Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 00:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 341/284.0/210 Male 72
BF:Unknown/32.5/17
Progress: 44%
Default Buena Vida LC Tortillas

Just picked these up because of the last few I have gotten and been warned about Trans Fats (hydrogenated oils) I can not see any in the ingredients of these so without further ado I present the ingredients list for your viewing....

Water, Whole Wheat Flour, Soybean Oil, Oat Fiber, Soy Protein, Cellulose Fiber, Wheat Gluten, Leavening (sodium bicarbonate, sodium aluminum sulfate, sodium aluminum phosphate, calcium sulfate, fumaric acid, sodium acid pyrophosphate, salt,monocalciuim phosphate), Modified Wheat Protein, Yeast, Gum Blend (arabic, xanthan, locust bean, guar) Salt, CalciumPropionate (mold inhibtor), PotassiumSorbate (mold inhibitor), Mono and Diglycerides, Lecithin, Sorbic Acid (mold inhibitor), Enzymes, Sodium Metabisulfite (dough conditioner)

I dont know what alot of this is so I wanted advice on if any of these are trans fats in disquise of if these are good to eat I will be trying the tomorrow for breakfast (or should I say this morning lol) I will post back on the texture, taste, and edibility. Until then I am out!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 01:36

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

Yes, they dont have any Trans Fat in them. They are a good choice, and kudos to you for avoiding Trans Fats. Good Job!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 08:27

Stats: 341/284.0/210 Male 72
BF:Unknown/32.5/17
Progress: 44%

Great Moonwalker thank you for letting me know... they are actually very very good had 2 this morning i made a 3 egg omlette, 4 strips of bacon and heated 2 of these shells in the microwave for 10 sec. put the cheese down then 2 strips of bacon on each, then divided the omlette in half and rolled them up vioal my new favorite breakfast food.

Last edited by Unholy : Wed, Oct-27-04 at 08:11.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 11:11

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

This is the brand I buy and I LOVE them! Good flavor and they seem to be pretty strong for holding wet/messy foods.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 12:54

Stats: 156/135/130 Female 5' 2
BF:22 %
Progress: 81%

If something contains "trans-fat", does it acutally SAY "trans-fat" or can trans-fat be "disguised"? (Like sugar also being listed as "corn syurp")
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 00:51
Registered Member

Stats: 509/472/250 Male 6 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

I too had the same question about trans fats - I searched under trans fat on the web and found a lot of good informative stuff. First off I found that the stuff is HORRIBLE for you and can really mess up your heart - then I found that trans fats aren't listed as trans fats - they're listed as anything "partially hydrogenated" like partially hydrogenated vegetable oil - which to me seems awfully sneaky - because with the word "vegetable" in it it makes it sound healthy. I hope this helped - you may want to check out the web for yourself and read up on it, scary stuff. Oh and GOOD for you unholy! - I also was on a mission (no pun intended) to find some non trans fat low carb tortillas - mine are Santa Fe Tortillas (really good) - I'll have to keep an eye out for the brand you found and try them! Thanks for the post!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 05:48

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

alrightguy is exactly right, Trans Fats are very dangerous and should be avoided at all costs. - To tell if a product has Trans Fats in it, check the ingredients list of the food. It will have either "hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated" or "shortening" or "margarine" in the list somewhere. Usually its "partially hydrogenated vegetable oil."

take care guys.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 22:18

Plan: proteinpower
Stats: 123/122/121
BF:
Progress:

but i heard that 'soybean oil' is generally hydrogenated in products and thats what worries me... i always try to get products that say 'expeller pressed' or something like that... or i'll contact the company to find out and tell them i'll sue the pants off them if they're hiding crap in there!