Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:16
Registered Member

Plan: Suzanne Summers/Atkins
Stats: 240/250/145
BF:
Progress: -11%
Default Corn on Cobb - Gross Question

I hate to ask this but I will. I know corn on the cobb has a lot of carb grams (28). HOwever after I eat the corn, most of it appears hours latter in whole kernal form( if you know what I mean)

Therefore I was wondering if I were to eat an ear this summer, do I really need to count the carbs since it is not absorbed? Does it spike my insulin level either way.

Just asking because I know I will be tempted to have an ear sometime this summer and was wondering how bad it would effect me.

Thanks in advance for your advice on this strange subject. I also have the same situation happen with grilled onions which are legal low carb but am wondering if I absorb any of the carbs on those either.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 12:32

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

the veggies you eat are really important.

eat the corn if you want but watch it corn has sugar sugar (or more correctly can be converted to sugar) watch the really starchy veggies like corn and potatoes.

i could probably get away with eating 20 cups of lettuce but only 1/4 cup of corn. some carbs are better than others. i find i can eat a lot more carbs if they are almost purely fiber.

but dont be afraid to ever eat corn again - try it on a day when you have really watched your carb count and see exactly how it affects you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 13:17

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Cindy , that's funny!! I have exactly the same problem and had forgotten. I was just thinking the other day that I will allow myself the odd ONE cob of corn this summer when it's in season. I love the stuff - especially peaches and cream variety. I am planning a trip to Montreal to visit family in July/early August and the corn there is sooooooooo good. So, I will do just that - have a low-er carb day and enjoy my corn treat, along with bbq'd steak and salad. And check the result the next morning
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 15:16

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Sweet Corn has a glycemic index of 60. Compare that with the glycemic index of most low carb veggies and it's considerably higher which means it gets digested better than you would think even if the outside hull is left intact. It's the inside of the grain that raises the blood sugar.
An average ear of sweet corn has about 20 grams of carb. In OWL, an occasional ear probably won't do a lot of damage, but use with caution and observe the effect it has on you; whether or not it provokes cravings.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 18:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

OMG, I too dread the corn season!! I live right by 2 big farms that grow the best corn, picked all day, no day old stuff in this house! SO here I sit and can put as much butter as I like on it now, ( normally don't use any) and now I can't eat the darn corn

But my plan is to cut 1 1/2 inch, like pin wheels off the cob of hubby's or son's (we eat it everyday from 1 August til mid Oct) but not me this year, maybe a pin wheel 2x a week.

I'm sure by then my carb allowance should be able to handle it, August will be eights months for me.
Just one way I think I can deal with it. At dinner at friends one night she had cooked them that way in a casserole dish with butter, one satisfied me fine, but it was California corn, no comparison. (sorry Calf. posters, but it's most likely 4 days old before it hits our stores up here this time of year)

Cheers Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 20:12
Wombat Ashramite

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Cindy,

I just want to agree with LisaN. What you see after you've eaten the corn (ahem) is just the outfit the corn was wearing.

That said, if you want to eat corn, just be sure to count the grams and stay super-low carb with the rest of your food for the day. Pay attention to how the corn makes you feel. If it causes cravings, or makes you feel tired or causes you to retain water (evident on the scale the next morning) then it may be something you should chose to avoid in the future.

Happy Chomping,

Dig

P.S. Eating your corn with a meal containing protein and fat will help lessen the blood sugar impact overall. The other components will slow digestion of the sugars in the corn.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 07:33
Registered Member

Plan: Suzanne Summers/Atkins
Stats: 240/250/145
BF:
Progress: -11%

Thanks for all of the advice. I am glad I am not the only one who suffers with corn. I can feel it leaving me and trust me there are lots of whole kernals.

I will try it with protein and fat sometime this summer. I hope one cobb will not give me cravings. I have been treating myself for Candida and when I ate one Russell Stover SF mint patties I did not get my usual craving to eat many more. One was fine. I am hoping that a lot of my carb cravings came from Candida and now I am fighting back.

I will try to resist but I will not beat myself up if I have one. I know I have to loose this 100 pounds ASAP and WILL do it. I just need to find a woe that will allow an indulgence. After all I need to do this for the rest of my life. That is a long time to go without a cobb.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 16:51

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%

I just searched the forum looking for an answer and I'd like to thank you all for your input. I'm cooking pork roast for supper and had picked up corn on the cob for the family as a treat. It just seems like a crime not to have some - granted, it won't be the 3 or 4 cobs the "old me" would have snarfed down in the past - just one cob, and I'll be sure to test my blood sugar an hour or so after supper to see if it has major impact. I had green peas last night for the first time in 100 days and they had no effect. I was so happy I could've cried. I made sure to only buy 6 cobs too - one for each of us (well I bought 2 for dh but he can share!) LOL

Nicole
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 18:19
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

The problem is our bodies have a hard time digesting corn (and most plants/vegetables for that matter). Unless you chew it well, it will pass right through largely undigested. The good news is if you want to fix that problem, just be sure to chew the corn well before swallowing. The even better news is that a portion of the corn you ate passed right through you and had little or no impact on your carb intake.