201/162.3/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I'm glad you caught the corn syrup in the Bryers Carbrite. I don't want to eat it. I make my own icecream. 1 qt heavy cream, splenda and vanilla. Works fine in icecream maker. For chocolate add 2Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder and chocolate extract. For strawberry add some blended up strawberries, splenda and vanilla. You can also make it in ziplocks. Put the mixture in a small ziplock, smaller amounts of course). Put some ice and salt in a big ziplock add the small ziplock and squash around till it reaches the consistency you like. I like soft serve myself.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 13:51

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 206/204.5/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Thanks for all the info. I have decided to forego the icecream durining induction. My husband and I are both on the induction plan. we had our first weigh in this morning, he lost 8 lbs and I lost 1/2 lbs. we both ate the Ice cream last week. Also, I made the Panna Cotta from the recipe collection and it was delicious. I understand cream is okay on the induction plan.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 14:45

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I understand cream is okay on the induction plan.

Cream is allowed during induction, but it is limited to only a few tablespoons a day. Cheese is also limited to no more than 3-4 oz. per day.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 08:26

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 214/150/145 Female 5'4
BF:don't know anymore
Progress: 93%

im not on induction but when i stall ill know to stop eatin the ice cream. i have no time to make my own. the atkins endulge ice cream bars are good too.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 10:05

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

As Froggiebro said, you want to break that carb addiction during induction. Also, you get so few carbs that it's important that the ones you do get are as nutritionally significant as possible. Eat those three cups of veggies!!