Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 14:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 133/126/112
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Sky News Scare!

Hi everyone I was just wondering if anyone saw the Sky news on Saturday 14th of September, something about the Atkins Diet and someone being sued. I myself missed it but had my Mother and several relations phoned me telling me it was dangerous and to come of it at once as it affected your organs over a period of time, claiming you are missing out on various supplements. I love this way of eating and have felt great on this diet but I must say I am rather worried, can anyone shed any light on this. Confused ukrose
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 16:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%
Default Don't panic yet

I wouldn't do anything yet. An awful lot of frivolous lawsuits are filed these days. Anyone can sue anyone. It doesn't mean a claim has merit. People today believe that if something bad has happened to them, it must be someone else's fault, preferably someone with a deep pocket.

Stay cool.

Sheldon
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 09:32

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

If low carbin was dangerous for your health the human race would have died out long ago.

And for something a little closer to home, the Inuits people lived for centuries on a diet composed mostly of meat. Studies of death records shows they were healthy and fit. They started acquiring the diseases of civilization only after they became more "civilized" i.e. eat like North Americans do.

The only thing that worries me with this lawsuit is will it be enough for the plaintiff to say... see I developped these diseases and bring "expert" witnesses only too happy to lay the blame at Atkins' feet or will the so called expert be required to have real proof in the form of studies. Of course the defense would bring their own studies and experts.

Judges are not medical experts. I don't know what it would come down to.... credibility of witnesses ? Who has the bigger stack of studies to prove their point ? Judge rolling a dice ?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 09:58

Another thing about this suit, whatever it is. The plaintiff chose to go on the diet. Atkins didn't force him. Life is risk. We should try to make as informed a choice as we can. But no one is omniscient. Atkins obviously has perpetrated no fraud on the plaintiff. He gives the best advice as he sees it in his long years of experience as a diet expert and cardiologist. Many people have used the diet successfully. If someone tries it and (for whatever reason) has a bad reaction , that should not be something one can recover damages for.

When such suits routinely win, all kinds of experts, especially mavericks, will be driven from the marketplace because they won't be able to afford the liability insurance. And we will all be poorer for it.

This is like the suits against the tobacco companies and now the fast-food chains. People act. That means they make choices. The consequences are theirs. These suits are simply an escape from self-responsibility.

Sheldon
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 12:13
Registered Member

Plan: Little of everything
Stats: 293/247/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

There is no lawsuit, I found the article on sky ones web site. They only say physicians could be sued, which is the pcrm's silly assertion. The pcrm is a is a front for vegan groups, it is supposedly non profit, yet it's board consists of nothing but low fat vegan diet guru's with best selling books, most notably Ornish, McDougall and Banard all militant anti meat people.

In any case their evil little plan is working, people actually now think there is a lawsuit when their is none!

Below is the silly little news story.

Celebrity Diet Slammed

Would-be slimmers have been warned against following a controversial celebrity diet that has been made trendy by a host of stars.

The best-selling Atkins plan, a high protein, low carbohydrate diet, claims to help burn off body fat without the hunger.

Geri Halliwell and Catherine Zeta Jones are among its advocates.

But doctors in the United States are now advising patients that the diet could do them long-term harm.

Lawsuit

Doctors have been warned by medical groups that they could be sued for recommending the diet.

And experts in Britain warn a diet of meat and fat could lead to long term health problems, including kidney problems, heart disease, osteoporosis and even cancer.

"It is far too low in carbohydrates, fruit and vegatable, which lower the risk of intestinal cancer," said Wendy Doyle of the British Dietetic Association.
Advocates of the Atkins diet claim that by cutting out carbohydrates the body burns up it's own fat reserves for fuel.

'Carbohydrate awareness'

They reject conventional health messages that fatty foods cause heart disease and obesity.

Colette Heimowitz said: "When you cut out fat you are forced to increase carbohydrates. We are a sedentary population. We are not burning all those fats we are taking in so it's our mission to bring carbohydrate awareness to the US public and reverse the trend."

That's rejected by dieticians. They say the only way to control weight long term is to eat less, eat healthily and exercise more.

Last Updated: 16:04 UK, Saturday September 14, 2002
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 12:24

MrFrumble--

Good investigative work. Thanks for the clarification!

Sheldon
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 12:27

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFrumble
Colette Heimowitz said: "When you cut out fat you are forced to increase carbohydrates. We are a sedentary population. We are not burning all those fats we are taking in so it's our mission to bring carbohydrate awareness to the US public and reverse the trend."

Huh? Who is this person? And whose side is she on? I don't get this.

Sheldon
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 13:39

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Colette Heimowitz, M.S., is the Director of Education and Research at Atkins Health and Medical Information Services.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 13:43

Is it me, or is that quotation confusing?

Sheldon
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 14:06

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

Yes, it is very confusing.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 16:48
Registered Member

Plan: Little of everything
Stats: 293/247/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

I think if you replace the one word "Fats" with carbohydrates, then it makes sense. It should be "We are not burning all those carbohydrates".

I think it is a typo on Sky New's part.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 17:17

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

That's what I was thinking. Either they misquoted her or it's a typo.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 17:34

Thanks, I guess that's right. We don't know what else she said that was not quoted. Of course, the issue is not just being sedentary. Many of us are not. High carbs are bad even if you're very active.

Sheldon

Last edited by Sheldon : Wed, Sep-18-02 at 06:15.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 15:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 133/126/112
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Sticking with it!

Thank you to everyone who answered my query. I am sticking with my new way of eating and I am on my fourth week. Thank you again UK_rose