Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 05:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%
Default Told my daughter her teacher was ignorant...

ooops! Probably shouldn't have done that because this kid will probably go tell her I said that...lol. This teacher was telling the class that Atkins isn't safe, blah, blah, blah...so I told my daughter to ask her teacher where she got her medical degree and ask if she had even read the book and whether or not she was aware of the recent studies that have come out over the past two years showing that not only is Atkins safe, but it appears to be healthier than the currently recommended American diet. Grrrrrrr!!! You know, I send my kids to school to be educated...lol...not to have their heads filled with inaccurate information

I am wondering if I should call the school and complain. (Nah...they probably already think I'm off the wall anyway.)

L
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 05:46

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 209/136/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 106%

whyspers?? I think the best thing you should have done was ignore the comments made by her teacher.. You know it works!!! I know it works!!! and one day her teacher may have a weight issue (maybe she already does but I don't know what she looks like) and she too will turn to the Atkins program to lose weight.. I know people that were totally against it as well and guess what?? NOW they are the ones that have turned to low carbing after witnessing me losing 73 pounds eating this way and going from a size 22-24 down to a size 8-10 ...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 06:21

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi L

I agree with Joanne, I'd let it drop. Everyone has their own opinion and whilst they should not be influencing others it might have just come out as a comment rather than a fact in class.

Opinion on Atkins is very diverse and most have no knowledge, just believing what they read. All we can do is educate by example.

Unfortunately there are many doing low carbing without reading the book or doing the research and they could get into health issues if they go at it wrongly. Like everything there is a right and wrong way.

Congratulations on your weight loss. You are not that far from goal.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 07:32

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I wouldn't let it drop. I would write the teacher to inform her of her misinformation. I homeschooled, and one thing kids should learn is the difference between an opinion and fact. What this teacher stated was an opinion. She should have made that clear to the class. If she is going to make such a statement she should be prepared to prove it.

Black57
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 07:54

Stats: 141.5/119/105 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

My son also came home and told me his Biology teacher told him Atkins wasn't a good diet because when you go off it you gain weight back. I was fuming inside but I calmly asked him what he thought would happen to people on Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig if they went back to eating the way the used to when they went off it.?
He knows he's smarter then most of the teachers anyway
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 08:05
Registered Member

Stats: 165/159/150 Female 68
BF:26% / 26% / 21%
Progress: 40%

I agree w/ Black, this teacher should not be stating something that she has no idea what she's talking about, as fact.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 08:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I hate it when teachers make some remark to the kids, that offends the parents. I would go talk to this teacher. Ask her how all the sugar in the diet is susposed to be healthy. Most of all I would just educate. Some people even teachers believe the negative news reports, instead of reshearching for themselves. But if all they have to hear are the negatives then it is our fault if we don't speak up.
Atkins is a science and that biology teacher should dig alittle deeper.
I agree, which diets won't you gain all the weight back plus more if you don't stick to their after diet rules. For any diet you cannot go back to the way you were eating prediet, we were all eating the wrong stuff and too much of it.
angie
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 08:14
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

i think i would say something to the teacher... but i wouldn't expect that to change her mind... or how she teachs for that matter... confrontation might even have a negative swing to it... causing her to push her "non-Atkin's" view even stronger...

I don't have kids... so have no knowledge of parent teacher relations... and how that is viewed.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 11:02

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

That's the bad thing about kids, you can ALWAYS be sure they will repeat what you wish they wouldn't lol. I don't think it was the teachers place to bad mouth Atkins.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 11:37
Registered Member

Stats: 207/177/150 Female 62.75''
BF:Shudder/Awful/Good
Progress: 53%

Quote:
My son also came home and told me his Biology teacher told him Atkins wasn't a good diet because when you go off it you gain weight back.

Well, DUH! Somebody needs to kick the teacher in the pants. Good for you on your answer to that one (I don't think I'd be able to restrain myself so well, personally). The difference is, with Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig, you HAVE to go off the diet, or spend your life starving. With Atkins, you CAN stay on it for life.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 11:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

My girlfriend's son is in school to learn how to be a chef. They have a nutritionist who told him that he would fail anyone who did Adkins. This is a very good school and I cant believe they are teaching this.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 12:32
Registered Member

Stats: 130/126/~115 Female 63 & 1/4 inches
BF:22%/20%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishghj
My girlfriend's son is in school to learn how to be a chef. They have a nutritionist who told him that he would fail anyone who did Adkins. This is a very good school and I cant believe they are teaching this.

This is something that really should not be happening! The purpose of nutrition classes is to learn about proper nutrition... if someone is actually a whole lot healthier on Atkins than off it, then by all means they should keep doing it! Particularly if this is a reputable school, the teachers need to be informed. I would call attention to this so-called 'nutritionist' by writing a letter to the head of the nutrition-department, if not the head of the school... preferably sending along a few of the new studies which suggest that the Atkins diet is actually very healthy!

Sheeshes.... my brother's ex-girlfriend became a chef through on of the Le Cordon Bleu schools up here in WA, and the woman was 5'6 and about 95 lbs. If the nutritionists there were nearly as picky as your g/f's son's team, she would have been hospitalized years ago. *growls* Sorry for ranting.... this just annoys me.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 14:39

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishghj

This is just me, but if I were in school and I was told that, I'd go to the head of the department (or higher if I had to) and complain. Telling someone that they will fail the class for making a personal decision in regards to what they do and don't eat is nothing short of interfering with personal freedoms. It's school, not the Army! Of course, if they were also telling students (and there are a lot of these) who live on a diet of basically junk food that they will also fail, then they might have a defensible position, but to single out ONE way of eating as criteria for failing a class...can we say discrimination???
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 15:14

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Default If it's not part

of the curiculum, the teacher shouldn't be discussing it.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 12:16
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I think this would be a chance to educate your child on fact vs opinion, but I really can't condone telling your child to act disrecpectfully toward the teacher, or have the kid going back to school with the attitude he/she is "smarter than most of the teachers anyway"...rather provide the child the correct information which, although studies are showing that Atkins is safe and effective, isn't conclusively proven to be the ONLY way to lose weight.

I agree that teachers shouldn't be presenting opinion as fact, but a lot of "fact" is really opinion depending on what side of the fence you're on. Teaching kids how to present an opposing viewpoint respectfully is an important lesson, IMHO.