Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 05:48

Plan: n/a
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default diagnosing food intolerance/allergy

HELP??

I have a feeling my husband has a food intolerance/allergy and would like to try and figure out what it is.

I read on here somewhere that it is likely that foods you often crave are usually those you are intolerant to.

He gets headaches, stomach aches, general feeling of not well, every once in a while (once every week/2 weeks etc) and haven't been able to find a conclusive link when I ask him what he's eaten that day.

So I was thinking of trying to put him on a diet that I set out & track how he feels but I dont know what to include, not to include to get started. I dont even know what categories to lay out to start eliminating.

Does anyone have any ideas? or good links? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 06:38
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

There is a lot of information on this on the web, just stick in food allergy or intolerance in google. I found a simplified website that explains the difference between a true allergy and an intolerance:

http://www.foodallergynews.com/Gene...Information.htm

This site also lists the most common foods people react to-that would help you start an elimination diet. I cannot eat broccoli or at least the florets-they make me dreadfully sick for about 12 hours. It took me FOREVER to figure that out. You might also want to look at MSG as a culprit. Many people are sensitive to that food additive and glutamate is found in many natural foods (broccoli among them).

http://www.msgfacts.com/lookatfacts.html

Lastly, you might want to consult your doctor or a nutritionist. They can do tests for an actual allergy or help you determine what foods he is reacting to if it is an intolerance.

Keep us posted!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 08:15

BF:

Thank you so much... I appreciate your help more than you know.

I'm off to go read up on it...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 17:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/203/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Red face Rotation Diet for Allergies

You might look for a text called Dr. Mandell's Rotation Diet. He is an allergist in Conneticut that my brother had gone to years ago.
Explains a lot how to reintroduce foods so you won't react to them.

Jan
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 18:56

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

Hi! I was diagnosed with food allergies, after being tested by an allergist. Your regular doc should be able to refer you to an allergist.

Just a caution about the food elimination diet - this was before I low carbed by the way, and you are supposed to give up wheat. So I went and got rye bread. Then I got even sicker, and finally just gave up and went to my doctor, who sent me to the allergist. Turns out I was allergic to RYE. So, be careful. I would try the allergist route first.

Good luck, food allergies are miserable.

-Denise
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 03:42

BF:

Thanks for the tip... hubby hates doctors... he says thats why he married me (haha) so he never has to go to a doctor again... I'll just "doctor" him instead...

I will definitely try to pursuade him to come with me to the Dr.

Thanks for the suggestions... very helpful