Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Buena Vida LC Tortillas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=216406)

Unholy Tue, Oct-26-04 00:43

Buena Vida LC Tortillas

Just picked these up because of the last few I have gotten and been warned about Trans Fats (hydrogenated oils) I can not see any in the ingredients of these so without further ado I present the ingredients list for your viewing....

Water, Whole Wheat Flour, Soybean Oil, Oat Fiber, Soy Protein, Cellulose Fiber, Wheat Gluten, Leavening (sodium bicarbonate, sodium aluminum sulfate, sodium aluminum phosphate, calcium sulfate, fumaric acid, sodium acid pyrophosphate, salt,monocalciuim phosphate), Modified Wheat Protein, Yeast, Gum Blend (arabic, xanthan, locust bean, guar) Salt, CalciumPropionate (mold inhibtor), PotassiumSorbate (mold inhibitor), Mono and Diglycerides, Lecithin, Sorbic Acid (mold inhibitor), Enzymes, Sodium Metabisulfite (dough conditioner)

I dont know what alot of this is so I wanted advice on if any of these are trans fats in disquise of if these are good to eat I will be trying the tomorrow for breakfast (or should I say this morning lol) I will post back on the texture, taste, and edibility. Until then I am out! :wave:

Moonwalker Tue, Oct-26-04 01:36

Yes, they dont have any Trans Fat in them. They are a good choice, and kudos to you for avoiding Trans Fats. Good Job! :)

Unholy Tue, Oct-26-04 08:27

Great Moonwalker thank you for letting me know... they are actually very very good had 2 this morning i made a 3 egg omlette, 4 strips of bacon and heated 2 of these shells in the microwave for 10 sec. put the cheese down then 2 strips of bacon on each, then divided the omlette in half and rolled them up vioal my new favorite breakfast food.

mammac-5 Tue, Oct-26-04 11:11

This is the brand I buy and I LOVE them! Good flavor and they seem to be pretty strong for holding wet/messy foods.

Huskerchic Tue, Oct-26-04 12:54

If something contains "trans-fat", does it acutally SAY "trans-fat" or can trans-fat be "disguised"? (Like sugar also being listed as "corn syurp")

alrightguy Wed, Oct-27-04 00:51

I too had the same question about trans fats - I searched under trans fat on the web and found a lot of good informative stuff. First off I found that the stuff is HORRIBLE for you and can really mess up your heart - then I found that trans fats aren't listed as trans fats - they're listed as anything "partially hydrogenated" like partially hydrogenated vegetable oil - which to me seems awfully sneaky - because with the word "vegetable" in it it makes it sound healthy. I hope this helped - you may want to check out the web for yourself and read up on it, scary stuff. Oh and GOOD for you unholy! - I also was on a mission (no pun intended) to find some non trans fat low carb tortillas - mine are Santa Fe Tortillas (really good) - I'll have to keep an eye out for the brand you found and try them! Thanks for the post!

Moonwalker Wed, Oct-27-04 05:48

alrightguy is exactly right, Trans Fats are very dangerous and should be avoided at all costs. - To tell if a product has Trans Fats in it, check the ingredients list of the food. It will have either "hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated" or "shortening" or "margarine" in the list somewhere. Usually its "partially hydrogenated vegetable oil."

take care guys.

argo2d Wed, Oct-27-04 22:18

but i heard that 'soybean oil' is generally hydrogenated in products and thats what worries me... i always try to get products that say 'expeller pressed' or something like that... or i'll contact the company to find out and tell them i'll sue the pants off them if they're hiding crap in there! :)