Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 07:50
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins-neanderthin-"my way"
Stats: 140/124/124 Female 1.68 cm
BF:20.5%
Progress: 100%
Question How Many have reached goal and how did you get there?

I'd like to know how many of us have reached goal and how you've done it...?
What plan did you follow?
Did you work out?
and any other details...
Thanks ,
Mamasita
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 09:56
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

I started Atkins 8/27/02 weighing 186. I didn't exercise at all until January, when I started light weight training to tone up my arms for my wedding, but I was already in the 140s by that point. I hit my original goal of 140 in late March, after which I revised my goal to 20% body fat (135lbs) and began seriously working out (real weights 3x/week, cardio 3x/week). I hit 135 on the scale in late July, having also added 2 lbs of muscle over that period. I am now at 134 as of this morning, even though I'm trying to maintain. I never stopped losing for more than a couple weeks, except that I lost the last 5 lbs at a rate of 1lb/month.

I cheat very rarely -- had high-carb meals at Christmas and Thanksgiving, plus desserts every day on my honeymoon, but other than that it's been a single serving, and now just a single bite, of something non-LC every couple months. In the last two months, I've had a single tortilla chip, one sugar-free cookie, and half a real cookie. I've never done a carb binge, or a "carb blowout day", or fallen off the wagon.

I eat a million calories a day (well, OK, 1800-2000), and I'm pretty heavy on the protein (100-150g/day). After induction, I quit counting veggie carbs but kept other stuff (dairy, nuts, etc) to 10g per day, so was in the ~30g range. I added regular berries and yogurt after hitting my first goal, and now am eating apples, grapes, and starchy veggies, 50-60g/day. I seem to be losing faster at the higher carb level, so I'm trying to up it even more.

Oh, and I'm also relatively young (26), childless, have no hormonal/insulin issues, and don't take any potentially stalling meds. So my fast loss isn't entirely because of my eating/exercise behaviors -- I was lucky not to have any complicating factors.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 11:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Talking

Yes, yes, yes, I lost 30 lbs on Atkins. Started near the end of January 2003, hit goal weight the first week in May. I followed induction for 2 weeks, OWL after that, and so on, including weights, walking and water--all of which I was doing before Atkins, I just got more serious about it as a whole life-management program.

I use Atkins muffins, made from an Atkins mix, also Keto l/c oatmeal, quite a bit. And I always have 1/2 of an Atkins bar mid-afternoon to satisfy the sweet tooth. Otherwise, I eat meat and veggies-lots of veggies and salads, I love 'em-for lunch and dinner. I eat more than aonyone in my office and have the best shape, b/c of the l/c factor.

I no longer have the irresistable urge to fall asleep in the afternoon, and I'm not craving something 1/2 hour after a meal, either. My energy levels are MUCH higher than before, and my strength and endurance are much improved, also. Sometimes I think the side benefits are almost more important---nah...

I dropped from a size 18/20 to a 14/16-perfect for me, as i am tall. I absolutely LOVE the way I look in my clothes now!

I never counted anything, I just followed the program, eating until comfortable, then stopping--I figured I would have to learn to do that eventually, so I just started that way. I found it easy to follow b/c I love veggies and I like meat, chicken, seafood, too--I don't really miss bread or pasta, and I'm able to eat potatoes, so I'm really not suffering.

Thanks for asking, I hope you get a lot of replies, as I love to hear success stories!

#4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 13:37
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Hi, mamasita. Yes, I met my goal sometime last week. Started out on Atkins induction at the very end of May, then after two weeks switched over to Protein Power with the yogurt from the Go-diet added in. I lost most of the weight that I had to lose during induction, but it's been a steady half pound a week or so since then. I can honestly say that I have never cheated; I've not exceeded 35 carbs any day, and I've eaten absolutely no sugar, flour, starchy veggies, high glycemic fruits, etc. I DO watch calories, though, since I'm 53 years old and by now my metabolism is tired. So I limit myself to 1400 calories a day, which is actually much more than I could ordinarily get away with at my weight. My exercise consists of brisk walking about 3 miles a day almost every day and some calisthenics or Pilates from a tape three times a week.

My shape really hasn't changed, except that I dropped one pants size. But I don't expect miracles at my age.

I love this WOE and to my great surprise don't miss any of my former treats. In fact, it's amazing how wonderfully sweet things like broccoli and cherry tomatoes taste right now.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 14:24
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
In fact, it's amazing how wonderfully sweet things like broccoli and cherry tomatoes taste right now.

I used to hate bell peppers. After a few weeks on this WOE I tried some fajitas. The peppers in them were so sweet they tasted almost like candy. I relize now there is a good chance the resteraunt may of added sugar to the sauce, but probably not to much. Now I make my own fajotas at home putting in a small amount of brown sugar twin, wonderful
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 22:54
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins-neanderthin-"my way"
Stats: 140/124/124 Female 1.68 cm
BF:20.5%
Progress: 100%

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer...interesting,very interesting.
Everyone should read this.
Have a wonderful day!
Mamasita