Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Health (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Poll:Do you gain during ovulation (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=136112)

Agnes Tue, Sep-09-03 16:35

Poll:Do you gain during ovulation

Like a big dummy, I posted it in my journal, so if you want to vote yyou will find it here.

Thanks.

sourdaisy Tue, Sep-09-03 17:42

How timely! I was just commenting to my husband that over the weekend I seemd to have gained 2-3 pounds, but today I'm back at what I was on Friday.

I also chart to keep track of my cycles and ovulation and what do ya know! I ovulated over the weekend too!

Good to see I'm not the only one.

Natrushka Tue, Sep-09-03 18:21

I definitely record a scale blip during ovuulation. Then I'm in 'fat burning mode' and it's gone - leaving me feeling leaner and meaner ;)

Nat

Agnes Tue, Sep-09-03 18:52

Dear Natrushka,

do you mean you increase your fat intake during those gloomy :) days of our female lives? Is there anything to do, to your knowledge to lessen this ridiculous, and out of control (in my case - I gained 5 lb, more than during my period!!!) weight gain?

Help!Help!:)

Agnès

Natrushka Tue, Sep-09-03 18:57

Agnès, sorry for the confusion! My "fat burning period" is shortly after ovuulation when my body temperature spikes as progresterone levels rise. This is typically when I would see large losses of fat and water. My cycles are between 5 and 6 weeks, the first half I never lost much and then halway through I hit ovuulation, blipped up, then lost pretty much 6 weeks worth of fat and water in about 10 days.

The best advice to help with that type of bloat is to keep sodium low, keep potassium up and drink lots of water. Avoid those fake foods and try to stick to the basics as much as possible. Oh exercise helps too.

Is 5 lbs a normal gain for you? Or was it special this time out? Could you be reacting to something you ate?

N

red1cutie Fri, Sep-12-03 13:26

I gained 3 pounds this TOM and it has not left. What's up with that? The only thing different I had was pepper sauce. I also increased my calories and my protein. Could that be it?

Peace
red

Agnes Fri, Sep-12-03 14:14

Natrushka,

thanks for the clarification. To answer your question, I have in the past week or so been snacking on salty foods (prosciutto, genoa salami), forgetting the nefarious effects of salt and thinking that I was doing something healthy by increasing my protein intake. It boggles the mind how much I still have to learn!!!

Interestingly, I seem to lose most after my period meaning I lose whatever water I have been retaining plus somehow extra weight. I guess this is how my metabolism works.

I did not know about potassium helping and I have some Cal/K which I am going to take. Thanks for this useful information.

I have lost some weight very suddenly - 3 lb - but I think I still gained
2 lb as I am down to 155 instead of 152. Oh well, that is how one learns!!!

Natrushka Sat, Sep-13-03 19:44

Red, have you measured lately? Whenever the scale does something like that it's helpful to pull out the old measuring tape and do a double check :)

Angès, LC is one big learning curve - we're all on it somewhere. Reading the posts on the forum helps me stay focussed and reminds me of things I'd forgotten - like the best ways to raise protein ;)

Losing the water and a little bit more after TOM is not unusual - it's actually pretty common. To me it was always a sign that while my hormones were out of whack for a few days my body was still using fat as fuel.

Nat