Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 16:02
Registered Member

Plan: Southkins
Stats: 280/252/190 Female 5'9"
BF:Let's/notgo/there
Progress: 31%
Default So is anyone dining out? Where are you going?

One of the things that I really don't feel that I can give up is my date night on Friday night with my husband. This is the one time in our house that we can get together and talk about what has happened during the week and so forth. He and I are on two different shifts for the moment, so this is something that we do look forward to. Because I am off due to having comp time from my job, he and I were out together and my stomach was telling me that it was time to have lunch! At any rate, we were at the mall which has a food court and other than Subway, there was really nothing fast that I could partake of. I am not much on fast food, so that worked out fine. We decided to eat at Ruby Tuesdays (not a favorite of mine, but the hubby likes it) and they are advertising the fact they have a low carb menu. After investigating the selections, I opted for the chicken with broccoli and whipped califlower. Well, I have to be honest, I really didn't care much for their califlower.All I could think was it tasted like someone had put talcum powder in it and whipped it up! (That is just in case someone here is thinking about trying it) My husband tasted it and said the same thing so I know it wasn't just me! Has anyone found any of the chain restaurants (not talking fast food here) to be as accomodating to the SBD as everyone seems to be with Atkins at the moment or have you just found it easier to stay at home and eat so you don't have to take in the smells of the restaurants and so forth or are you still dining out? I didn't really find it terribly hard even though I am still in the induction phase of the diet, but I did find that since I am trying to eat heathy that some of the food seemed salty. I think the main reason that I may not have had a problem today is that I wouldn't normally go to Ruby Tuesdays. Had I been in the Cheesecake Factory, it might have been a different story...LOL! The one thing I find interesting about Ruby Tuesday is they are not endorsing either diet, they are just saying that they have "Thirty Low Carb Choices" . Was sort of funny to see pork rinds on the menu though...never thought I would see the day LOL!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 16:21
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 150/145/130 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 25%

I go out to eat all the time! If they don't have something low carb, I simply alter the menu to my specifications. For example, I see a filet mignon on the menu. I tell the waitress, "Can I get extra vegetables instead of fries?" If she says "No" - I say, "Don't put the fries on my plate please."

I've done the same thing at a number of places. Most places are really nice about substituting one side with another - but if they won't, just tell them not to put it on the plate. They can usually manage that without having to go through a manager.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 16:37

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 310/216/225 Male 6'-4"
BF:34/20/20
Progress: 111%

Applbee's....................Chicken Feista Salad
On the Border..............Taco Salad...hold the chips & beans, add extra lettuce & cheese.
Wendy's......................Chicken Caesar Salad
Souper Salad................Almost everything
Chili's..........................Low carb menu
Subway.......................Atkins "friendly" wraps
Longhorn Steakhouse.....Substitute broccoli for the potato/ pass on the bread.
Bar-B-Q places..............3 meat platter...ask them to serve the sauce on the side....that way you control the amount. Ask for a salad instead of fries.

Etc., etc., etc. Be creative. Don't be afraid to ask for substitutions! Afterall you are paying the bill.........

Bill..........310/268/225.......day 83...
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 16:41

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 310/216/225 Male 6'-4"
BF:34/20/20
Progress: 111%

One thing I forgot.

Most times, in a restaurant, the salads come with croutons and tomatoes.

I pitch 'em.

Bill
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 16:59
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 168/140/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 100%

I agree..More and more restaurants are beginning to cater to low carbers more and more. They should be able to substitue any potato or rice for fresh veggies or a side salad.. Also, if they serve bread, you can tell them to hold it from the beginning to aviod temptation

My DF and I still go out to the same places as we did before, I just tweak the menu the best that I can..