Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 12:54

Plan: 20 grams
Stats: 144/128/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Not Losing Anymore

I Need Help, I Have Been On For About 6 Weeks, Lost 12 Pounds, I Have About 10 More To Go, But I Have Stalled. I Have Not Lost Anything In About 3 Weeks, I Only Eat 20 Carbs A Day, But I Will Eat Anything To Make Those Carbs, Like Low Carb Bread, Salads, Strawberries, The Only Thing I Eat With Starch In It Would Be The Bread Should I Quit Eating Things Like This. Please Help Me. Any Suggestions.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 13:01
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Well your so close to goal that it's natural to slow down. You've done real good, that's something to be proud of. If you haven't started OWL I suggest you do. This may help move things along again and try uping the carbs to 25 or 30, this could help too IMO.

I'd skip the bread unless it's lc and even then I wouldn't eat alot of it.

Remember a stall isn't a stall unless it's been 6 weeks or more.

If your not exercising, start this too. I know when I started exercising the weight started coming off more.

Good luck. Your almost there.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 13:03

Plan: -----
Stats: 288/-/- Female 5'4.5
BF:
Progress: 7%

hello ,,i dont think youre suppose to eat the low carb breads and things like that til your done with the 2 week induction period ,, but i am not really sure ,,i would just strickly fallow the induction for now and see how it goes
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 13:06

BF:

Well I Have Been On It For 6 Weeks, I Am Past Induction I Just Thouht That If I Didnt Add More Carbs Tht Would Be Ok
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 13:15

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I ate bread after my two week induction but I added it back really slowly. Only 3 slices a week or less at first. Also I was really careful about my portions when it came to berries and cheeses. If you are eating a LOT of the LC bread you might just try cutting back on it a bit. Even a single sandwich really puts a lot of carbs into one meal if you are staying at 20 carbs. You want to try to spread out your carbs evenly if you can manage it. Other than that, try using fitday. Sometimes that helps pinpointing a problem.

Jenn
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 13:21

BF:

Ok What Is Fitday, I Think My Problems Are I Am Not Eating Right, I Dont Eat 3 Full Meals A Day, I Think I Will Start Completely Over And Take Out All Starch Foods. I Only Eat Lunch And Dinner, I Am Not A Big Morning Eater, Mabye I Will Have To Be Thanks.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 13:23
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:

Fitday is a free account where you keep track of what you eat and it tell you how many calories, carbs, fats you've eaten daily, amonst other info.

www.fitday.com....it's free.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 14:25
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I would also like to add, that it is very normal to stalled out around the 3 to 6th week. This happens to a lot of people. It doesn't mean the eating style is not working for you, its just your body readjusting to every. Including losing 10 pounds. For someone with your weight, that is a large amount for your body. You may notice more in this time frame your body shifting things around. Keep in mind this is a life style, and with so little to lose, wouldn't you be better concerating on what you are eating and not what the scale is saying?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 14:26

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

Keep in mind you may be putting on muscle, which is more dense than fat so is less noticeable.

How have your measurements changed?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 15:21
Registered Member

Plan: atkins (mainly)
Stats: 310/254/200 Male 71"
BF:
Progress: 51%

It is hard to say what the reason is when you only had so few pounds to lose to start with. It is really easy to figure out what is wrong when you have 110 pounds to go, but not so easy when it is only 10 and you only were after 20 odd pounds to start with.

Without knowing more about you and your dietary habbits and needs (i.e. hieght, age, activity level and calories eaten) my first guess is you have been eating at induction levels for too long and are probably eating too high of a fat percentage to effectively lose more weight. While gaining muscle or dehydration could explain this away your lack of weight loss, you didn't say how much exercise you are getting or how much you are drinking (also remember a leaner body needs more water and needs it more frequently than fat giggly bodies in order to lose weight efficiently). So barring both of those I will stick with you have been eating at induction levels for too long as my assesment.

Induction was only meant to get you buring fat and break your carb cravings not as a long term WOE. As soon as your body becomes efficient at burning fat in induction mode you lose the benefits of it and it makes for some tough weight loss.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:47
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal

You've heard it all.

Fitday...it will help people here help you more (you can make it public).

Stalls are normal...

Measure yourself, everyone has times when their shape is changing, but not their weight.

You didn't mention exercise....exercise is a good thing.

GL...keep to it, it will happen.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 12:41
Registered Member

Plan: Cudmore
Stats: 342/310/180 Male 68
BF:34
Progress: 20%

Think about switching from 3 meals a day to 5 to 6 smaller meals evenly spaced out over the course of the day. The theory is that the smaller meals will help keep your metabolic motor going through out the day.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 13:37

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Watch you calorie levels. Cut the bread. Are you adding any
polyols? (Sugar alcohols. Maltitol etc>)
Jag
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 08:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/gastric bypass
Stats: 278/130/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I hit a stall once and was totally ticked at my body. I had called a weight trainer. He said when your body gets used to the same amt of calories/carbs AND exercise, It adjusts to use only that amount. He said the trick is keep changing the amount. If you've been on 20 Carbs for 6 weeks, 25 might help. He said also you do not have to increase the time spent on exercise just the intensity and add weight resistance. So I speeded up my intensity and added a short work out video with small weight and WALLA, Scale moved the same day. I had also been eating the same thing because I frankly was too lazy to figure out what I wanted. Now I vary my meals. I eat between 20-28 carbs a day. SOme days I eat 30-35 and sometimes the scale will go up a lb BUT the next week I drop below what I was. He said the body is like a machine that will burn and use what you give it. If you deny it fuel, it simply becomes more efficient!, Great Huh? Also Make sure you are getting at least 64OZ of water a day. I did a post on "sick of water" recently. I got lots of good ideas into getting all my water in. I still struggle with it. Sugar Alcohols and Aspertame stop me dead in my tracks, watch for these ingredients especially in all LC foods or breads. Finally you are close to goal. My weekly weight loss has slowed to about .5 to 1lb a week now myself, down from 2-3. It happens. Congrads on your success!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 08:19

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal465
I Need Help, I Have Been On For About 6 Weeks, Lost 12 Pounds, I Have About 10 More To Go, But I Have Stalled. I Have Not Lost Anything In About 3 Weeks, I Only Eat 20 Carbs A Day, But I Will Eat Anything To Make Those Carbs, Like Low Carb Bread, Salads, Strawberries, The Only Thing I Eat With Starch In It Would Be The Bread Should I Quit Eating Things Like This. Please Help Me. Any Suggestions.

You have have a very good losing history. Your body lost a lot of weight in the first 6 weeks and it needs a rest. You should no longer be in induction and should be eating more carbs than just 20 per day. As someone mentioned earlier, lean muscle weighs more than fat, have you noticed that you have lost inches? Exercise helps. Increasing your allowable (in the form of vegetables and berries, not bread) carbs is my first suggestion. Letting your body decide it's ideal weight would be my second.

Last edited by Hellistile : Wed, Apr-28-04 at 08:27.