Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 16:35

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 161/130/132 Female 5'7"
BF:40%/?/We'll see
Progress: 107%
Default Poll:Do you gain during ovulation

Like a big dummy, I posted it in my journal, so if you want to vote yyou will find it here.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 17:42

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

How timely! I was just commenting to my husband that over the weekend I seemd to have gained 2-3 pounds, but today I'm back at what I was on Friday.

I also chart to keep track of my cycles and ovulation and what do ya know! I ovulated over the weekend too!

Good to see I'm not the only one.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 18:21

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I definitely record a scale blip during ovuulation. Then I'm in 'fat burning mode' and it's gone - leaving me feeling leaner and meaner

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 18:52

Dear Natrushka,

do you mean you increase your fat intake during those gloomy days of our female lives? Is there anything to do, to your knowledge to lessen this ridiculous, and out of control (in my case - I gained 5 lb, more than during my period!!!) weight gain?

Help!Help!

Agnès
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 18:57

BF:

Agnès, sorry for the confusion! My "fat burning period" is shortly after ovuulation when my body temperature spikes as progresterone levels rise. This is typically when I would see large losses of fat and water. My cycles are between 5 and 6 weeks, the first half I never lost much and then halway through I hit ovuulation, blipped up, then lost pretty much 6 weeks worth of fat and water in about 10 days.

The best advice to help with that type of bloat is to keep sodium low, keep potassium up and drink lots of water. Avoid those fake foods and try to stick to the basics as much as possible. Oh exercise helps too.

Is 5 lbs a normal gain for you? Or was it special this time out? Could you be reacting to something you ate?

N
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 13:26
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I gained 3 pounds this TOM and it has not left. What's up with that? The only thing different I had was pepper sauce. I also increased my calories and my protein. Could that be it?

Peace
red
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 14:14

Natrushka,

thanks for the clarification. To answer your question, I have in the past week or so been snacking on salty foods (prosciutto, genoa salami), forgetting the nefarious effects of salt and thinking that I was doing something healthy by increasing my protein intake. It boggles the mind how much I still have to learn!!!

Interestingly, I seem to lose most after my period meaning I lose whatever water I have been retaining plus somehow extra weight. I guess this is how my metabolism works.

I did not know about potassium helping and I have some Cal/K which I am going to take. Thanks for this useful information.

I have lost some weight very suddenly - 3 lb - but I think I still gained
2 lb as I am down to 155 instead of 152. Oh well, that is how one learns!!!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 19:44

BF:

Red, have you measured lately? Whenever the scale does something like that it's helpful to pull out the old measuring tape and do a double check

Angès, LC is one big learning curve - we're all on it somewhere. Reading the posts on the forum helps me stay focussed and reminds me of things I'd forgotten - like the best ways to raise protein

Losing the water and a little bit more after TOM is not unusual - it's actually pretty common. To me it was always a sign that while my hormones were out of whack for a few days my body was still using fat as fuel.

Nat