Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 17:40

Plan: no specific plan
Stats: 258/264 :(/160
BF:
Progress:
Talking Hellooo out there!

May I just say first...ohhh, smileycons! My favourite.

I'm not specifically low-carb, but I am type II diabetic on no meds (just diet and exercise for the past year)! I need to lose 100lbs to get healthy and that may control the diabetes. Oh, I'm only 25 so that's why the reluctance of the Doc to put me on meds.

I live in Vancouver with my hubby, 2 cats and 2 rats (my handle is really Artemis_rat but I didn't count the characters and it chopped the end off).

Just came off Depo-Provera, which caused some problems with blood-sugar, and now I am GAINING weight! That's why I decided to look for a supportive group of people to shoot the proverbial sh*t with, see if I can motivate my ass and learn a few techniques about diet into the bargain.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 18:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/163/145?
BF:
Progress:
Cool Welcome

Hey there Artemis-ra"t". Glad you found this forum because besides providing lots of inspiration, it will give you so much info on the health aspects of lowcarbing. Doreen, in particular, has lots of info on specific health problems such as diabetes etc. so ask away. Check in daily or more often because you will be buoyed up every time you come here! Personally I am on the Atkins program and am having success, although at the moment I am in a bit of a stall. Probably need more water. Anyway, welcome once again and good luck in this new wol.
Cheers,
Lara
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 17:47

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Hello!

Hello Artemis Rat!

It is very nice to meet you! I am sure this WOE will help quite a bit. My fiance is a type I diabetic. One night he made us a dinner suitable for me to eat to. He took is insulin, ate dinner, and his sugar dropped like a rock. He didn't realize just how little your blood sugar goes up when you don't eat carbs (he had to scarf down cookies to try and get his sugar back up so that he didn't into a coma). I can just imagine how good this would be for type II diabetes.

PS. My psuedo on ICQ is Artemis...Are you an archer?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 19:31

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Welcome Artemis_raT

You've found a great site for information, and support

If you haven't already, check out the sub-forum on Diabetes / Insulin , you might find some helpful hints.

Best of luck to you,
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-01, 08:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome artemis_rat!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 11:25

Plan: no specific plan
Stats: 258/264 :(/160
BF:
Progress:
Wink

Hi all,

Thanks for your Hellos!

I agree that reading up on this is a great way to feel better and more enthusiastic about this.

I didn't even notice the sub-forum on diabetes yet so I really appreciate that bit of info. It takes a while to navigate everywhere!

Actually, I came by Artemis-rat as a handle many years ago when I first started to read Greek Mythology and then (finally) managed to convince my Mum to let me get a rat (I'd been begging for years). As a name for my first wee rattie, Artemis seemed to call to me:

Artemis -

virgin huntress - I was a virgin at the time and convinced that I always would be
moon - I am a Pagan so I have a special reverence for the moon
moon - rats are nocturnal
twin - her twin bother is Appllo and I am a Gemini (The Twins)

I use Artemis_Rat is honour of the Goddess and of my baby rat who is in the SummerLand now (She lived to the grand old age of 5 years!)

(Possibly more than you wanted to know?? teehee!)

You are an archer living in Surrey, BC? Perhaps you study via the SCA with someone I work with? His name is Luc Vail.

- Michelle